Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Get your GP100 on at AIM

Quote Originally Posted by Joe45 View Post
    Details on those grips please...?
    The top set is walrus tusk that came with the GP when I bought it but I don’t know the maker. The bottom set is Sambar stag from Zane at Lone Star Custom Grips.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    How do GP100s respond to action work? Specifically from the techniques in Iowegan's book?

Can you get K-frame tuneability without going to say, Gemini Custom or Lou Ciamillo?
    They respond to amateur tuning well, that’s for sure. I’ve Iowegan’d multiple GPs, and one SP, and they’ve all come out great. I wouldn’t be so comfortable doing the same level of work on a K-frame, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    I find a k frame in an aiwb holster is significantly more comfortable than a Glock. Yes the cylinder is a little wider but the shape of the gun makes it easier to conceal. The barrel and frame are thinner. The grip is also a shape that conceals well.
    This. I’m a fairly wiry guy, and a 4" K with concealment grips disappears in a JMCK AIWB. A Glock 19, 17, or 45 doesn’t. The grip is just a totally different animal on the two designs.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Site Supporter
    Real Talk.

These things are $399. They are an uncommon variation (skinny barrel, fixed sight, spur hammer)

A new GP-100 is what? $600 ish ? Unless this is the configuration you want, don't bother. You could buy a new GP-100 for what it would cost to machine these for new sights.

GP-100's are more L frame size than K frame sized. the skinny barrel helps and the GP-100 fixed sights are more visible than the fixed sights on S&W K and L frames.

Newer GP-100s normally have better trigger pulls than older GP-100s though there is much less voodoo involved in cleaning up an older GP-100 trigger.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BillSWPA View Post
    Do Ruger fixed sights on these guns tend to shoot to the point of aim?

I recall that a couple of rental Ruger single actions were quite off, but I believe may recall a rental SP101 that shot close to point of aim. Both were many years ago.

What have others experienced?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My 3 inch gp100 is pretty much dead on with 158 grain loads. I filed down the front sight just a little bit to get exactly where I wanted it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Whirlwind06; 07-28-2019 at 05:27 AM.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Real Talk.

These things are $399. They are an uncommon variation (skinny barrel, fixed sight, spur hammer)

A new GP-100 is what? $600 ish ? Unless this is the configuration you want, don't bother. You could buy a new GP-100 for what it would cost to machine these for new sights.

GP-100's are more L frame size than K frame sized. the skinny barrel helps and the GP-100 fixed sights are more visible than the fixed sights on S&W K and L frames.

Newer GP-100s normally have better trigger pulls than older GP-100s though there is much less voodoo involved in cleaning up an older GP-100 trigger.
    Yeah, when I saw the fixed sights, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing that I would be saved from myself.

It has been interesting to see the varied responses regarding the fixed sights, that is what is giving me the wants on this. I would also like to have maybe a 5" or 6" heavy barrel with the adjustable but a 4" with the streamlined rear is making me wonder what I should pull out of the safe and sell real quick (hey @Lon, I remember you asking about the M&P I chopped down...)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Whirlwind06 View Post
    My 3 inch gp100 is pretty much dead on with 158 grain loads. I filed down the front sight just a little bit to get exactly where I wanted it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I’ve had three fixed sight Rugers over the years, a GP100 .357, a speed six in .38 and a service six in .38 - all shot POA/POI with 158 grain loads.

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    (hey @Lon, I remember you asking about the M&P I chopped down...)
    Maybe if I hadn’t just spent all my extra $$ on the SD9 project.
    Formerly known as xpd54.
    The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not reflect the opinions or policies of my employer.
    www.gunsnobbery.wordpress.com

I have a 3" blued GP-100 that used to belong to Chuck Haggard, then Darryl Bolke. It shoots spot on with 158-grain loads. One of them, (I think it was Darryl) put an X/S Big Dot on the front.

It's got the small Lett grips, and carries like a dream in a JRC holster.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    It's just one of those things you have to try to understand. Before I got into semi-autos, I Mexican carried revolvers for years. To do that, you slip the revolver into your belt between the buckle and your hipbone. The grip will be parallel to your belt and just forward of the watch pocket on a pair of Levis. The barrel falls naturally into the crease of your thigh. This is unlike the currently fashionable way to AIWB a semi-auto, where the barrel is basically vertical.

Radically different and far more comfortable with a revolver, even if it has a 5-6" barrel.

#SometimesTheOldWaysAreBest

Okie John
    Yessir, good ol’ Mexican carry, with up to a 4” GP100. Notably, I usually did this when I had a weapon holstered at 0300, and wanted to enter a place that compelled one to check one’s bag* at the front counter, so I would discreetly un-bag the big sixgun, and tote it Mexican AIWB while inside the building. The most memorable occasion, however, was not a store, but a nightclub, where I had to meet a person on short notice. The doorman looked me up and down, trying to decide if I met the dress code, and then let me pass, while I had a 4” full-lug GP100 Mexican AIWB’ed, and probably an SP101 at 0300-0330, underneath a shirt. (Yes, legal; Texas peace officers can carry where alcohol is sold/consumed, though, of course, drinking while packing is not a best practice.)

*Yes, this used to be the norm. Bags, backpacks, and large purses often had to be checked at the front counter when shopping. I reckon that it was the increasing prevalence of laptops and other mobile gadgets that effectively ended such policies, as the store employees had to be responsible for so much valuable checked property, and/or stores started losing customers, who refused to check their valuable items.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-28-2019 at 03:44 PM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

User Tag List