Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jane's Fighting Ships - look at the price

When I worked for an FFRDC (technical term for think tank), we had a great library, and they always had a current Jane's for many major systems. It was a great resource, especially in the pre- and early internet days. About the time I left there in 2008, they were transitioning to online access. I think that was before Wikipedia, and I remember printing out some pages to make myself a desk references for the systems I was interested in. A couple of years later when I was entering a new field, I wanted to purchase a Jane's, but I was astounded by the price for a hardcopy book. The lab I worked at didn't have a library, so that was my only option.

Similarly (and not to derail the thread), the price of the factory service manuals has gotten crazy expensive. I used to buy them for my Toyotas, and was willing to spend $100 or $200, but when I found out the factory manual for my new truck would cost something like $1000, I ended that practice.

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    What have you been doing to get yourself into @Dagga Boy's will that the rest of us don't know about?
    Nothin’ you need to worry your pretty lil’ head about.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    Definitely had several years of Jane’s at home in the mid-80s for...uh...work related purposes.

I was also a member of the USNI for a time. A flyer arrived featuring a new novel by this guy named Clancy. Thinking it looked interesting, I ordered an early copy, one of the first available.

It was called [i]The Hunt for Red October[/b].
    I have one of those. Hardback with a fairly simple white cover.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    AddALL

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/sub...lls&store=ZVAB

Great for looking for hard to find things. Out of print, obscure print, grey literature. Sure you're not going to get the latest version cheap. But you can collect them all. I'm seeing copies of the '60s and 70s books for a buck or two each...

PS: I spend way too much money using AddALL. I have been slowly, but surely, collecting every book on revolvers I can find. With the ultimately life goal of having the most complete library on revolver history, shooting techniques, and mechanics. And of course, I use it all the time to find obscure/out-of-print stuff for my actual work.
    What are your most effective search terms?

No need to worry about competition with your library.

Fingers crossed behind back.

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What are your most effective search terms?

No need to worry about competition with your library.

Fingers crossed behind back.
    Usually, I am looking for something specific. So a title or author search. But if generally looking a “strict” search for “revolver”.

That said, if you want to narrow your shopping list - use WorldCat - https://www.worldcat.org/ - to search your keyword, then sort by book (as opposed to articles). Finally, record the ISBN for books you want (if available). Searching for ISBNs will make it faster and allow you to find the best price.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Nothin’ you need to worry your pretty lil’ head about.
    Usually when people get confused between shiny and pretty, it involves metallic gold paint on 2003 Mustangs.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-26-2019 at 05:12 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List