Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Get your GP100 on at AIM

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I was afraid of that. I can barely carry a G17 and a G19 prints at times for me but I think right now is time for me to try out revolvers. Someone at the range let me dryfire their Wiley Clapp Ruger and it was amazing. How would a Model 64 compare to a Glock 19 carry wise? I have no frame of reference with revolvers.
    Fully loaded my 3 inch 64 and G19 weigh about the same. Six rounds vs. Sixteen... just doesn't happen that I actually carry the 64 honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do Ruger fixed sights on these guns tend to shoot to the point of aim?

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

What have others experienced?

I have found Ruger fixed sight revolvers not to be partcularly well-regulated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    Maybe if I hadn’t just spent all my extra $$ on the SD9 project.
    Yeah... I got my 300BO boondoggle or I wouldn't be waffling

Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do Ruger fixed sights on these guns tend to shoot to the point of aim?

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

What have others experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Bill, Ruger DA fixed-sight revolvers tend to be regulated out-of-the-box for 158 gr bullets.

Best, Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I’m with Rob and others on this; pick of the litter, in many ways. Where’s the guy wanting a practical revolver? This thread just ended that one.

Everything you need, nothing you don’t.

Anyone who buys this can PM me for instructions on a quick trigger part smoothing. Done.
    I agree, there's a siren song this basic, heavy-duty GP100 fixed-sight model sings. I had one similar; it had the DA/SA hammer, but otherwise was identical. Had a Wolff spring kit installed, had the exterior and cylinder bead-blasted and foolishly sold it-twice (traded it in on the latest hotness I "had to have," bought it back, and then ultimately sold it again). A self-induced loss I regret, despite having a custom blued 4" GP100 and a 4" stainless Security Six...

For an outdoor field gun, or concealed carry revolver, these fixed-sight GP100s, in either 3" or 4" barrel lengths are hard to beat.

The finish wear is easily cleaned up, and the grips and grip panels are easily and inexpensively replaced via either the Shop Ruger or Altamont sites.

Alternatively, brand new, and for hundreds of more dollars, there's always the similar Match Champion, with Novak fixed sights (with the rear easily and inexpensively switched out with Novak's similarly profiled adjustable rear if desired).

Best, Jon

Resurrecting this old thread now that I have my revolver in working condition with new grips.

I bought one of these from AIM, but when I got it, there was a significant 'hitch' in the trigger. I disassembled it as much as I dared, cleaned and lubed it, but could not identify any missing or obviously broken parts. The hitch remained, with a very heavy initial pull, then the cylinder would jump and the pull would get suddenly lighter.

I called Ruger, and they send me a shipping label so that I could send it in for service. They returned it a week later (at no charge) with the 'hitch' repaired. It has a nice serviceable double action trigger pull now. They also replaced the missing disassembly pin and I think that they ran a buffer over it to bring some of the shine back. I was very impressed with Ruger customer service.

The grips that came with the revolver were serviceable but very worn and ugly. I just received the Altamont grips today and put them on. I think it looks nice.

I've always wanted a GP100 since I fired my friends revolver back in 1988. This will be a range gun for me. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.

Name:  IMG-0708 (2).jpg
Views: 540
Size:  102.0 KB

Nice piece! Ruger has about as good of customer service as you can get. Unfortunately I've needed to use it multiple guns in a row but they'll take care of you, which is what keeps me coming back!

I kinda wish i picked one of these up

I guess I was fortunate because I got one as well, and it arrived mechanically perfect with one of the smoothest Ruger triggers I have ever owned. I shot it again last week with a variety of full power and mid range .357 loads and it is a joy to shoot. Handles and balances better for me than an L frame, with comparable recoil. Mine put 6 rounds of Federal 125's in a single hole at 12 yards, which is pretty good for me working DAO. Glad yours got squared away by the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    I guess I was fortunate because I got one as well, and it arrived mechanically perfect with one of the smoothest Ruger triggers I have ever owned. I shot it again last week with a variety of full power and mid range .357 loads and it is a joy to shoot. Handles and balances better for me than an L frame, with comparable recoil. Mine put 6 rounds of Federal 125's in a single hole at 12 yards, which is pretty good for me working DAO. Glad yours got squared away by the factory.
    Name:  D677FDA3-99A1-4F40-8F65-39835AA70256.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  76.7 KB
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

User Tag List