Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Should You Oil Bore/Chamber for EDC Pistol?

In my 41+ years of shooting experience, I always clean the chamber and bore with a quality bore cleaner, jag patch dry, then run a patch saturated with oil/preservative (in my case, currently Weapon Shield) through several times, then jag patch dry with a clean patch. A very thin film of Weapon Shield is left, which serves as an anti-corrosive. This has worked well for me in various climates and continents.

Best, Jon

I think there should be oil in the barrel/chamber. I think the issue is understanding the volume of oil that should be in the barrel/chamber.

I'm pretty sure there is no handgun that comes with the instructions to soak your barrel in a degreaser to remove all oil from the barrel and then reassemble for carry. On the other hand, there most likely aren't any instructions telling you to soak your barrel in a tub of oil, and then reassemble it and shoot.

As JonInWAS said, nearly every pistol instruction manual tells you to oil the barrel and then run a dry patch through the barrel. There is no way that patch removes all the oil, it leaves a thin coat of oil in the barrel and that's what you should have.

If you're concerned that the amount of oil in your barrel/chamber is too much and can cause catastrophic consequences, here is Larry Vickers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9bOT_d60LM

Site Supporter
    I still do it old school - clean the gun with Hoppe's, ensure the breech face and chamber are bone dry, and run a mop from the muzzle to just short of the chamber to leave a really light coat of oil in the barrel. I could probably omit the last step but 36 years in the Army has ingrained that habit.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    Some may not be aware that copper from bullet jackets when deposited on bore surface provides some protection against oxidation causing rust.
    Actually, in a corrosive (humid) environment, copper and carbon in contact with iron are both pretty bad for the iron. (And steel is mostly iron.)

https://www.npl.co.uk/special-pages/...llic-guide.pdf
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I run a boresnake through my training handgun bores once or twice a year and call it good. My carry guns have clean and dry barrels and chambers. I've yet to encounter any rust or corrosion in any of my barrels, and I live in hot, humid Virginia.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Kyle Reese; 07-27-2019 at 08:38 AM.

I don't know if you should have barrel and chamber dry. I do know if you leave them dry in Florida you will regret it.

Site Supporter
    When I do clean the bore, which isn't very often, I use my cleaning solvent followed by a patch with a little oil on it, then dry patches until they come out clean and dry. Takes a couple minutes.

I run a very lightly oil patch down the bore, then run a clean patch down the bore. I take a clean patch and run it around the chamber several time to remove any oil there.

Site Supporter
    Galvanic corrosion requires an electrolyte. Though I accept the concepts of the science, I'm unable to predict the effect of copper in bores when moisture in the air is the electrolyte. Perhaps Rig Gun Grease or oil applied and then removed with a dry patch has left sufficient barrier film on my bore surfaces. The fact that my bores do not rust does not nullify corrosion science.

My question is how often should copper be removed from bores and how aggressive should our measures be to remove it? Long ago I ceased using brass or stainless steel brushes.

I run a oil patch followed by several dry patches on all my guns when cleaning including precision rifles.

User Tag List