Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY home water filtration

DIY home water filtration

I like Sharkbite stuff and have used it successfully. It’s time for a water filter for my well water, as I just had to replace water heater elements all gunked up with mineral deposits.

Is it me or does this kit seem pretty danged expensive?
    #RESIST

I just have a standard canister style whole house water filter coming out from the well pressure tank. The original owner used some wound string filters but I've been using Filtrete and have been very satisfied. So far my appliances have been very happy.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Seems very expensive but if it works as advertised, then worth it. Having had worked installing and selling water filtration on the side for a friend, I still love RO, but If you have a ton of build up you may possibly be replacing filters monthly... That gets expensive. And us #poorfags need to keep it cheap.

That seems way too expensive. I am running a whole house cartridge filter similar to this; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-8...System/1201339

Depending on the season, I can get 3 weeks to 6 months out of a 5 micron filter. If you want to go bigger there is this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-S...ystem/50412472 Add a hand full of shark bite fittings and you good to go.

FYI, most of the filter housings are the same in regards to filter size and there is multiple types of filters to meet your needs.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 07-28-2019 at 08:14 PM. Reason: to add

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    That seems way too expensive. I am running a whole house cartridge filter similar to this; https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-8...System/1201339

Depending on the season, I can get 3 weeks to 6 months out of a 5 micron filter. If you want to go bigger there is this https://www.lowes.com/pd/Whirlpool-S...ystem/50412472 Add a hand full of shark bite fittings and you good to go.

FYI, most of the filter housings are the same in regards to filter size and there is multiple types of filters to meet your needs.
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. Is 5 micron good for pretty clean, non sulphurous well water, or go smaller?
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    That’s exactly what I was thinking. Is 5 micron good for pretty clean, non sulphurous well water, or go smaller?
    I've been using 5 micron for going on 16 years. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    This is my non-expert opinion, It should work. That said, 1 micron is the finest I have found and it is too fine for my well.. I do have a friend that runs a series of filters. If I remember correctly he runs a 5m, 1m and a carbon filter. He put the 1m to save the carbon filter and only has to change those like once a year. For me the more it rains the faster I have to change mine. When we had the drought a few years ago I went almost 9 months on one filter. I get my replacements at Tractor Supply, a 2 pack is $8. Make sure you put the filter in a place with easy access. Under the kitchen sink is not easy access when you get older. Two years ago I put in a tall pantry cabinet and replumbed so I could put the filter in at chest height. Another pro tip just came to me, put in a quarter turn valve at the filter. When you close the valve you can turn on any faucet down stream to relieve the pressure. Last thing, pick up a tin of plumbers grease to lube the gasket to keep it from sticking. Its a food safe 100% silicon.

...and buy spare O-rings. (I usually lube mine with a light dab of petroleum jelly.)

@FES313, do you just change yours when you notice the water pressure drop?

I used to change mine based upon time or the look of the filter but a local plumber, (who lives out your way but is now retired, I believe), just told me to stop doing it on time / look and wait for the water pressure to drop.

That said, I get a long time out of the six month rated Filtrete filters I linked to above. I can get between six months and a year
    Last edited by blues; 07-29-2019 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    ...and buy spare O-rings. (I usually lube mine with a light dab of petroleum jelly.)

@FES313, do you just change yours when you notice the water pressure drop?

I used to change mine based upon time or the look of the filter but a local plumber, (who lives out your way but is now retired, I believe), just told me to stop doing it on time / look and wait for the water pressure to drop.

That said, I get a long time out of the six month rated Filtrete filters I linked to above. I can get between six months and a year
    I change mine when the wife tells me she cant get the shampoo out of her hair which is way sooner than I think it needs. By the time I notice the pressure drop the filter is really caked up. I don't know what type of source they hit when they drilled my well because during the rainy season the water will rise to just a few feet below the top. It really keeps the well stirred up. During the dry periods it only drops to a bout 10 foot down. The good thing is I will never run out of water.

Drop the Vaseline and get some plumbers grease. The jelly will cause the rubber to harden and leak. I'm still on a 17 or 18 year old gasket.
    Last edited by Crazy Dane; 07-29-2019 at 09:01 AM. Reason: to add

Quote Originally Posted by FES313 View Post
    I change mine when the wife tells me she cant get the shampoo out of her hair which is way sooner than I think it needs. By the time I notice the pressure drop the filter is really caked up. I don't know what type of source they hit when they drilled my well because during the rainy season the water will rise to just a few feet below the top. It really keeps the well stirred up. During the dry periods it only drops to a bout 10 foot down. The good thing is I will never run out of water.
    I hear that. We haven't had any issues thus far. (House was three years old when we purchased it from original owner / builder.)

Sometimes I'm amazed that the pressure seems to still be normal (for our setup) after a pretty good length of time despite the look of the filter through the clear filter housing.

My neighbor up the road, who I just sold my 686+ to last night, has a setup in his basement like you alluded to above. Three filters mounted on the wall at about chest level. We have only ever had the one filter setup and I've been using the 5 micron for years. I tried two micron at one time but didn't like the way it worked and got rid of it pretty quickly.

The joys of living in the country. (Wouldn't trade it.)

User Tag List