Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jane's Fighting Ships - look at the price

Site Supporter

Jane's Fighting Ships - look at the price

I've had an interested in naval matters for many years. I've said before I wrote a term paper on the naval limitation treaties after WWI for the prof teaching an advanced military history elective who was a major general and head of the Hungarian military academy. He fled after the failed 1956 revolution. He gave me and A and said it was a fine essay. I was proud of that. Anyway, as a young student, I bought a copy of Jane's Fighting ships back in about 1962 for $35. I subscribe to a naval feed and got an ad for the new one for 985 pounds. Wow.

The university and public main libraries used to get the new ones each year but dropped it. Sigh. Well, you can find lots of new ship info online anyways.

The new one and the associated online resources are great but outside my budget, unless I become head of a major gun rights organization. My wife won't let me have an intern anyway.

The (current) aircraft version is about the same price.
    Last edited by Guerrero; 07-26-2019 at 02:00 PM.

AddALL

http://used.addall.com/SuperRare/sub...lls&store=ZVAB

Great for looking for hard to find things. Out of print, obscure print, grey literature. Sure you're not going to get the latest version cheap. But you can collect them all. I'm seeing copies of the '60s and 70s books for a buck or two each...

PS: I spend way too much money using AddALL. I have been slowly, but surely, collecting every book on revolvers I can find. With the ultimately life goal of having the most complete library on revolver history, shooting techniques, and mechanics. And of course, I use it all the time to find obscure/out-of-print stuff for my actual work.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-26-2019 at 02:03 PM.

They will likely go the way of the dinosaur before very long. Likewise, Gun Digest has electronic versions of their print versions priced at $20 to $30. The ABSR shows me they aren't selling particularly well. I actually bought an eBook copy of Max Prasac's book on hunting revolvers and promptly returned it when I figured out that 1) a substantial portion of the copy was regurgitated from his book about big-bore revolvers and 2) there was very little in it I couldn't glean from free, online sources.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Glenn, have you found Drachinifel’s YouTube channel? I’d say he’s the best naval history content maker on the web now with a nice blend of long and short format videos. I don’t loose much by just listening since the majority of his videos are really good narration with a few relevant still photos or paintings. Check him out, I think you’ll dig it, and unlike Jane’s it’s free.

Link here: https://m.youtube.com/user/Drachinifel/videos

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    Glenn, have you found Drachinifel’s YouTube channel? I’d say he’s the best naval history content maker on the web now with a nice blend of long and short format videos. I don’t loose much by just listening since the majority of his videos are really good narration with a few relevant still photos or paintings. Check him out, I think you’ll dig it, and unlike Jane’s it’s free.

Link here: https://m.youtube.com/user/Drachinifel/videos
    I have been wasting a lot of time there lately. I mean who doesn't need to know more about French Pre-War (WWI that is) Dreadnaughts?

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    They will likely go the way of the dinosaur before very long. Likewise, Gun Digest has electronic versions of their print versions priced at $20 to $30. The ABSR shows me they aren't selling particularly well. I actually bought an eBook copy of Max Prasac's book on hunting revolvers and promptly returned it when I figured out that 1) a substantial portion of the copy was regurgitated from his book about big-bore revolvers and 2) there was very little in it I couldn't glean from free, online sources.
    The comments about Gun Digest reminded me of something. Back in the late 80s through the mid-90s, I bought every Gun Digest as soon as published. The articles and catalog was frequent reading material during the winter months in Michigan. A lot of my grail guns were featured on those pages. But I stopped buying as the content became recycled and firearms forums grew on the net. I have a complete set from the early 1980s through 2000 stuffed in boxes in one of our closets. A few weeks back I was picking up some chicken feed at the local Tractor Supply and saw the latest Gun Digest. Those once sold for about $30 in the heyday. These were on sale for less than $10. The nostalgia hit but I did not buy. Why? Because the information is surely obsolete.

Definitely had several years of Jane’s at home in the mid-80s for...uh...work related purposes.

I was also a member of the USNI for a time. A flyer arrived featuring a new novel by this guy named Clancy. Thinking it looked interesting, I ordered an early copy, one of the first available.

It was called [i]The Hunt for Red October[/b].

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    A flyer arrived featuring a new novel by this guy named Clancy. Thinking it looked interesting, I ordered an early copy, one of the first available.

It was called [i]The Hunt for Red October[/b].

"Soundsh catchy...but you mickshed your i's and b's."
    Last edited by blues; 07-26-2019 at 04:10 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    With the ultimately life goal of having the most complete library on revolver history, shooting techniques, and mechanics. And of course, I use it all the time to find obscure/out-of-print stuff for my actual work.
    What have you been doing to get yourself into @Dagga Boy's will that the rest of us don't know about?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

User Tag List