Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Get your GP100 on at AIM

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I was afraid of that. I can barely carry a G17 and a G19 prints at times for me but I think right now is time for me to try out revolvers. Someone at the range let me dryfire their Wiley Clapp Ruger and it was amazing. How would a Model 64 compare to a Glock 19 carry wise? I have no frame of reference with revolvers.
    Was the WC a GP100 or a SP101? They come in both. If it was the GP100, a Match Champion is going to be pretty same-same other than barrel length. The OEM grip on the MC is not going to be conducive to concealment of any sort, but as mentioned compact grips are available. You can get them through Ruger shop or Altamont.

The only revolver I ever AIWB carry is an LCR, so I'm not much help there.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I was afraid of that. I can barely carry a G17 and a G19 prints at times for me but I think right now is time for me to try out revolvers. Someone at the range let me dryfire their Wiley Clapp Ruger and it was amazing. How would a Model 64 compare to a Glock 19 carry wise? I have no frame of reference with revolvers.
    I find a k frame in an aiwb holster is significantly more comfortable than a Glock. Yes the cylinder is a little wider but the shape of the gun makes it easier to conceal. The barrel and frame are thinner. The grip is also a shape that conceals well.

These guns are (IMO) desirable because they are 4" fixed sight, not sure that was ever a standard item?

Skinny barrel is another thing that is not currently offered, DA is easy enough to convert but OOB here, and they even come with the smaller grips.

But I just bought a rifle and a reloading press...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Do Ruger fixed sights on these guns tend to shoot to the point of aim?

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

What have others experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

A G19/G17 has a squared-off, protruding rear part of the slide, so, if that is what makes a Glock “barely” carry-able, well, the Model 64 has just a hammer spur, or perhaps no spur, in the comparable space. There are slim grip/stock panels that might well make the revolver the slimmer-butt option. OTOH, the revolver’s cylinder has some amount of width, though the rest of the weapon is relatively slim.

We are all built differently, but personally, I would rather conceal a 4” S&W revolver inside my trousers, than any G19/G17-ish Glock, as a cylinder can be positioned comfortably enough in my inguinal crease, for AIWB carry, or in a natural hollow in my hip muscles, for behind-the-hip IWB. The rear of a G19/G17 slide is my concealment nemesis, and the double-column grip is also a challenge, especially in the case of the G17.

Others, however, may prefer the flatness of a Glock. It is an individual thing.

I use G19/G19x/G17 Glocks, as well as various S&W and Ruger revolvers, so I have no prejudice regarding weapon type, when I say I find it generally easier to conceal a medium-frame 4” revolver, and generally more comfortable to carry a revolver inside my trousers, especially in the inguinal crease area, where the blocky Glock slide is much more annoying than a rounded revolver barrel. I have even carried a full-lug 4” GP100, on occasion, AIWB. More realistically, these days, AIWB carry is much more likely to be accomplished with an SP101, especially if all-day carry is the objective. I can get all of my skinny fingers onto the grip of an SP101, so I do not feel that I am unduly handicapping myself, compared to a larger weapon.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-27-2019 at 04:00 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Was the WC a GP100 or a SP101? They come in both. If it was the GP100, a Match Champion is going to be pretty same-same other than barrel length. The OEM grip on the MC is not going to be conducive to concealment of any sort, but as mentioned compact grips are available. You can get them through Ruger shop or Altamont.

The only revolver I ever AIWB carry is an LCR, so I'm not much help there.
    It was quite heavy and had six chambers so I think it was the GP. I don’t know if I make much sense coming from hi cap semi autos but I’d really like a six shot more than a five. If that weren’t a big deal, I would get the LCRx3 and call it a day. Seriously, that guy’s Wiley Clapp was something else...if only I had a box of wadcutters in my range bag.
    Last edited by Olim9; 07-27-2019 at 03:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    These guns are (IMO) desirable because they are 4" fixed sight, not sure that was ever a standard item?

Skinny barrel is another thing that is not currently offered, DA is easy enough to convert but OOB here, and they even come with the smaller grips.

But I just bought a rifle and a reloading press...

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I bought a new GP100 built like this, except that mine has a spur on the hammer, in the very early 2000s, at an LGS. I installed the more-squared OEM grip, to better control Magnum recoil.

I never sought to have the hammer bobbed. IIRC, I already had my 4” Ruger Speed Six, with a factory spurless hammer, and had two SP101 fiveguns with spurless hammers, all three of which were/are more tote-able than a GP100, so did not see a need to grind this new one.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-27-2019 at 04:14 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Not me. I bought two last year and I'm trying like heck not to buy one of the linked ones as #3...

Details on those grips please...?

It's just one of those things you have to try to understand. Before I got into semi-autos, I Mexican carried revolvers for years. To do that, you slip the revolver into your belt between the buckle and your hipbone. The grip will be parallel to your belt and just forward of the watch pocket on a pair of Levis. The barrel falls naturally into the crease of your thigh. This is unlike the currently fashionable way to AIWB a semi-auto, where the barrel is basically vertical.

Radically different and far more comfortable with a revolver, even if it has a 5-6" barrel.

#SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by Rex G View Post
    I bought a new GP100 built like this in the very early 2000s, at an LGS.
    Yup, if a fella wanted the adjustable rear there are lots of alternative GP variations out there.

User Tag List