View Poll Results: Cordless battery powered tool of choice?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milwaukee

47 42.34%
  • Ryobi

11 9.91%
  • Hilti

0 0%
  • DeWalt

38 34.23%
  • Rigid

3 2.70%
  • Bosch

5 4.50%
  • Harbor Freight

0 0%
  • Something else (name it)

7 6.31%
Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: The great PF cordless tool debate

I have learned the hard way about trying aftermarket li-ion Ryobi batteries, just don’t do it.
    #RESIST

Student
    I've worked in manufacturing environments for the last three or so years. All of them used Milwaukee M18 line products to the point I ended up purchasing my own, mostly for drilling holes in steel frames and steel plates. For better performance I think you would have to use pneumatic tools or have a workpiece small enough for the machinists to work on, but that may not be an option for most homeowners.

Edit: I've seen most welders at community college and at work using Makita grinders. Most of the cordless drills and impacts I see from co-workers personal toolsets are from Dewalt's 20V line.
    Last edited by Yung; 07-21-2019 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I have learned the hard way about trying aftermarket li-ion Ryobi batteries, just don’t do it.
    What happened? I only have Ryobi brand batteries, but an acquaintance has been raving about Vanon brand batteries, and they are cheaper, but I'm leery.

I had a dewalt cordless for 20 years before both batteries finally gave out. Was at HD and they had a drill/hammer combo M12 setup for about $80. It was a demo unit. I use the hammer drill more than I though I would. Love them. It was cheaper than replacing the dewalt batteries (they were old and hard to find). I think I made out OK.
    "Specialization is for insects." -Robert A. Heinlein

I have Milwaukee M12 stuff. I’m very happy. They have way more power than I expected. I used one of the drills to hang a new storm door on my porch, it kicked ass. The batteries don’t last super long if you use them a lot, but I got a couple combo packages that had a bunch of batteries so if I ever need to I just swap out and put one back on the charger.

Would buy again tomorrow if I was starting over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I really want M12
    I picked up the drill & impact driver M12 combo a few years ago (well, nine?) on Black Friday. First-ever planned Black Friday purchase; I happened to be in the store the night before to pick up some hardware and saw the flyer. They've been awesome. Use them all the time. I stick with the small batteries so they are lighter and more compact, as that is the whole point with them.

Anything bigger than that, I go corded or air because those tools are essentially a permanent investment. I can buy the tool I need now and have it for the rest of my life or until the end of modern civilization, which ever comes first. They are generally lighter, more compact and more wieldy apart from the cord, and more powerful with no worry about level of charge. When the electric drill I bought with some of my high school graduation money finally had the insulation on the cord crack to the point you could see the insulation on the inner wire after more than a couple decades, I bought ten feet of heavy rubber tool cord and a plug kit at Home Depot and set it up better than it was new. It was a good chance to blow out some of the dust and relube a couple things on the inside, too.

I did pick up a Makita 18V cordless handheld vacuum a couple years ago. It's been awesome for in the house and is the ultimate eliminator of small winged creatures. No other company had an equivalent vac at the time I bought it, but I haven't added anything else to that ecosystem.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-21-2019 at 06:39 PM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Makita blower is awesome, use it everytime I mow the lawn

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Having worked in the automotive business for 15 years Makita was far and away the leader in what I saw used everyday. Having said that, I feel like they haven't quite kept up on the battery technology side of things. In my experience it is the battery that is usually the point of failure not the tool itself. I think Milwaukee and Dewalt are the definitive leaders in that regard by far and the sheer variety of tools they offer is outstanding. If what someone is looking for is catered a little more towards automotive type work I can recommend the Ingersoll-Rand stuff as well.

I made a living in construction for many years. I started with Dewalt then I went to Makita and now I have a set of Milwaukee 18v tools that will most likely last me the rest of my life.

Site Supporter
    Not a serious user here, but I've been happy with my Craftsman 19.2V stuff.

User Tag List