Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should You Oil Bore/Chamber for EDC Pistol?

Should You Oil Bore/Chamber for EDC Pistol?

I have always seen the recommendation that you should run a light coat of oil inside the barrel to protect against rust. I believe this was more of a way of protecting against rust for long term storage though, as I have also seen it mentioned that you should remove it before firing. Which begs the question of what to do for your carry pistols? They are both subject to rust during storage (carried in holster) and subject to firing at a moments notice. Is it a good idea to risk having a fouled primer in the chamber by putting some oil/grease down the bore? Is it even needed with pistols such as H&K/Beretta/SIG which have excellent surface treatments of the barrel to protect against corrosion?

Site Supporter

No. In 50+ years of handgun shooting I have never oiled the bore or chambers of any gun I've owned.

Dave

Vending Machine Operator
    Absolutely not. Your chamber should always be clean but dry.
    State Government Attorney | Beretta, Glock, CZ & S&W Fan

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    One of the critical functions of the case is to grip the inside of the chamber through friction during the burning of the charge. If the chamber has oil in it, the case can't grip the chamber; thrust on the breech face and barrel-to-slide locking features is drastically increased.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I looked at the Instructions For Use for my Glock. It pretty clearly says no, that the barrel should be clean before firing. For storage, sure, but not for shooting.

Last edited by RJ; 07-26-2019 at 06:55 PM.

Only for storage.

When cleaning, I will use two or three drops of oil on a clean patch to push out any excess cleaner. Then use two oversized dry patches to rub the barrel and chamber clean. I put a very small amount of wax on the muzzle end of the gun, to prevent corrosion forming on the crown of the barrel. This is the only place I would be willing to put oil.

No

Not never.

Site Supporter
    Running an oiled patch through bore and then following it with a dry clean patch will remove excess oil but leave a very thin film for protection. I use a twisted paper towel or Kleenex tissue to remove oil from chamber. Some may not be aware that copper from bullet jackets when deposited on bore surface provides some protection against oxidation causing rust. One pass with a plastic and dry bristle brush usually removes crud from bore and chamber. Unlike many I don't see cleaning guns as a chore. If I shoot it, the weapon is wiped down after field stripping. No scrubbing, though. My guns would not pass a Marine Corps inspection. However, I may know more about what should not be done than the D.I. Guns that store are cleaned and oiled more thoroughly.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Yeah, as others have said, absolutely not for any reason.

Note: A contrary .22 LR auto can be improved with a drop of oil on the top round in the magazine.
    But that's not your EDC, so back to your regular programming.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List