Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone using a 7.62x51 AR pattern carbine?

Site Supporter

Anyone using a 7.62x51 AR pattern carbine?

As the title states... Looking for some input from those who are. Just acquired a 16 inch SA gun. My idea is that it could serve as a harder hitting version of my 16 inch 5.56 carbine rather than a semi-precision platform. My 5.56 guns have either Aimpoints or a Trijicon Accupoint 1x4 with the green triangle on a post reticle. I like them. Thinking about adding one to the new gun. Does anyone with a 7.62 AR carbine have it equipped with an LVPO?. If so, which one, what zero, and how is it holding up to use?

Thanks in advance!

I personally see almost zero net benefit (when weighed against the downsides) to 7.62 as a “close quarters” carbine over a 5.56. The large frame AR fills the role between carbine 0-500 meters) and precision bolt action (800+ meters) with some overlap with both. Any good large frame AR should be sub 2 MOA, and thus usable to 800 meters at least. With that in mind, I want a minimum 6X (preferably higher) top end magnification on any rifle powered cartridge.

All that considered, I think the ideal for a 7.62 semi is in the 1-8 or 2-10 range. These give you the best use of all ranges that the rifle is likely to be used in. Depending on your pain tolerance, these can be combined with RTS sights or a QD mount for a really good jack-of-all-trades rifle.

I’m currently using a Trijicon 1-8 Accupower and Leupold VX-R patrol 3-9 on my .308 semi’s. I don’t like the SFP or low end on the Leupold, but its lighter weight makes it a pretty nice scope for the money. If I did it again, I’d opt for an FFP 2-10 instead (being used on LMT MWS).

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    I've been shooting my PWS 216 as my primary long gun for the past couple years. I started with a simple Aimpoint PRO, then went to a Leupold 1.25-4 VXR on it but have since put a uber cheap Vortex Strike Eagle 1-8 on it as a place holder to help me decide whether a 1-8 optic is the way to go for my needs. I've had no issues with either scopes and the recoil, loss of zero, etc. Maybe about 500 rounds since I started running LPVOs on it. For the Leupold I went with a basic 100 yard zero since it has adjustable turrets but the Strike Eagle uses a retical that is based on a 200 yard zero - still playing with that.

Realistically for me - this gun is more of a range toy than a serious "whatever euphemism you want to use for really needing to use a carbine." If I lived in an area with more wide open spaces where 200+ yard shots would be common, it might be the ideal all round gun but being in a urban/suburban setting it's just a lot of extra weight. But since the real world zombies that infest my metro area are relatively docile - I can afford to play.

This has @Failure2Stop written all over it.

I have an SR-25 CC 16" with an ATACR 1-8×, zeroed for 100 yards with Speer Gold Dot 150 gr. It's heavy with the full size SureFire can, and makes me appreciate my 5.56 guns more. It's skewed toward range, given the FFP optic, but it can be used close in if needed. The sheer weight with the can makes it a chore for run and gun type stuff, but without it, is arguably more lively than my suppressed 14.5" with a K16i.
    Last edited by Default.mp3; 07-26-2019 at 12:59 PM.

I've personally toyed a little bit with ARs in 7.62 NATO.

First was a pretty miserable LMT MWS that went back in sometime around when the NZ competition was consuming all of LMT's internal resources. Bad experience from beginning to end and I dumped the malfamatic, poor performing weapon at a loss, with issues disclosed. (Love my MARS-L though!)

Next abortive attempt I ordered the Colt Competition (Bold Ideas, TX) closeout kit from CDNN... mostly because I wanted the lower. The accompanying parts were all absolute bottom of the barrel though so that went back. Probably not worth mentioning.

Not giving up, I built up an Aero M5 kit with a BA Hanson profile SS barrel and FFSR rail, 16x SWFA on top, suppressed, and accuracy was excellent with M118 at 100m. It still wasn't 100% reliable though.

On my final attempt, I did a Faxon bolt and barrel with Aero upper and Atlas HGs (lights and grips only) on the same lower, and it is PERFECT PERFECT. I even won a stage with it at June's two-gun... which I have not done before... and this was on a no-expectations ".308 on my 38th" birthday goof. I can't believe how the 16" pencil retains it's accuracy even on range days where the firing schedule gets it hot. For an optic right now, I'm using a 1-4x Vortex Ranger (FKA Gen 1 Viper).

The Faxon BCG even corrected the reliability woes on my heavier upper, and I'm super happy with all at this time.

As far as "no benefit," I agree if we're talking paper out to intermediate distances. Knocking steel off the posts and causing the range to go cold to reset says something about the ability to penetrate light cover though, and based on the accuracy I'm seeing from even just casual positional shooting I'm confident in it's ability to go long (though I don't have access to such facilities at this time).

TL;DR: Takeaway- What we all know, and I knew going in- stick with as few manufacturers as possible to mitigate tolerance stacking and compatibility issues. Expect there to be obstacles on your quest. 7.62 NATO has different properties than 5.56 NATO. 5.56 NATO is a better all around, GP cartridge, so you won't win any arguments about "better."

I have a KAC 14.5" CC carbine I run with either an Aimpoint T2 or Luepold MK6 1-6. It shot great but a bit more recoil than I had out of my 16" ACC. I installed a KAC MAMS and with the T2 as an optic keeping the weight down it has really changed the recoil characteristics of the CC. It thumps more like a heavier 5.56 carbine now. Recoil seems to have been tamed a bit more and I can run it more like I would a 5,56 rifle.
    I decided to go with a KAC CQD CQB 7.62 can for it to try and mitigate some sound while keeping it as short as possible. That and KAC hadn't released the CRS can yet. My stamp is cleared now but I haven't had anytime to test it the the CQB can on it yet but I do like how it only adds a few inches to the overall length. I use it as my kinda do all 7.62 gun depending on optic choice.

Is this for work?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

I tried it. A 16" 7.62 is not the same as a 16" 5.56 just scaled up. Its completely different. I abandoned it for my purposes.

I got rid of all my 7.62. If I need something with more oomph I prefer the AR15 format.

Pick your poison, 300, 6.8, 6.5 Grendel, 224 Valkyrie. It’s all about use case.

Here are a few old threads on the AR10.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ighlight=Larue

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....gestions/page3

Bottom line is make sure the gun is reliable first. There is weight and recoil penalty. Many suggestions for using a different caliber in an AR15.

User Tag List