Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Your Holster Screws and Holster Components Periodically...

Check Your Holster Screws and Holster Components Periodically...

Recently, I came home after work; my EDC was my Glock 19, carried in a Blade-Tech IWB probably 20+ years old. In taking off the holster, by unsnapping the grippers, I noticed that one gripper had become unscrewed; fortunately, the component that came off was wedged in my beltline (and I had some extra hardware in the event it was lost). One of the two belt straps was in effect rendered useless...

This reinforced two things to check on my kydex (and other) holsters; 1) that the screws are periodically checked and tightened, and 2) that any rubber straps haven't deteriorated over time, as rubber will do, and replace accordingly.

This isn't meant to be a diatribe against Blade-Tech per se, it's just that both items have occurred with my Blade Tech holsters. Kit checking protocols are a good thing...

Best, Jon

Blue loctite FTW. I loctite everything, on everything.

You're right though, pays to check and maintain holsters, not just the firearm.

I check my gear regularly, but haven't found a need to Loctite my holsters, clips or PTD loops (yet). If I do, I imagine the purple, (222 or 222 MS), will be more than adequate.

I will make sure they are all tightened periodically, however.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Knife pivot screws are prone to working loose as the knife is opened and closed. Blue Loctite helps here. I also use it on belt screws to secure the buckle to the belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Site Supporter
    Last week I lost a screw out of a new holster that I forgot to put VC-3 on. It seems like I regularly have friends and students losing hardware so I ordered a bunch of spare parts from holsterbuilder.com. I owe a shout out to Tony Mayer for getting me squared away on what to get.

While we're at it, I was annoyed at all the dust and crap that accumulates in plastic holsters. Static electricity, I guess. Plastic is all I use now, of course.

I started using one of these, from an auto parts store. "Detailing brush". Works very well, very quickly to mop the dust/debris out of them.

Name:  20181126_082141.jpg
Views: 250
Size:  50.5 KB

These work well too...and then there's always the battery operated Black & Decker if it fails...

There's nothing civil about this war.

Banned
    My magazine carrier has the same problem

I just use a piece of cloth to wipe the inside of my holsters.

Yeah that's what I was using but the mop-like brush does a better job, gets into the small areas, and takes two seconds.

User Tag List