View Poll Results: Cordless battery powered tool of choice?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milwaukee

47 42.34%
  • Ryobi

11 9.91%
  • Hilti

0 0%
  • DeWalt

38 34.23%
  • Rigid

3 2.70%
  • Bosch

5 4.50%
  • Harbor Freight

0 0%
  • Something else (name it)

7 6.31%
Page 11 of 24 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: The great PF cordless tool debate

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    I don't have any experience with either of your current tools. But I do like the M18 line. Here's a little bit from my experiences with their impacts.

-The high-torque 1/2" gun is really powerful, lasts in pretty tough environments, and is also pretty dang heavy for stuff not requiring that amount of torque.

-I like the small 1/2" gun, P/N 2755, for fasteners that are 1/2" thread diameter or smaller. It'll do 5/8" thread, but barely. Despite what the torque ratings are.

-Drive adapters REALLY reduce torque, I think even more than on air tools. One of my customers has the P/N 2867 1" drive impact which is rated for 1800 ft-lbs in reverse. And yeah, it has good power with 1" drive sockets. In comparison, I have one of the original M18 FUEL P/N 2764 3/4" impacts which was rated at 1200 in reverse. If I put a 3/4" socket adapter on his 1" gun, and try to keep up with my 3/4" gun, it can't do it. Which tells me that an adapter rattling in between the gun and the socket absorbs more than 1/3 of the gun's torque output.

-Same thing with nylock nuts - the nylon locking material aborbs a lot of the impact force. My small 1/2" gun won't reliably loosen a 5/8" locknut although it'll take regular 5/8" nuts off all day long.

-There's no comparison in battery life and output power between standard M18 and M18 FUEL. Most people already know this, including you. Brushless tech is the real deal.
    I reread this last night, everything went hazy, and I bought a 3/8 stubby M12 impact driver I had been using my M12 with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. We shall see how it runs.
    #RESIST

I would actually prefer that Milwaukee would make an M18 inflator. The only M12 thing I have is the inflator. Oh and a heavy-duty looking M12 Fuel 1/2" drive ratchet whose performance is totally underwhelming....200 ft-lbs give me a break LOL. So underwhelming that I don't even see it listed in their catalog anymore, and the one I bought was listed as rebuilt. So yeah, give me an M18 inflator so I can sell this M12 to somebody who has a use for the M12 system.
    All of the sudden I found out about electric ratchets and I want one. Since I have a 20v Dewalt kit, its easy just to get their ratchet as well.

That Milwaukee Ratchet actually reviews at the top, so I am surprised you don't like it. As a kid I always used Makita tools but as an adult there has been only a Lowes close by. So yeah, Dewalt is what I bought. I am thinking of branching out and trying the Makita Ratchet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3...1SR1/316321063

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    All of the sudden I found out about electric ratchets and I want one. Since I have a 20v Dewalt kit, its easy just to get their ratchet as well.

That Milwaukee Ratchet actually reviews at the top, so I am surprised you don't like it. As a kid I always used Makita tools but as an adult there has been only a Lowes close by. So yeah, Dewalt is what I bought. I am thinking of branching out and trying the Makita Ratchet.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-3...1SR1/316321063
    I think what I was calling an M12 1/2" ratchet is not listed on Milwaukee's website as a ratchet. I went looking for it and assumed it was out of production because it wasn't under the ratchets. I looked for it again and finally found it; they're calling it a right angle impact wrench and saying it has 220 ft-lbs of torque in reverse. It's P/N 2565. The one I have was bought as a reconditioned tool which means it should be as good as new....but regardless of the torque setting it wouldn't pull a 100 ft-lb crank pulley bolt on a Subaru EJ25 engine, which is the one job I bought it for. I finagled the radiator out of the way and pulled the same bolt with my old M18 small 1/2" impact gun which I mentioned in the above post. That M18 impact gun is also listed at 220 ft-lbs of torque.

And despite that Milwaukee is calling it a right-angle impact wrench, it's just a cordless ratchet with a big head on it. The head is too big to get in some of the places you can get an air ratchet into though, enough that it's not useful for pulling at least some brake caliper bolts, for example.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I reread this last night, everything went hazy, and I bought a 3/8 stubby M12 impact driver I had been using my M12 with 1/4 to 3/8 adapter. We shall see how it runs.
    If everything I've learned about accessories like adapters soaking up torque holds true in your case, I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I don't own a 3/8" impact at all; my small 1/2" gun on it's lowest-torque setting seems to work good for 1/4" bolts which are as small as I go. And then I've got a 1/4" impact driver for the teensy stuff like self-tappers.

Basically anything you put between the socket and the gun absorbs torque. Not just adapters; extensions and universal joints will do the same thing by introducing slop into a system that's depending on a pretty lightweight hammer to do the work.

Ridgid Brad nailer is out.

I used to agree on the standing up the tool thing but I’ve adopted a practice of not standing tools up and always laying them down after dropping a few and either having them land on me or breaking the tool or a bit when it lands.

[HR]
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Lowes has the Craftsman 20v Electric Ratchet for $79 but with a "free gift" that is a battery and charger ($99 value man!). So its basically a whole electric ratchet kit for $79.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-2...nch/1003014338

Not a top tier tool but at this price its the same as the no-name Chinese brands on Amazon.

18v Makita kit is $229, 12v Makita kit is $189. Milwaukee is $179 for their cheapest M12 kit. You get what you pay for etc. I am tempted by $79, especially for some upcoming jobs on the truck.

Yesterday, I confirmed that a 3/8 stubby M12 impact could handle the factory spec 150lbs lug nuts on my F150. I was pretty damn impressed. Only the 4.0 and 6.0 batteries.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    Yesterday, I confirmed that a 3/8 stubby M12 impact could handle the factory spec 150lbs lug nuts on my F150. I was pretty damn impressed. Only the 4.0 and 6.0 batteries.
    Dang, that's all the torque that my old F350 lug nuts get. Are you putting the wheels back on with a torque wrench or a torque stick?

Dang, that's all the torque that my old F350 lug nuts get. Are you putting the wheels back on with a torque wrench or a torque stick?
    Torque stick, I’m not that dumb
    #RESIST

Scored a lightly used M12 inflator for $60 shipped. What are the other M12 favorites?
    #RESIST

User Tag List