Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Get your GP100 on at AIM

Quote Originally Posted by Lon View Post
    ..no pics
    Okay, I dug it out to snap a pic, I also had the chrono set up the other day for some rifle work and pushed some rounds through the GP100

Federal .357 125gr JHP
    1516 AVG
    26 SD
    52 ES

Winchester .357 Silvertip 145gr JHP
    1270 AVG
    26 SD
    55 ES

Name:  gp100 aim surplus.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  39.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I kinda wish i picked one of these up
    I wish I had too...

Does anyone know where they came from? Any import marks?
    Last edited by awp_101; 06-03-2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Does anyone know where they came from? Any import marks?
    They were Century imports, rumor was that they were former Canadian LE guns, but I don't know any definitive information. Gun was a typical police trade and it had spent a lot of time in a holster, grips were rotted (rubber and wood) and cracked, had to be replaced. Mine fit the profile, carried a lot and shot very little.

Main reason I jumped on it is I very much prefer this barrel profile, no underlug, which is no longer made as far as I can tell and not as many in circulation, plus I don't like the adjustable rear sights on a gun I might carry, and those are also found less often in the 4" GP100's. I figured between me and the factory we would fix whatever else was wrong and fortunately mine had absolutely nothing wrong mechanically.
    Last edited by fatdog; 06-03-2020 at 08:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by fatdog View Post
    They were Century imports, rumor was that they were former Canadian LE guns
    Thanks, I wondered if they were Canadian or French. I had a Model 66 12-15 years ago that was factory DAO but still had the hammer spur intact. CAI import marked and the story was they were ex-Canadian LE. Mine came straight from CAI so I’m reasonably certain it wasn’t monkeyed with before it came to me.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    fd,

That 125g velocity from a 4" barrel is smokin'! Back in the early to mid 1980s, when my department issued the Rem 125 SJHP, I frequently chrono'd them through the department's 4" M-66s. They always hung right around 1425 fps and we had good success shooting bad guys with the Rem.

Dave

circa 2007-08 after our house fire I bought a full case of this particular Federal stuff and still easing my way through that particular lot, it is unquestionably hotter than anything else I have purchased. It clocks 1475 or more through my 4" N frame and 4" L frame. Excellent accuracy in all those compared to other stuff. The GP100 numbers going higher surprised me. I should put some through my 16" lever gun just to clock it. I know the bullets would not remain very intact to penetrate at those rifle velocities.

Site Supporter
    I have to wonder if the current offering from Federal has suffered the same attenuation other 357 and 38 loadings are plagued with. If I still had a 4" 357 I'd be tempted to buy a box and try it.

Dave

User Tag List