Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommendation for run and mountain bike EDC, Ft Collins....

Recommendation for run and mountain bike EDC, Ft Collins....

One of my kids is moving to Ft Collins CO. He’s a USPSA M class shooter with zero revolver experience.

He wants something light for running and riding in the foothills. Mountain lion attacks are a known and real issue. He has no delusions of being as bad ass as the guy who killed one bare handed this year.

What would you buy your kid?

What would you load it with?

Does he want a revolver? If he's a Master shooter I'd think he'd know what he wants.

Me? 2.75" m66. To heavy? Colt night cobra would be my choice.

I just hiked 8 miles with my 66 today and run 3-5 miles/3 times per week with it.
    Name:  Resized_20190724_160712.jpg
Views: 542
Size:  40.3 KB

Site Supporter
    Hill People Gear Kit Bag with a Glock and a 3 inch fixed blade knife. That is how I roll.

Open carry he’d run a GP101 or a 10mm auto of some sort on a chest rig. But that’s not an option.

There’s a NPE nature to this given his peers and frankly an age issue that I’ll pay legal fees for before he can’t defend himself. He has court level proven experience.
    Last edited by jeffhughes; 07-25-2019 at 11:31 PM.

Site Supporter
    He doesn’t need a 10mm or .357 to defend against mt lions. Maybe against cattle or angry elk mommas.

What he’s worried about, I would run with a light single stack 9mm like a G43 or Walther PPS or something similar. Biggest gun I’d use would be a G26. Probably. Ive used one a lot for similar reasons and like it. HPG chest rig, or smartcarry in summer.

The good folks at Hill People Gear sell a low-profile-colored red-and-black version of the Kit Bag, which is a low-profile chest pack. It is large enough to hold any normal weapon, up to and including duty-weapon-plus. IIRC, it was in stock a few days ago. The modest area of accessory webbing is oriented in a diagonal pattern, perfect for small radios and such. I have used my grey-green Kit Bag to carry duty-sized Glocks, while on foot, though long after my running days were over.

There is the trusty Safepacker, from the good folks at The Wilderness dot com. (Don’t forget the “The” part, in front of Wilderness.) I have ridden bicycles many miles, with a Safepacker. Sizes are up to and including duty weapon-sized, including large-gripped revolvers.

Mountain Lions are kill-able with anti-people ammo. I do not need to change weapons when going from urban to rural. We have Mountain Lions here in Texas, though heavy hunting pressure has kept them shy, so one almost never hears/reads about attacks, here.

Keep in mind, when reading about lion hunting, that executing a treed Mountain Lion, which is being kept treed by a pack of dogs, is not the same thing as defending against an attacking Mountain Lion.

I have yet to see a “GP101,” but love my GP100 and SP101 revolving pistols. Pick either, pick both, be happy.

Keep in mind that knowing how to shoot an autoloading pistol well does not translate to shooting a revolving pistol well. I would not buy my son a revolver, just because he knows how to shoot Glock and similar pistols. He would need to keep carrying his Glocks, until he masters the revolvers, which will not happen with just a short familiarization. I am glad to be a revolver enabler, but, have to wonder why a revolver has been selected for this scenario, unless contact shots are anticipated, which is a valid reason.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-26-2019 at 02:46 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

Sub-Compact version of whatever he is regularly shoots in USPSA.

And since it's mountain lions and people he is concerned with - 147-grain HST.

Even a big mountain lion isn't as big as the fat drunk guy looking for a fight outside the bar on Saturday night.

If he's real concerned about heavy game, like Elk or a Bear - load it with Lehigh.

I don't think there is anything outside of a Sasquatch in the lower 48 that probably cannot be handled with 10-15 rounds of Lehigh +P unless you miss with all of those rounds. And that's why we run 9mm, right? Easier to shoot, less likely to miss.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-26-2019 at 12:57 PM.

He’s got a P10c, his concern is contact shots...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhughes View Post
    He’s got a P10c, his concern is contact shots...
    Glock 19 with a Surefire X300, might need the bigger Hill People Gear Kit Bag.

I like the G19/X300 recommendation a lot. If it's got to be a revolver, an LCR is going to be a lot lighter than a steel frame. The Pachmayr Diamond Pro grip allows a higher thumbs grip and is pretty hand filling. They're vastly superior to what comes on it when it comes to actually shooting it. I have them on an LCR, an SP101 and a GP100. The 3"SP101 is my fav, but the LCR with this grip is good enough when weight counts. Along with a fixed blade, it's what I carry around outside the house in case my neighbor's Pit Bull goes full auto. Downside is 5 rounds so he might want two.

User Tag List