Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Bulk Bullet For 300BO?

What Bulk Bullet For 300BO?

So a few years ago I screwed up some loads in nice LC cases and the way I salvaged the bullets ruined the cases, so rather than discard Qty500 ruined cases I decided to buy a Ruger American and a AR pistol (with two uppers) and some Lee dies and some Squirrel Daddy expander pins and a Squirrel Daddy cutoff jig and a mini chop saw and a case gauge and a second 650, so now all I need to save those casings from the dumpster (except another carbine upper) is some bullets.

I got in the groove by loading fifty with the single stage press, with some nice Sierra 150g bullets I never used in 308, but now I want to go get 500-1k of whatever makes sense. I do not have a can (though that American is threaded...) so I am mostly thinking supers, and would prefer 125g because that seems to be a sweet spot for supers. The plated bullets do not seem to make sense, unless you load them slower or go really heavy, and heavy is not cheap.

Everglades Ammo is my go-to for 9mm, and they have these:
    https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...j-bullets.html
    They seem reasonable, but not bottom feeder cheap (I am really just screwing around at this point).

They also have these:
    https://www.evergladesammo.com/bulle...j-bullets.html
    that even though they are heavier, are cheaper, probably because there isn't the volume at 125g. And probably having these at hand might be handy for 308, but that is a big fat maybe at this point.

Anyway, just looking for reassurance I am not missing something obvious before I take a plunge.
    Last edited by mmc45414; 07-23-2019 at 06:45 AM.

Site Supporter
    One resource to check is shootersproshop.com. They sell factory seconds and over-runs from Nosler and other companies and I have always been impressed with the prices and quality. For blackout specifically, I have used the 110 nosler varmageddons, and for subs I have used the 190 custom competitions and their new RDF (all from shooters pro shop). The price of all of those made them very appealing.

I have also used the speer bullets, and for the price and performance I have been very happy. The 130 grain varminter and the 125 TNT are both great blackout super options, and once again the price is hard to beat.

Another option for subs are the coated bullets made by several companies now. Gallant bullets is local to me, so I can pick them up and save the shipping, but they have a couple 200+ grain coated bullet options, and they are inexpensive, and make for great plinking ammo. I shoot them through my omega 9k, and have no issues with leading.

I have loaded plenty of 147-150 grain bullets for blackout, but I don't really like them as much as the 110-130 grain bullets. I have gotten great deals on them on occasion, and I'll load them up and practice with them if the price is good enough. I think the nosler bullets from shooters pro shop are my preferred option when they are available, and the speer bullets are a great option that are basically always available.

Quote Originally Posted by nate89 View Post
    I have also used the speer bullets, and for the price and performance I have been very happy. The 130 grain varminter and the 125 TNT are both great blackout super options, and once again the price is hard to beat.
    Thanks Nate, I think that TNT is exactly what I was looking for....

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    So a few years ago I screwed up some loads in nice LC cases and the way I salvaged the bullets ruined the cases, so rather than discard Qty500 ruined cases I decided to buy a Ruger American and a AR pistol (with two uppers) and some Lee dies and some Squirrel Daddy expander pins and a Squirrel Daddy cutoff jig and a mini chop saw and a case gauge and a second 650, so now all I need to save those casings from the dumpster (except another carbine upper) is some bullets.
    So let I get this straight...instead of buying a bullet puller, you bought a rifle, a pistol, dies, case gauge, expanders, chop saw, and a Dillon 650, all to save mangled cases. Correct?

All I can say is, I like the way you think.
    Last edited by Hambo; 07-24-2019 at 06:40 AM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    So let I get this straight...
    Exactly!!!! Well, not exactly exactly, I am pretty sure I had a bullet puller, so I just woulda needed a collet...

My failed experiment involved sizing the necks unconventionally and my scheme resulted in inadequate neck pressure, so I pushed the bullets down into the case and used a expander to blow out the neck big enough to pour everything out. The bullets I was saving were SMKs, so the bullets were more valuable than the cases. I swear, it all worked fine when I loaded a few as a test (I think there were a few FC mixed in with the LC, and they worked...)!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    All I can say is, I like the way you think.
    Glad I am not the only one out there like me

I have a little crow 300 BO case trimmer, I’m no longer reloading so I have no use for it, if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    I have a little crow 300 BO case trimmer, I’m no longer reloading so I have no use for it, if you want it.
    This is a great community.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhitman View Post
    Thanks for the offer!
    I already bought one and pretty sure a simple endmill is the only thing that would ever wear out so I don't need an extra.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

What bullet did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
    What bullet did you go with?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    As Nate suggested I snagged Qty500 of the Speer TNT 125g.
    Have Qty100 loaded, tomorrow is the test fire.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

User Tag List