Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detail Stripping the M&P slide

Detail Stripping the M&P slide

I used to detail strip my Glocks every 2k rounds to clean out the extractor/extractor channel etc. As of last year i've switched to the M&P, and though i'm extremely happy with the platform, i do miss the ease with which the Glock came completely apart. Is detail stripping the slide to clean the extractor on the M&P as big of a PIA as it appears to be, or am i just a big pussy?

It is not hard at all, with the right tools. I will say that after shooting a bunch of Brown Bear ammo (dirty) and cleaning it with brake spray afterwards then taking it apart it looked no different than a detail strip. Work smarter, not harder. Replace brake cleaner with your desired spray of choice and I am sure it will be fine. I know other guys who have never cleaned this and just added lube and have no issues.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    It is not hard at all, with the right tools. I will say that after shooting a bunch of Brown Bear ammo (dirty) and cleaning it with brake spray afterwards then taking it apart it looked no different than a detail strip. Work smarter, not harder. Replace brake cleaner with your desired spray of choice and I am sure it will be fine. I know other guys who have never cleaned this and just added lube and have no issues.
    What is this magical brake spray that you speak of? I've been using mobile one for lube for years, but have somehow missed the memmo on brake spray

Brake parts cleaner. It's the same thing as Gun Scrubber, but costs $7 less per can.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...eaner/_/N-25h0

It will strip all oils and crud out of the gun, in my experiences. Can clean a whole AR in a minute or two, a pistol in 30 seconds. Carb and choke cleaner is better on plastics and rubber.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I use chlorine-free brake cleaner that I pick up from Autozone. If you have fiber optic sights (especially TruGlo TFO's), DO NOT let the cleaner contact the sights. It'll melt them.

And this right here is why i love this forum. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    Is detail stripping the slide to clean the extractor on the M&P as big of a PIA as it appears to be
    Getting the extractor pin out the first time is fun. Replace it with the correctly sized roll pin and never worry about it again. (I have extras if you want one or two).

Quote Originally Posted by bdcheung View Post
    I use chlorine-free brake cleaner that I pick up from Autozone. If you have fiber optic sights (especially TruGlo TFO's), DO NOT let the cleaner contact the sigihts. It'll melt them.

I
    the striker assembly as well as the strikers channel have plastic inserts-should I stay away from just spraying down the slide for those reasons?

Quote Originally Posted by iakdrago View Post
    I
    the striker assembly as well as the strikers channel have plastic inserts-should I stay away from just spraying down the slide for those reasons?
    I don't avoid those areas.

The FO fibers are made out of some sort of polystyrene, which the brake cleaner melts (spray it on a cheap styrofoam cup and watch the chemistry magic).

I think the plastics within the gun itself are hard/stable enough not to be affected.

I've been spraying the breech face and striker just fine.

User Tag List