Thread: Safariland Duty Belt Setup Videos

Safariland Duty Belt Setup Videos

• It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

I'm running plates and a carrier now just to get stuff off of my belt.

Site Supporter
    Good video. I will be going back to a double cuff case to move my cuffs up front, and I will put my pepper spray behind my gun. I simply do not have enough room to carry two cuffs up front with out moving my pepper spray and using a double cuff case.

The only thing I ever put on my back was a latex glove carrier which was giving me sciatica issues. I removed that and now the majority of my back is devoid of gear.

Ill have to get a picture but if you can visual this, this is how ive got my belt setup.

I run an Ares LE duty belt with a Blauer inner belt. I also wear blauer suspenders with Bladetech nylon belt keepers. The safariland ones are superior in construction but the thickness pressed into my skin resulting in pressure points that caused pain.

Clockwise from the belt buck, ie 12:00.

FirstLight Light on their proprietary teklok
    Handcuff pouch (safariland single)
    Peacekeeper baton angled towards my belly button. I can run this way as it does not impede my thigh movement
    G22 on a medium drop UBL
    TQ carrier (eleven 10 carrier on a Bladetek Teklok)
    Nothing on my back until we get around to the other side.

Starting at about 7'oclock ive got a second pair of cuffs in an HSGI taco with a flap. Inside of the cuffs are pair of nitrile gloves
    Safariland radio pouch
    X22 Taser in the safariland holster
    Double ESSTac KIWI G22 mag pouch

Feedback based upon experience:

I knock on doors with my baton.
    The taser is where i rest my left forearm when interviewing people. This thing is useless to me. Ive seen it applied successfully but ive also seen it fail...alot. That's a subject for another discussion.
    I cannot reach my TQ with my left hand without a SERIOUS fight.
    2X pairs of cuffs are priceless. Id carry three if I could figure out how without adding more weight to the front of my belt
    With a size 36 inch waist, I dont have as much room as I'd like but i refuse to get fatter.
    My belt buckle is offset to about 11 O'clock with my navel being 12.
    I have yet to be inhibited by my gear in a fight which im pleased with.
    I lost my light ONCE, on the range, during training. For practical purposes, the light stays where it is and is solidly locked in. This pleases me.
    I dont carry pepper spray. I LOATHE that shit...

The only area in which im not happy is my magazine pouches. The ESStac KIWI Is ok but the mags are too close together and honestly, the factory retention sucks. I have yet to lose a mag in a fight and the mags are released easily enough I just dont feel as though they're retained as well as id like them to be. I could modify the kydex inserts but im lazy so im not going to. In a perfect world id want room for two single magazines with one of them being close to 12 o'clock angled towards my left side (right handed shooter).

Id also want to run a drop leg holster as the UBL, on the fourth day of my rotation digs into my hip slightly. This is only due to the horrific ergonomic (or lack thereof) setup that we have in our cars for our laptops. I have to contort my body at the waist, digging the firearm into my hip in order to use my laptop to write my reports.

Shit, in a perfect world id want half of this garbage off of my hips and on a damned vest but my Agency is stuck in 1912 and we cant look "scary".

Ive debated changing my setup around as I find the taser and baton to be useless. By policy, we have to carry two less than lethal options. The baton is the heaviest piece on my belt but an impact weapon to me, seems to have more use than a taser. Moving the taser off of my belt would free up some room for me to have more magazine options as far as the placement and the pouch type. I just find it hard to give up a tool ive carried since day one.

I just have my gun,baton,OC, Taser and glove pouch on my belt. I have my cuffs, mags,radio,TQ, and flashlight on my vest.

I’m lucky in that my Chief lets us have stuff on our vests. When I have to switch back occasionally to having everything back on the belt, I realize how lucky my back is for that.

