Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Step 1: Require NRA Directors to Attend Board Meetings

Smile Step 1: Require NRA Directors to Attend Board Meetings

Hey Everyone!

Over in the NRA Sh*t Storm thread, there have been several comments along the lines of "what can we do?" Well, I recently helped to draft some of the messaging for a new organization called Save the Second. It was discussed a bit over in the other thread. If you haven't heard about it, here's their website, and here's their Facebook page. Bottom line, it's a bunch of NRA members hoping to fix the NRA from the inside - essentially save the NRA from itself. Here are the five goals they're working on:

• Reduce the size of the board (requires bylaw amendment)
    • Term limits for board members (bylaw amendment)
    • Attendance requirements for board members (bylaw amendment)
    • Better engagement with and by the membership - getting members more involved and increasing voter turnout
    • Returning to a hard focus on the Second Amendment issues, instead of smashing television sets with sledgehammers and putting KKK hoods on toy trains

They've rolled out their first proposed bylaw amendment, and that's the one to require minimum attendance for directors. In order to get that amendment on the agenda for a vote at the September board meeting, they need 250 signatures by August 1st. I know, tight deadline. I should have posted this sooner; sorry, I've just been swamped. But if you're a voting-eligible NRA member and you agree that board members should actually attend board meetings, please consider adding your name to the petition. You can find simple instructions, the petition itself, and the return mailing address on their website: http://www.savethe2a.org/petitions/. Hope some of you will sign and return it ASAP (and if you've got buddies who want to sign, even better).

Reality check: I'm not super-optimistic that this amendment will pass. But I do want to get it before the Board and make the directors take action on it. I'm hoping for a roll-call vote so we can see exactly where every board member stands on this issue. Even if it's not successful, it's a step in the right direction.

To be clear, Save the Second ain't perfect, LOL. No organization is :-). But as far as I've found, they're the only outfit that's actually doing something about the NRA mess rather than just talking about it. So, I'm on board. I think they'll be introducing the next amendments for the January board meeting, but I'm not sure. I bet they'll probably reassess after we see what happens in September. If any of the STS board members are here on PF, please do chime in. And if you guys know of any other grassroots groups that are taking action, by all means please post them, because I'd like to support internal change however I can. I know about Dell'Aquila's effort, but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).

Thanks, everyone!

Tiff :-)
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Site Supporter
    Done. In mail Monday. I want to help improve from "inside" - Life Member.

I’ll get mine in the mail Monday. Thanks!

Thank you Tiff!

Already downloaded; looking to leverage that ‘life member’ status on my end, too. Thanks for posting, Tiffany.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

Petition #1 printed out, circulating.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    ...I know about Dell'Aquila's effort, but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).
    "Phase 3 released week of July 8th..."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Petition #1 printed out, circulating.

"Phase 3 released week of July 8th..."
    LOL [emoji4]

www.FrontSightPress.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com
    www.Rangemaster.com
    www.CitizensSafety.com | www.CitizensSafetyOnline.com
    | Learn more. Plan well. Fear less.|

Done, goes out in tomorrow's mail.
    "Therefore, since the world has still... Much good, but much less good than ill,
    And while the sun and moon endure, Luck's a chance, but trouble's sure,
    I'd face it as a wise man would, And train for ill and not for good." -- A.E. Housman

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany Johnson View Post
    I know about Dell'Aquila's effort, but that one is geared more towards big-dollar donors (which ain't me).
    In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    In the middle of at least two AGs investigating the NRA, those clowns are having a board meeting in Alaska so they can go on a luxury fishing trip on the NRA’s dime? WLP and his cronies have to be arrogant AF, world-class stupid, or a mixture of both.
    Agree. As an organization that is [theoretically] about advocating for rights, WTF are they doing *ever* spending donated money that way? I've been reluctant to become a member for a long time, and this kind of stuff does not encourage me to change my mind.

User Tag List