Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attackers disarm CA CCWer

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I got $10 that says he's had zero hours of formal training.
    He had to have at least 8 hours to get a CCW in California, but there probably wasn't any shooting aside from the final qualification. But it does look like Shasta County requires a little more accuracy than average: 80% in the 9 ring instead of the 8 ring for most CA counties.

Quote Originally Posted by Shasta County CCW Qualification
    Target: B-27 PRO-G silhouette or equivalent.
    Qualification: 80% - 16/20 shots within the 9 ring (line counts).
    Course of fire: Static course at the 7 yard line, 4 volleys, 20 rounds total, no time limit.
    Reload between stages (if necessary). Shoot the entire course strong-hand supported.

First volley 5 rounds, scan and re-holster
    Second volley 5 rounds, scan and re-holster
    Third volley 5 rounds, scan and re-holster
    Fourth volley 5 rounds, scan and re-holster
    Last edited by 0ddl0t; 07-22-2019 at 12:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Casual Friday View Post
    I got $10 that says he's had zero hours of formal training.
    That’s an easy bet for you to make sense the vast majority of CCWers don’t receive formal training (outside of the CCW class.)

But I understand your point and you aren’t wrong.

I would have to agree with CJ's mention above that while training is certainly good, (for a number of reasons), it is no guarantee of success, or avoiding a visit from Mr. Murphy.

Not everything that works on a range, in the ring or octagon, or on the mat always translates well to a given situation coming upon an individual out of left field. Everyone is wired differently and it's very difficult to predict how oneself or others will react in a given circumstance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Quote Originally Posted by Gray01 View Post
    I would not stop for Harriet if she and Opie were doing CPR on Ozzie in front of Floyd's Barbershop at high noon.
    I know you are 90% bluster with the angry tone and all the f bombs and such, but you are either an asshole or a paranoid asshole.

I’m not saying I would have stopped at 3am for folks I didn’t know (I wouldn’t have) but the world would be a miserable place if we all adopted the attitude of “all that matters is me and my family and me going home at night and I’m not helping anyone.”

Edit - I now see there are two “Grays” replying in this thread. I’ve conflated the two. The Gray I quoted didn’t drop the f bombs or have the angry tone. The other Gray did that.

I’ll leave the post unedited but it’s the first Gray that is full of bluster and f bombs and the angry tone. The second Gray is just paranoid.
    Last edited by BigD; 07-22-2019 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper224 View Post
    Because most people are relatively honest and they naively assume others are the same. Since most live in their own personal bubble, nothing of any great import usually touches them in any meaningful way, so they exist under a false sense of security. Their good intentions are then preyed upon by the predatory element of our society.

Also, the act of carrying a gun doesn't make you a gun fighting bad ass, any more than the participation in a forum like this does. Most of the time, it just makes you a D-bag with a gun.
    Cottonwood looks rural.
    People tend to help more.

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I didn't know one could purchase common sense training, cause this isn't really an issue of gun training, but one of common sense. You dont stop for folks at 0300. If you feel a need to call for help, pull over 50 yds away and tell them you called the cops to come help them and drive off. Dollars to donuts, there is more to the story like say prostitutes, or drugs...
    One of the pistol courses that I took with my wife had another couple in it who had no idea that there were people out there who fake break downs and flat tires to rob and assault people until the instructor shared a story about that nearly happening to him. Some people live in a bubble, unaware of the danger around them until someone points it out to them.

Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    He had to have at least 8 hours to get a CCW in California, but there probably wasn't any shooting aside from the final qualification. But it does look like Shasta County requires a little more accuracy than average: 80% in the 9 ring instead of the 8 ring for most CA counties.
    A CCW course isn't what I meant by formal training.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I would have to agree with CJ's mention above that while training is certainly good, (for a number of reasons), it is no guarantee of success, or avoiding a visit from Mr. Murphy.

Not everything that works on a range, in the ring or octagon, or on the mat always translates well to a given situation coming upon an individual out of left field. Everyone is wired differently and it's very difficult to predict how oneself or others will react in a given circumstance.
    Certainly not a guarantee, but I've found that most people that seek out formal training aren't the type to get trick rolled at 3am, and are probably unlikely to drop their gun once they skin leather to do work.

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    I dunno... I've watched dudes with hundreds of hours (maybe into the thousands) of hours worth of "formalized training" be less than useful during a critical incident. In fact, I've watched said dudes do their best to crawl out of trouble as soon as the stakes became real.
    Doesn't look like a bad course of action to me.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Doesn't look like a bad course of action to me.
    Fair point and I concur with the concept of what you're saying.

I was vague in my statement. I should have said: "I've seen guys - with a lot of formalized training - attempt to crawl out of trouble to the detriment of themselves and others."

After reading the article and some of this thread's comments, where the initial response/assumption was the gun carrier was "untrained," I thought it relevant to provide personal experience (anecdotal evidence) which suggests one can have a lot of "formalized training" and still not do well.

Although I support getting as much training as possible, I do think it is presumptuous to assume someone has zero training because they didn't dominate a given situation. Especially in the absence of more facts.

The idea someone will do great in any situation because of "formalized training" can become, IMO, a false sense of security similar to those who rely solely on the protective totem of just owning a gun.

"Formalized Training" is a huge umbrella term. Just having lots of it doesn't mean you've got the situationally relevant training that will help hedge your odds of success.

The Devil's Advocate rests.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    "True heroism is remarkably sober, very undramatic. It is not the urge to surpass all others at whatever cost, but the urge to serve others at whatever cost." -Arthur Ashe

Quote Originally Posted by Clark Jackson View Post
    @Grey I don't know where you have or have not been at 3am, but I've got more than one solid story with a more than positive outcome which resulted from me hanging out somewhere around 3am. Let's not all become square pumpkins simply based off the hand positions of a clock.
    Good for you. I have none, but I have a lot of bad outcome at 0300 stories. I no longer get paid to deal with 0300 stories of any kind, so I'll call 911 as I drive on past.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Site Supporter
    Day or night when I see a motorist in distress, I call the p.d.'s non emergency number and report what I saw. I will stop at wrecks and direct traffic if first responders have not arrived. Otherwise, I stay out of the way. I don't rubber neck either.

User Tag List