I do need to come up with a solution to make my Safariland holsters actual straight drop, than the forward can’t they have, which ironically makes their suggestion to run it forward of the hip even less ergonomic for my wrist. It looks like the QLS might have enough adjustment to make it better if not perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post

I do need to come up with a solution to make my Safariland holsters actual straight drop, than the forward can’t they have, which ironically makes their suggestion to run it forward of the hip even less ergonomic for my wrist. It looks like the QLS might have enough adjustment to make it better if not perfect.
    Negative brother. The QLS offers essentially no adjustment. For me, I need way more than what the QLS offers. I find the entire Safariland setup to be absolutely horrid when it comes to ergonomics when you're fully kitted out. Great product, great design EXCEPT for how it sits on the belt.

From what ive read, the only solution is to use a G Code belt setup. Apparently, that cants the gun in a very neutral manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Vista461 View Post
    I just have my gun,baton,OC, Taser and glove pouch on my belt. I have my cuffs, mags,radio,TQ, and flashlight on my vest.

I’m lucky in that my Chief lets us have stuff on our vests. When I have to switch back occasionally to having everything back on the belt, I realize how lucky my back is for that.

I was able to get a 6360 for a G19/WML to ride vertically, using a QLS on a Safariland belt. There was enough adjustability, at least with these particular pieces.

I assembled the components to normally run a 2-mag carrier, on the support side, but kept the holster and G19 set-up for a quick swap to a two-pistol rig.
    Last edited by Rex G; 07-28-2019 at 07:55 AM.
    Retar’d LE. Kinesthetic dufus.

Don’t tread on volcanos!

For those not getting the fit they want with the QLS and UBL... you might try the RTI from G-code. I’ve been messing around with one because the Safariland won’t allow zero degrees of cant. With the RTI you can even get slightly negative.

So far I like the draw better. It’s easier to defend because it’s closer to center. And for injured shooter work it’s easier to reach with my left hand.

I think they’ve tweaked the QLS parts. I was able to get pretty much vertical with early QLS parts. When they added the lock they seem to have removed some range of motion. FWIW, the cant is an intentional design feature by Bill Rogers. The idea is to make an in-holster ND hit right behind the shooters leg instead of into it.
    Last edited by John Hearne; 07-28-2019 at 10:20 AM.
    • It's not the odds, it's the stakes.
    • If you aren't dry practicing every week, you're not serious.....
    • "Tache-Psyche Effect - a polite way of saying 'You suck.' " - GG

Keep everything off your back.

I know it's hard these days with all the junk we have to carry, but I've seen two careers come to an abrupt end after the officers suffered serious injury falling onto their back with a suspect on top of them and landing on a hard item on their belt.

My personal belt setup is as follows starting clockwise at 12:

- Safariland double cuff case at 1 o'clock
    - Keeper
    - Gun in holster on a Safariland UBL with the neoprene pad just forward of 3 o'clock
    - Keeper
    - Safariland silent key holder just behind the keeper

Back completely clear

- Motorola swivel radio pouch at about 8 o'clock
    - MkIII sized pepperspray between 8 and 9 o'clock
    - Baton ring just ever so forward of 9 o'clock
    - Keeper
    - X26P Taser in a Blackhawk Serpa setup for left hand draw (the one good Serpa holster)
    - Surefire Z2 (with LED head) just after 10 o'clock
    - Keeper
    - Mag pouch around 11 o'clock

I've used this setup for years. I carry a Streemlight Stinger in my back right pocket when standing (it lives in the driver's door map pocket when driving or pinned behind my left knee) and a 29" cocobolo straight stick (or PR-24 if I'm feeling nostalgic) when out of the car.

I ditched the ASP after I bent it a long time ago and the Peacekeeper-style collapsible are too heavy for what they are. I've never had any issue with the carrying a "real" stick.

Latex gloves live in my left front pocket. Tourniquet lives in the cargo pocket of my pants on the left side although I think I'm doing to mount it to the front of my holster at some point in the near future.
    Last edited by KevH; 07-28-2019 at 12:50 PM.

User Tag List