Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Deer Rifle and Optics Set Up

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I am no hunter, but I have a 24" Howa 1500 in .30-06 that is a very capable shooter. I threw it in a bell and carlson which was about as much money as I was going to spend to re-stock this rifle. It shoots sub-MOA with 180gr Federal Gold Medal Match. With my Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 6-18 it weights in at almost exactly 10lb, which may be on the heavy side for you.

That said, I have been very pleased with the Howa, and strongly encourage you to look into them. They are great rifles for the money. I'll defer to others on optics here, but definitely consider the Howa as you cross-shop rifles. You get a lot of bang for your buck, and can take the savings and invest that into a nice piece of glass.
    Last edited by Nephrology; 07-23-2019 at 09:38 AM.

Site Supporter
    Lots of good info. .308, .270 and 30-06 are classic rounds for a reason. I think if you want one rifle to deer hunt I would get a 30-06. From pronghorn antelope to bear/elk you are covered with the right bullet. For hunting I like the Leupold 2.5-8 and the 3-9x. I would not go over a 40mm objective because of size and weight. Get the best binoculars you can afford. Check out used binos. High end photography stores often have used equipment. Birdwatchers trade in their binos. I searched for used leicas and I am very happy with them. I like smaller binos than most people but I find them handier. I have a used leitz 7x35 binos that I really like

The Bergara can be had for sub $600. Here is a gun.deals search for the 6.5 Creed

https://gun.deals/search/apachesolr_search/B14S102

I started out with a .30-06 and have moved to the .250 Savage.
    If buying now I might be getting a rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor.

The rifle I use now is a Ruger 77RL. Scope is a Leupold 2-7 variable.
    I bought the rifle used and added a new scope. It weighs six and a half pounds with scope and
    sling and feels more like my over and under 20 gauge shotgun than
    any of my other rifles. Light, accurate, and a good killer on deer.

Don't be afraid to buy used. Most deer rifles are shot to sight in October and
    then fired once or twice at the year's venison a month later.

I would also add the Weatherby Vanguard line if you like a dressed up Howa 1500...and I believe they guarantee sub-moa don't they?

Lots of great advice. The only thing I would offer scope wise is a leupold vx-5 or something similar. I notice significant difference in light transmission from the lower end leupold vs the vx-5 and up. From a hunting perspective light transmission is big being able to ethically take a deer in low light scenarios. In my experience the trophy deer are always seen at dawn or dusk.
    Also the link cornstalker put up is a smoking deal on the bergara. I would jump on that and take the cost savings towards a more expensive scope.

Your Deer Rifle and Optic Set Up

Steyr Scout caliber .308 Winchester rifle with Leupold Mark 4 1.5 - 5X20mm MR/T scope in Talley rings.

As others have said I hunt with 30-06 for a few reasons. You can get ammo at pretty much any gas station across the country, you can tailor your bullet weight and power quite a lot, and you know.... It's an 06 n all! I hunt in WA state mostly so west side is close range but when you go east of the mountains you could easily be out to 400 or so
    I use a Tikka T3X laminate stainless with a Nikon monarch 7 4-16x50 . Glass is excellent in low light and I LOVE the reticle.
    No actual pics on my phone but it is a beautiful rifle
    Name:  t3x_laminated_stainless.jpg
Views: 603
Size:  15.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Lester Polfus View Post
    Deer Rifle #1: Marlin 1894C with a Vortex Red Dot.
    Deer/Elk Rifle #2: 18" Ruger M77Mk2 .308 with a Leupold 1.75 to 5.
    #1 bear/dear rifle Puma M92 16" .45 Colt
    #2 Ruger m77mkll 7mm Mauser 4x leupold
    #3 Mossberg 590a1 18" though last year my shockwave got a lot of use.

Any standard caliber from .243-.300 winmag will do you just fine. Any 3-9, 4x, etc scope from Leopold will do you just fine.

Remington, Ruger, Savage, Winchester etc. Pick an accurate midweight bullet. Don't overthink this.

Eta if you're still hunting or stalking then lighter is better. If you're hunting from a stand it doesn't matter.
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-23-2019 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    This is excellent advice. A Nightforce SHV 3-10x42 with the illuminated Forceplex reticle on top of a Tikka T3 would be very hard to beat.

I'd also add a first-rate pair of binoculars. I'd rather hunt with $1k binos and a $200 rifle than the other way around.

Okie John
    HTML Code:
    NightForce SHV 3-10x42mm .250MOA Riflescope, Illuminated Forceplex, Black, C611
    Reticle: Illuminated Forceplex
    Finish: Matte
    Exit Pupil: 4 - 5.9 mm, 6 - 7.9 mm, 8 - 9.9 mm, 10 - 11.9 mm
    Weight Range: 1 - 1.49 lb
    Tube Diameter: 30 mm
    Eye Relief: 3 - 3.9 in
    Eye Relief: 31+ mm
    Reticle: Crosshair
    Adjustment Click Value: 1/4 MOA
    Minimum Magnification: 3 x
    Maximum Magnification: 10 x
    Objective Lens Diameter: 40 - 49 mm
    Color: Black
    $985.00
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I really like the idea of an illuminated reticle. This model Leupold VX-5HD 1-5x24mm CDS-ZL2 at $1200 ish looks interesting as well. By the way, I was able to get my hands on the Tikka T3X Lite and it was startlingly light.

User Tag List