Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So, how many guns are "enough"?

So, how many guns are "enough"?

What do people here think about backup guns? Do you carry one or more backup guns always, sometimes, or never?

I am inspired to start this thread for a couple reasons:

It’s a continuation of a lot of the same self-and-threat-evaluation involved in the recent ‘how many rounds are enough’ and ‘does anyone use a revolver as primary’ threads.

It’s germane to the recent temporary deadlining of the P-T.com test gun due to a unfixable-in-the-moment broken part.

Hopefully I didn't miss some really obvious thread where this was discussed...

I'll play.

I live in a domestic suburbia surrounded by millions of acres of cornfields. Seriously. From my Apt building - .6 miles eats on ramp to I-35, .62 miles east cornfields as far as the eye can see. I live on the northern end of the second largest metro in my home state, home to ~ 350k. What I'm getting at here is I'm a lot more likely to see a "browning" sticker and a .270 bolt in the back window than "hoodlums" when I drive through undesirable areas. Doesn't mean we don't have "ghettos", just trying to put things into perspective, I live in white-bread as hell Iowa, and I don't even live in the most white-bread area!

I carry a g19, sometimes with an extra mag in my pocket sometimes not. I have never felt uneasy due to my weapon choice. I don't see a point to carrying a BUG at this point in time, doesn't mean I'm not still working on my old lady to actually use her carry permit, so I can buy her a j-frame, a baby glock or a 19 of her own. I like the 1 is none 2 is one mantra, but to be honest I have never and likely will never carry a second handgun, unless I can find a smoking deal on a 642/442. When I'm out and about, i'm normally out and about with my friends who also carry, there's my 2is1 3is1 etc.

I know that situational awareness is something that has saved my life at least a couple of times, but all but one of those times I was wearing body armor full time and behind a crew-served machine gun. A clear, calm, collected and cognizant head on my shoulders is my first line of defense.

I'd never rag on someone who carries two handguns, more power to you! For me, I don't see the need.
    OEF Vet
    Reading and Learning

Really good question. The fact that I carry a reload rather than a backup gun makes me mad. I think that, other than a on-general-principles post-fight wolves-travel-in-packs kind of thing, actually having to reload is pretty unlikely (which doesn't mean I don't carry a reload, because they're just not that hard to carry). It's also pretty unlikely that my primary will become disabled. However, a spare gun covers the function of both the reload and the primary; there's not going to be much point in reloading my pistol if it just took a bullet going the wrong way.

The rhetorical question becomes "are two j-frames superior to one .38 Super 1911 without a reload (I did that math for you)?" We could avoid rhetoric.

Spare guns are a good thing.

I've been seriously considering carrying something small in my WH side back pocket. While I appreciate the gun going down aspect of a BUG - mainly it would give me a pistol that I can access with my left hand, and it's also in the same place as a wallet - which "might" be a good thing in a situation where I'm expected to complicitly reach for my wallet.

Unfortunatley, I do not own a pocket pistol -and since my accountant recently informed me that apparently I made too much money last year and as a reward I get to write Uncle Sam a nice check, I probably won't be getting one anytime soon.

But I will be paying attention to this thread, mainly because it doesn't seem like adding a small BUG would really make my life more difficult - so why not?

On rare occassions I've carried two. One IWB and the other AIWB, each in FIST 1K's; using a canted one IWB and the straight drop AIWB. Or even more comfortably, OWB Atomic Dog; G19 on the hip and G26 AIWB. With a reload for either on the left side. It's amazing how comfortable and livable that is. But I just don't do it very often although as I've posted and Todd recently lived - any gun is the next trigger pull away from seizing up. But I almost never do except on a few occassions just to test the concept. The exception being on those few occassions where I actually thought something very bad was possibly going to happen. Then two pistols feels like jack sh$# and you just can't seem to carry enough kit.
    Last edited by JHC; 04-05-2012 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I too have questioned why I should prefer a spare mag over a spare gun. Some thoughts:

* Unless both guns are the same or very similar, it is probably less work to train a reload than using a second gun
    * Concealment of spare mags is a lot easier
    * Where you put a BUG is probably a lot less easy to draw from than a spare mag pouch
    * Cost

That said, I can very, very easily see what a G17 or 19 user would prefer to have a G26 instead of a spare mag, or a P30 owner might also want a P2KSK, instead of another mag, etc.

In addition, if you train with and are used to that BUG, it gives you an option for when carrying a larger gun is less possible.

J.Ja
    Owner/President of Titanium Crowbar, LLC

If running two guns INSTEAD of a reload, your only option is drop the gun and draw the 2nd (or reholster and draw the 2nd which doesn't sound too viable). I think a trained reload is gonna be faster all the way around. But as noted, a 2nd gun can do things a spare mag can't.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

For LE duty a BUG should be mandatory.

For most civilian CCW it is less critical, but a BUG does give you the option of quickly arming another individual (spouse, friend, co-worker, etc...) in a lethal force situation like an active shooter incident.

In addition to my G17, I carry an LCP in my weak side pocket as a backup. It also works as a "primary" in non-permissive environments- "primary" in this case meaning "better than a sharp stick in the eye".

ETA: I also carry a spare mag, but if i had to choose between a spare mag and a BUG, I'd take the mag.
    All the world's a lathe.

My thoughts

I carry a gun for the same reason I don't stand next to trees or play golf during lightning storms; while I am still statistically highly unlikely to get struck, I see no reason to temp fate and not take precautions. Same thing with being the victim of violent crime. Unlikely to happen, but I believe in being prepared for it in the attempt it does happen.

I live in a section of STL county that is quite safe. Still, I carry a G19 as a primary, 2 spare magazines, as well as a an LCR BUG, with a reload for that as well. I also have 2 additional reloads in my car for each. Why? Because I can safely, comfortably, and effectively carry all of it. I figure, since I'm already preparing for the unlikely event of a life or death encounter, why not prepare as much as possible?
    " One of the tribesmen in Thrace now delights in the shield I discarded /Unwillingly near a bush, for it was perfectly good /But at least I got myself safely out. Why should I care for that shield? / Let it go. Some other time I'll find another no worse. - Archilochus
    "To take the uninstructed to war is to throw them away" - Confucious

User Tag List