Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When the Optic dies - aperture?

Site Supporter

When the Optic dies - aperture?

At the last match, a competitor was shooting an AR pistol with a red dot optic. Well, it died. He did not have irons also. So he gave up. I asked him, why not just try to shoot through with the little ol' window of the sight as an experiment. Just see how it works. He didn't want to as then he couldn't win or even place highly.

I would think that in the 'real' world, if that happened, you don't quit. Why not try it? Anybody ever try it just to see if you could get reasonable hits?

Yes, you should have backup sights. Wasn't my gun. I do on mine. Just a thought.

Site Supporter
    I would have tried it as long as I was safe while doing so.

Chris

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar

When the Optic dies - aperture?

I don’t see why you wouldn’t keep on trucking at that point, unless it’s a gamer thing where no score is better than a bad score.

Which optic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Darth_Uno; 07-23-2019 at 12:28 PM.

I've shot 30mm Aimpoints after the battery died on multiple occasions, and you'd be surprised how accurate you can be with just the tube.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    If he's there to have fun and isn't having fun any longer, might as well pack up. Or is it something along the lines of no score is better than a low score?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    I've shot 30mm Aimpoints after the battery died on multiple occasions, and you'd be surprised how accurate you can be with just the tube.
    Although my experience was not with an Aimpoint, The results were very similar.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Same. A carbine class I took once had us turn them off and “shoot the tube”. I shot a Drill for time that way with >90% A-zone hits. For reference, I was shooting a T-1 Micro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    At the last match, a competitor was shooting an AR pistol with a red dot optic. Well, it died. He did not have irons also. So he gave up. I asked him, why not just try to shoot through with the little ol' window of the sight as an experiment. Just see how it works. He didn't want to as then he couldn't win or even place highly.
    He couldn't do any worse by shooting it without sight than not shooting. At my last match a Holosun sight sheared off of a mount of an Open gun. The shooter was about to stop but we all yelled out "keep going". He did, and got pretty decent hits without any sights or apertures at all.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Pistol related - but I accidentally turned my dot off in a practice session, right before a run on multiple positions/targets, engaging the first target, I yelled out to my buddy - "I got no dot!" I shot the run anyway, had almost all A hits, even on partial targets with no shoots. I was pretty surprised but figured its good practice for if it happens when it counts.
    The stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.

Humbly improving with CZ's.

Several, including myself by default, have long taught using the whole optic as the rear sight and the front sight assembly as a front sight post.

I can see - pun intended - using the optic alone and taking into consideration shape, shadow within the tube. It'll be slower, sure, but I can see it working.

User Tag List