Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What a Country

I found Alaska to be amazingly beautiful, but too cold for my little tropical bod.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

I recall many people commenting about the liquor and sporting goods stores in Flagstaff years ago. I didnt drink or buy booze, but I didnt see what the problem was.

Yes, theres much of the country that doesnt get the appreciation it deserves. Some of that is the Interstates. Charles Kuralt once said that the Interstates allowed one to drive completely across the country and not see a thing. Im not sure id go quite that far, but the older two lanes are worth driving to see things and appreciate the small towns. It came up on a motorcycle forum about old Route 66. Id been on some parts of it in the Flag area, but seeing all the pictures and stories, it made me want to drive it, touristy kitsch and all.

Site Supporter
    I agree. I hate traveling the interstates, and avoid them whenever I have the spare time for state highways. Often, that route adds an hour or two to my trip, but is much more enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    I agree. I hate traveling the interstates, and avoid them whenever I have the spare time for state highways. Often, that route adds an hour or two to my trip, but is much more enjoyable.
    If you spend a dollar at a locally owned business on one of those routes, more of it will stay right there too.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

I briefly looked at buying this place a couple of years ago: https://www.landandfarm.com/property...ounty-4386446/

Rural gas station, convenience store, restaurant, bar, post office, and living quarters. The convenience store had a section of hunting & fishing supplies (including a handful of guns) and, aside from beer/wine/liquor, a couple rows over there was a gardening, irrigation, & plumbing section with all those last minute supplies for your budding marijuana grow.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I recall many people commenting about the liquor and sporting goods stores in Flagstaff years ago. I didnt drink or buy booze, but I didnt see what the problem was.

Yes, theres much of the country that doesnt get the appreciation it deserves. Some of that is the Interstates. Charles Kuralt once said that the Interstates allowed one to drive completely across the country and not see a thing. Im not sure id go quite that far, but the older two lanes are worth driving to see things and appreciate the small towns. It came up on a motorcycle forum about old Route 66. Id been on some parts of it in the Flag area, but seeing all the pictures and stories, it made me want to drive it, touristy kitsch and all.
    Probably been 30 years since I read this.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways.../dp/B006BAW16O

I've had a serious case of wanderlust since I was too young to drive.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I must be the only one who read the thread in Yakov Smirnoff's voice.

I have been to Wisconsin but don't recall the A/T/F/+ type of store, hopefully I will find one in the future.

Visiting the U.S. from Canada I am always happy to see that in most places things are not nearly as terrible as it might seem from a broad range of sources. I usually manage to avoid urban ghettos in favor of either resorts or shooting ranges, which are usually in the country or at least the suburbs.

As I drive around I see mostly civilized people with nice houses, vehicles, restaurants, stores, farms, recreational facilities, power, water, food, entertainment...

I realize not everyone has a safe and comfortable situation, some are struggling to survive and support their families, and my heart goes out to them.

But it really is a good country full of (mostly) good people despite the inordinate amount of attention that the bad/stupid/crazy people get.

Quote Originally Posted by Snapshot View Post
    I have been to Wisconsin but don't recall the A/T/F/+ type of store, hopefully I will find one in the future.

Visiting the U.S. from Canada I am always happy to see that in most places things are not nearly as terrible as it might seem from a broad range of sources. I usually manage to avoid urban ghettos in favor of either resorts or shooting ranges, which are usually in the country or at least the suburbs.

As I drive around I see mostly civilized people with nice houses, vehicles, restaurants, stores, farms, recreational facilities, power, water, food, entertainment...

I realize not everyone has a safe and comfortable situation, some are struggling to survive and support their families, and my heart goes out to them.

But it really is a good country full of (mostly) good people despite the inordinate amount of attention that the bad/stupid/crazy people get.
    We even have your Cup! (Okay, that wasn't nice. I'd buy you a Canadian brew to make up for it but for some reason many of your countrymen seem to like our mass produced swill, which I can't be bothered to drink. So when you get to my neck o' the woods let me know and I'll buy you a good local brew.)
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    It's probably not up to your standards, Bill. "Gibson's Finest", 12 year old Canadian whisky. I'm a redneck, after all.
    As I always say - If you like it, it's good whiskey.

I do enjoy a glass of Canadian whiskey over ice on the back patio when it cools off.

User Tag List