Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is it time to rethink the "support finger on the front of the trigger guard" hold?

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLeo View Post
    Hi, I'm deleo, and I'm new to this forum. This subject greatly interests me as circumstances have forced me to consider gripping trigger guard with forefinger of weak hand. I've had surgery on my right arm (thank goodness I'm lefty) and the net result is my right hand and arm are considerably weaker then my left. I have been experimenting with both a traditional grip and a modified grip with forefinger of weak hand on trigger guard. So far the results favor me using the modified grip. My groupings are tighter, not to imply that my groups are are unusually tight, and when using the traditional grip I tend to shoot low and to the right. I am continuing to use both until I'm sure that bad technique is not interfering with the conventional grip.
    What I ended up with is Massad Ayoob's "wedge grip". It effectively increases the pressure generated by your off hand via leverage. I've got all the strength, but not all of the feeling, back in my left hand and still use it. I found it slower to build the grip until I had a lot of reps in, as compared to a more standard thumbs forward, but eventually got the hang of it and my shooting slowly improved.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

I think there is a conflict between recoil control and trigger control. Holding the pistol harder helps with recoil control but hurts my trigger control. Lately, I have been backing off my grip pressure and it has helped my speed and accuracy.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I think there is a conflict between recoil control and trigger control. Holding the pistol harder helps with recoil control but hurts my trigger control. Lately, I have been backing off my grip pressure and it has helped my speed and accuracy.
    I find with the Glock the tighter grip helps me. I could hold the Sig TDA guns looser without pushing shots. Because of that I find the Glock more tiring to shoot. Doesn't matter except for range days, of course. I don't know how much of the difference is simply you are more skilled then I am and how much is my "custom" crooked fingers and reduced sensation, thus reduced feedback, in my offhand.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I find with the Glock the tighter grip helps me. I could hold the Sig TDA guns looser without pushing shots. Because of that I find the Glock more tiring to shoot. Doesn't matter except for range days, of course. I don't know how much of the difference is simply you are more skilled then I am and how much is my "custom" crooked fingers and reduced sensation, thus reduced feedback, in my offhand.
    Good point. All things equal, I think the lighter the pistol and the longer and heavier the trigger, the harder you have to grip it.

My wife, long time Glock shooter, battled elbow pain for a year after upping her round count when she started competing in USPSA. Almost immediately, after switching to a 320 X5/Legion, her elbow pain got better, to where she has no elbow pain two months after her transition.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Good point. All things equal, I think the lighter the pistol and the longer and heavier the trigger, the harder you have to grip it.
    Hmm... I grip the shit out of my 1911s when I shoot, and when I relax my grip I see my groups open up. I don't grip my G34 quite as hard (still pretty hard though), but that could be a 45 vs 9mm thing.

User Tag List