Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Your Deer Rifle and Optics Set Up

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Well, the last gun I shopped scopes for was a Contender, so you may be right about the source of my confusion. But I have two of the rifle scopes, and that's what I meant to discuss in this thread.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    So I have finally decided to get into a budget bolt gun for this upcoming deer season. My goal is a simple, lightweight setup. Vast majority of my hunting in 300yds and closer. I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM.

Attachment 41485

Now I'm looking at scopes, and the choices are mind boggling. Any recommendations? I have a hard budget of $750 for scope & rings.

But.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LPVO on my AR that I'm considering to move over onto the Ruger. Is that dumb?

(edited to add: I'm pretty much a 'tard when it comes to MOA vs Mil, so I'm open to using / learning either)

This scope:

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-hd-3-9x....html?___SID=U

The SWFA 3x9 MIL/MIL or MOA/MOA whatever you prefer. I used to be a Leupold fan before their quality tanked and they started sourcing parts overseas. Now unless I am going to save to coin for a Nightforce (which is rare these days), I buy SWFAs and have been very satisfied with their repeatability, and durability in using them in the field and on the range.

Years back I bought a fixed 10X swfa and put it on my primary elk rifle (a .300WM Tikka T3). The idea was that it would suffice until I saved up for a Nightforce. However after using the SWFA 10X for a while, I was extremely happy and decided that there was no need to spend the $$ for the NF for my intended purposes.

Anyways back to your needs/intentions; I think that this will give you not only a very reliable optic, as well as fit within your budget, but it will also allow you to have one that will allow you to learn to dial for longer shots should you eventually want to learn to do so.

As a side note, my oldest daughter's .308 wears a fixed 6X SWFA zeroed for 300 yards and it is very easy to ring small steel plates with it at fairly decent distances.

@Lost River

I was looking pretty hard at the SWFA choices after reading one of your previous posts.

I think for now, I'm just going to use my Trijicon 1-6 until I can articulate a true need for something different.

For rifles carried more than they are shot, I go for ultra light weight if possible.

My current deer rifle is a Savage 16 LW Hunter in 7-08 topped with a Leupold VX3i 2.5-8 and a VTac lightweight hunting sling. The whole outfit is 7.0 lbs fully loaded.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    @Lost River

I was looking pretty hard at the SWFA choices after reading one of your previous posts.

I think for now, I'm just going to use my Trijicon 1-6 until I can articulate a true need for something different.
    You should be able to do some pretty good work with a 6X, so I think you will be punching a lot of tags, especially if your max ranges are generally 300 yards.

Happy hunting!

Site Supporter
    Anybody try the SWFA 2.5-10x32 scope?

Quote Originally Posted by Poconnor View Post
    Anybody try the SWFA 2.5-10x32 scope?

I've looked hard at it as a simple and lightweight option. I've had two SWFA fixed power scopes. They were both solid, seemingly very well built, and the turrets were extremely repeatable (did a lot of elevation dialing on a rimfire out to 220y). I'm curious if the "lightweight" offerings are as rugged.

SWFA has great Black Friday prices on their branded optics. They tend to go fast though. I bought both of mine on BF sales. I'll be looking again this year.
    @Lost River Sadly, it looks like they don't have a MOA/MOA version of the 3-9x HD right now.

Marlin 336Y with Leupold

This is what I’ll be using this year:Name:  0987FB54-021B-4021-8741-548C712D221F.jpg
Views: 633
Size:  31.9 KB

A Marlin 336Y with a Leupold VX-3i 2.5-8 in a DNZ mount.

I like it because the youth length stock and the 16” barrel is pretty handy (I’m five seven) and it should perform well down here in the woods of the SE US.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Heckuva deal going on Tikkas over here, with a $75 rebate. Even have some left handed 6.5CMs in stock for you sinister folks out there.

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting-...rifle/p/p46876

Superlite is like a Lite, but with a fluted barrel.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Picked up a Ruger American Predator in 6.5 Creedmoor today from the local GS. Plan on throwing a scope on it next month (leaning towards a Vortex Viper PST G2 3-15x44 FFP at the moment). Overkill on scope but I’d also like to do some casual long range shooting with this setup too so having 15-16x on the high end is appealing to me right now.
    Shoot more, post less...

User Tag List