Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Win M70 Pre-64 Featherweight Scope Mount and Rings

Win M70 Pre-64 Featherweight Scope Mount and Rings

Hello. Have a Win M70 Pre-64 Featherweight .30-06 that I need to scope. Anyone have suggestions on a good, one-piece mount and some rings? I haven't decided on the scope, yet. Probably a Leupold of some sort, would prefer 30mm tube, although something a bit lighter like a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 might be good. Would just like to have something that's bright lower-light. I know the scope will dictate whether medium or high rings, etc. (much prefer low or medium rings).

Thanks for any help.

R.
    Last edited by Rack; 07-28-2019 at 05:03 PM.

I've always used the Warne 2 piece bases and the Maxima QD rings. The rings are low and have a repeatable zero, the bases also work with anything that will fit on a Picatinny rail(like an aimpoint t-1 on the front mount with a QD mount as a close/fast sight or back up sight). The only thing I don't like about these QD rings is that the lever is sharp so I generally break the sharp edges with a file and spray paint them before install.

I think Nightforce used to make a one piece picatinny that would fit the Pre-64s but I'm not sure if they still do.
    Last edited by secondstoryguy; 07-28-2019 at 05:08 PM.

Every Pre-64 I have glass on is wearing a Talley QD setup. These are the pre-64 options I know of but I'm sure there are more. 1pc options: Ken Farrell pic rail with choice of compatible rings or vintage Redfield base and rings from ebay. 2pc options: Talley / Warne / Leupold.

Just out of curiosity, why do you want a 1piece?

I find 1 piece mounts hinder 1 handed carry. I like my thumb to sit right behind the front ring.

Quote Originally Posted by 36trap View Post
    Every Pre-64 I have glass on is wearing a Talley QD setup. These are the pre-64 options I know of but I'm sure there are more. 1pc options: Ken Farrell pic rail with choice of compatible rings or vintage Redfield base and rings from ebay. 2pc options: Talley / Warne / Leupold.
    Me, too, and I have a bunch of pre 64 based rifles.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Rack View Post
    Hello. Have a Win M70 Pre-64 Featherweight .30-06 that I need to scope. Anyone have suggestions on a good, one-piece mount and some rings? I haven't decided on the scope, yet. Probably a Leupold of some sort, would prefer 30mm tube, although something a bit lighter like a VX-3i 2.5-8x36 might be good. Would just like to have something that's bright lower-light. I know the scope will dictate whether medium or high rings, etc. (much prefer low or medium rings).

Thanks for any help.

R.
    A 30-06 with a low-mounted 2.5-8 variable is a versatile setup, but we can give better advice if we know what you plan to do with this rifle.

The pre-64 Model 70 action is pretty long and the mounting space on most current production scopes is so short that you can have very little latitude when it comes to eye relief. Extention rings are butt ugly and they can foul the ejection port, so they’re not the best answer.

Even with a variable, using 1” scope may let you use low rings instead of mediums. A few hours on Midway or similar sites will reveal a lot: ring heights vary widely, some low rings are not very low, few people make low 30mm rings, and even fewer people keep low 30mm rings in stock.

I’d identify your intended use first. Pick a scope based on that, then decide whether you need QD rings, then find rings that let you mount that scope where you want it, then find bases that work with those rings. A lot of very serious hunters who want QD rings on a light M-70 go with a good 1” variable, low Burris Zee rings, and Weaver bases. Warne and Talley variations also work but they're slightly heavier and not quite as low.

Speaking of weight, the pre-64 Model 70 is not the lightest place to start and the wrong mounts will push a Featherweight well over 8 pounds very quickly. (In fact, when you need to ADD weight to a rifle, bulking up the rings and bases is the cheapest, fastest, easiest, and most predictable way to go.) The Burris + Weaver mix listed above can withstand 30-06 recoil all day, plus it’s one of the lightest on the market, and it returns to zero well enough for a general-purpose hunting rifle.

But we have to know what you’re going to do with the rifle before we can really help you.

Okie John
    Last edited by okie john; 07-29-2019 at 08:15 AM.
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses. I would be using this for occasional hunting - hogs, maybe black bear at some point, maybe white tail. Would also like for it to be just a general purpose rifle (maybe similar to the concept of a "Scout Rifle Circa 2016" as posited by GJM). Not hiking through the mountains, so I wasn't looking to make this a true "featherweight", it's just what I already had. I've had the rifle for years, but have never put a scope on it.

I wasn't looking for QD mounts, as I just intended to leave the scope on the rifle all the time. But, now that I think about it, it may be beneficial to be able to switch the scope between rifles. Wouldn't that would require another trip to the range to make sure it's zeroed each time, though?

As for the one-piece base, I was under the impression that they can help stiffen the receiver. If it's not that big of a deal and the two-piece bases have more flexibility, than I'm fine with that.

Okie John - good point about the length of the receiver and scope tubes. I'm assuming the VX-3i 2.5-8x36 is long enough to adjust for proper eye relief?

I also have a question on stocks, but may need to just start another thread on that one. I would like to look into replacing the stock. There is nothing wrong with the current one, the whole gun is mint. I just would like to look at putting a synthetic stock on the gun.

Lots of good things here to think about. I appreciate the feedback.

Talley bases and QD rings, Leupold 2.5-8X36:

Name:  23734D3B-391D-4BD9-A80E-F8825C6BEE00.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  56.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB View Post
    Talley bases and QD rings, Leupold 2.5-8X36:

Name:  23734D3B-391D-4BD9-A80E-F8825C6BEE00.jpg
Views: 1157
Size:  56.5 KB
    SteveB,

That looks great. What kind of stock and sling do you have on this one?

Ive had over 25 custom Win 70 classic actions and almost all of them have Talley bases and rings. FWIW.
    Founder Of Keepers Concealment and Lead trainer. Affiliate of CCW Safe, Use discount code ( KC10off )Sign up here https://ccwsafe.com/ref/B65241653

User Tag List