Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Deer Rifle and Optics Set Up

Quote Originally Posted by Hieronymous View Post
    Nice set up! Have you found the stock pack handy? I have seen a version by SKD Tactical and thought it a neat way to carry my ammo and perhaps stow lens wipes and/or scope covers; or it could add unnecessary bulk?
    I've had this one from Triad Tactical for a number of years.

As far as functionality, I tend to put my mag in it for transport/storage, keep spare foam earplugs in it, and enjoy the bit of padding and elevation it provides for a repeatable cheek rest (it forms a subtle dent that I use as a reference point for my cheek). Lastly, I really like it in the summer when the FL sun is pounding down and I don't have to put my cheek on a scorching hot black stock. Same reason all my AR stocks/grips are in FDE or Foliage.

ETA: It doesn't get in my way. When it's empty (just foam plugs), it mostly lays flat on itself. I haven't seen the SKD version, but I know Triad now offers the same pad but without the pack, if you're worried about bulk.
    Last edited by StraitR; 08-08-2019 at 12:34 AM.

Supporting Business CS Tactical's Avatar
    Found a pic and specs on Dan's 'old' rig

-Rubicon Precision 30/28 Nosler(Reamer designed by DB)
    -Lone Peak Fuzion TI Action
    -Proof Carbon Barrel - 28" Sendero - 9 Twist
    -XLR Carbon Chassis with Folder
    -XLR Bag Rider
    -Henderson Precision Arca Plate
    -MBM Ti Brake
    -Vortex AMG
    -Nightforce Rings
    -Accurate Mags
    -Currently using 230 Hybrids ~2950
    -Weight ~10.5lbs

"Took this rig on a Mule deer hunt this year and it worked out great."

Name:  XLR Build 2018.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  XLR Build 2018 2.jpg
Views: 854
Size:  59.5 KB
    CS Tactical
    For the best pricing on Optics please PM or call 916.670.1103
    Dealer for Zero Compromise, Tangent Theta, Leupold,
    Nightforce, MDT, Vortex, XLR Industries and more...
    www.cstactical.com

Old Reliable
    Ruger RS .358 Win.
    Leupold 2.5 compact

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    Did you mean .357? Sounds like you are in a straight wall case restricted area.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oops, yes

Name:  KIMG1383.jpg
Views: 602
Size:  49.1 KB

Rossi M92
    I need to do some load development though. AE 158 jsps shoot pretty good. Same as 158 swc-wn over 13.5gr 2400. Either would be fine I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    Steve

How are you liking the Barrett?

It, along with the Sauer, are on my shortlist. I like the 60 degree bolt throw on the Sauer as well as that it is less expensive. But, there’s a lot of things I like about the Barrett too.
    I love it. As pictured, it weighs a hair under 7 lbs. It’s a perfect FL rifle, where if your gear isn’t damp, it’s downright wet. It’s short and well-balanced, so it’s easy to manage in a kayak. Perfect trigger, slick action. Shoots sub-MOA with factory ammo. Used to be, to get a rifle this good, you needed to spend a fair amount of time and money on a custom job. To be able to buy one this good off the shelf still blows my mind.

So I have finally decided to get into a budget bolt gun for this upcoming deer season. My goal is a simple, lightweight setup. Vast majority of my hunting in 300yds and closer. I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM.

Attachment 41485

Now I'm looking at scopes, and the choices are mind boggling. Any recommendations? I have a hard budget of $750 for scope & rings.

But.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LPVO on my AR that I'm considering to move over onto the Ruger. Is that dumb?

(edited to add: I'm pretty much a 'tard when it comes to MOA vs Mil, so I'm open to using / learning either)
    Last edited by texasaggie2005; 08-19-2019 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post
    So I have finally decided to get into a budget bolt gun for this upcoming deer season. My goal is a simple, lightweight setup. Vast majority of my hunting in 300yds and closer. I just bought a Ruger American Predator in 6.5CM.

Attachment 41485

Now I'm looking at scopes, and the choices are mind boggling. Any recommendations? I have a hard budget of $750 for scope & rings.

But.

I have a Trijicon Accupoint 1-6 LPVO on my AR that I'm considering to move over onto the Ruger. Is that dumb?

(edited to add: I'm pretty much a 'tard when it comes to MOA vs Mil, so I'm open to using / learning either)
    Following as I’ve been eyeing the same gun as of late.
    Shoot more, post less...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by texasaggie2005 View Post

Attachment 41485

But.

There isn’t a deer out there that would know you didn’t buy a new scope to shoot it with.

Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    Following as I’ve been eyeing the same gun as of late.
    I'll update after I get setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    There isn’t a deer out there that would know you didn’t buy a new scope to shoot it with.
    True. Just not confident that a max of 6x with the triangle reticle will offer the same degree of precision the rifle is capable of.

User Tag List