Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Require NRA Directors to Attend Board Meetings

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    My signed petition is in the mail.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I just blasted this via email from PF to everyone who's ever registered on PF. Please don't throw too much refuse at me. I believe in what @Tiffany Johnson is doing here and I want to support her efforts as much as I and PF can.

Obviously, ignore the email if you have already filled out this petition or if you disagree.
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I just blasted this via email from PF to everyone who's ever registered on PF. Please don't throw too much refuse at me. I believe in what @Tiffany Johnson is doing here and I want to support her efforts as much as I and PF can.

Obviously, ignore the email if you have already filled out this petition or if you disagree.
    Yay! [emoji3] Thanks a million!

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    No, thank you
    #RESIST

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.
    Hey Steph! For whatever it's worth, in my second letter to the NRA Board, I warned about the bad optics of going to Alaska now and asked if they'd be willing to relocate the meeting to HQ. I was told that because Northern Virginia is so expensive, it's actually cheaper to go to Alaska. I suggested that they make some effort to communicate that to the members. I haven't seen any.

I was also told that the contracts with the hotels are years old, and they can't cancel them now. And at least one director accused me of being anti-Alaska and said my suggestion was insulting to our two board members from Alaska.

I don't know about the flights or hotel costs, but I do know at least one reason why Alaska *might* actually be cheaper. In Fairfax, they bring in not just the 76 board members but also the committee members. In Alaska, several of the committees are not meeting. I know on Outreach (before I was kicked off, LOL), we were going to meet by phone because we weren't funded for the Alaska meeting. I'm not sure how many other committees aren't meeting.

As for the cruise, I know there is a movement afoot among directors and donors to cancel that. I suspect they might be contractually bound at this point, but I have no idea.

Personally, I wish they'd find a less luxurious but still perfectly serviceable hotel somewhere outside of expensive Fairfax - or even somewhere else, a different city - to hold board meetings. There's no rule in the bylaws that says the board must meet near HQ. They could save a ton of money and avoid the appearance of being tone-deaf at best and fiscally irresponsible at worst.

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Site Supporter
    In the post box this morning.

Thanks!
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Hey Steph! For whatever it's worth, in my second letter to the NRA Board, I warned about the bad optics of going to Alaska now and asked if they'd be willing to relocate the meeting to HQ. I was told that because Northern Virginia is so expensive, it's actually cheaper to go to Alaska. I suggested that they make some effort to communicate that to the members. I haven't seen any.

I was also told that the contracts with the hotels are years old, and they can't cancel them now. And at least one director accused me of being anti-Alaska and said my suggestion was insulting to our two board members from Alaska.

I don't know about the flights or hotel costs, but I do know at least one reason why Alaska *might* actually be cheaper. In Fairfax, they bring in not just the 76 board members but also the committee members. In Alaska, several of the committees are not meeting. I know on Outreach (before I was kicked off, LOL), we were going to meet by phone because we weren't funded for the Alaska meeting. I'm not sure how many other committees aren't meeting.

As for the cruise, I know there is a movement afoot among directors and donors to cancel that. I suspect they might be contractually bound at this point, but I have no idea.

Personally, I wish they'd find a less luxurious but still perfectly serviceable hotel somewhere outside of expensive Fairfax - or even somewhere else, a different city - to hold board meetings. There's no rule in the bylaws that says the board must meet near HQ. They could save a ton of money and avoid the appearance of being tone-deaf at best and fiscally irresponsible at worst.
    They do need to communicate with the members, but all they deign to do is give up the Mushroom Treatment.

I applaud you for trying to reform the NRA. But I fear that WLP's tentacles are dug in too deep.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

FWIW - I live about 10 miles from the HQ. Yeah, the DC area can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I'm sure there are plenty of nice, mid-range places where they could have a meeting. Their HQ is in the 'burbs a bit, and the price drops off once you get away from downtown DC. Last month another club that I'm in held a weekend (Friday - Sunday) event at a Marriott or Sheraton in Tyson's Corner (a reasonably nice area) for a very modest cost. At the same time we were there, there was some sort of comic-con going on, so they also could afford it. With three major airports close by, flight don't have to be expensive.

They chose their HQ to be close to DC, and I think most members understand why. Most members also probably understand that doing business in the area is going to be a bit more expensive, but as long as productivity is maximized, and there is no appearance of it being a boondoggle, most members would not object.

IN LIKE FLYNN.

You know hugh????
    HUGHH DAMN RIGHT

Another signed petition from a Life Member here who doesn't want his membership wasted will be going into the mail.

I'm going to spread the word on another gun forum, as well, when I get out of work!
    Semper Fi, Marines!

AWDCorvette.com - Corvettes and especially the new 2024 all-wheel drive ERay!
    youtube.com/@AWDCorvetteERay

User Tag List