View Poll Results: Cordless battery powered tool of choice?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milwaukee

47 42.34%
  • Ryobi

11 9.91%
  • Hilti

0 0%
  • DeWalt

38 34.23%
  • Rigid

3 2.70%
  • Bosch

5 4.50%
  • Harbor Freight

0 0%
  • Something else (name it)

7 6.31%
Page 6 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The great PF cordless tool debate

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    Im wondering if that might be a rebranded Panasonic EY 7412. I know at one time they were rebranding for Milwaukee.

https://www.panasonic-powertools.eu/...ver-ey7412.htm
    I'm not sure; It kinda looks different at the battery end? Tell ya what though, it has become one of my favorite desktop tools I always have in reach, just about equal in status to my Craftsman needle nose pliers I saved up for probably 50 years ago and bought for cash at the Sears in Landmark Shopping Plaza in Alexandria Virginia.

Name:  IMG_8369.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  35.9 KB

I use Dewalt 20V brushless at home

I work for a local municipality doing repair work. Mostly carpentry (as a sort of apprentice like position). It's all Dewalt and we use them a lot. The interchangable batteries are a huge asset. At work it's the brushless XR series at home the brushless non XR. But the difference there seems to be pretty negligible.

I wouldn't pick Dewalt (or cordless im general) for a circular saw.

What do I own (Milwaukee), or what would I buy if starting from scratch (Ridgid), or what would I suggest for most other people (Ryobi)?

some thoughts on the current state of things, since I see this thread is a necro/updated of a sort...

I currently have M12 and M18 Milwaukee tools. A fair number of them, in fact. Those that say the M12 will do everything the M18 will are flat wrong. YOU may not have hit the wall with the M12 yet, but there is one, and the M18 will break through said wall. One way to move this wall is to use the bigger M12 batteries.

The M18 battery to have is the CP3.0 for the smaller tools and the XC5.0 for larger tools or longer between charges and the HD9.0 for even more powerful tools (lawn tools, in particular).

Get the rapid charger. It makes a difference.

18 Volt Milwaukee or anyone else is functionally the same as 20 volt Dewalt or anyone else.

if the last time you had a cordless tool was a nicad, you have no idea what a cordless tool can do.

Build a tool wall, if you have the room, so that your tools are grab-n-go. Life changing.

While I tend to recommend Ryobi for most homeowners these days, the fact is that they aren't likely to survive the same kinds of drops etc. For me, I'm paying for the likelihood that on that one day a month I get the time to reach for the tool, it works. However, I think that Ridgid is a good compromise between the two.

IMO Dewalt has the edge slightly if you're interested in higher-power tools because their 20V batteries will work with their 60v (IIRC) tools.

Standardizing on one, max two (M18 and M12 wind up being two, albeit with one shared charger) battery types is also game-changing IMO.
    Last edited by rob_s; 03-01-2021 at 04:41 PM.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    I'm not sure; It kinda looks different at the battery end? Tell ya what though, it has become one of my favorite desktop tools I always have in reach, just about equal in status to my Craftsman needle nose pliers I saved up for probably 50 years ago and bought for cash at the Sears in Landmark Shopping Plaza in Alexandria Virginia.

Name:  IMG_8369.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  35.9 KB
    Panasonic used to make electric screwdrivers for Milwaukee and they didnt look exactly the same either. I cannot find a hybro site anywhere although I did find them for sale in Korea for $24.99 aprox.
    That looks like a dandy tool. If I was still in the trades Id probably get one.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Milwaukee all the way. My dad and uncles have been contractors for about 40 years. They have tried it all, and have consistently replaced their other brand tools with Milwaukee and have been Milwaukee fans ever since. It's rare to see them use anything but Milwaukee. So, that's all I buy.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I am also a M12/M18 user, strictly a hobbyist / handyman with this equipment. I think Ryobi is made by Milwaukee but with different batteries and a slightly different selection / build quality of tools.

The major brands all have a broad range of tools, batteries, chargers, etc. but different brands introduce things at different times - I am waiting for the Milwaukee lawn mower which DeWalt, Makita and maybe Ridgid already have.

Agreed with rob_s regarding battery platforms, the M12/M18 with the shared charger seems like a good compromise allowing both small/light and large/heavy for different tasks.

Sometimes (Father's Day is one of them) the box stores have excellent bundles, usually drill + driver + charger + batteries, sometimes more and these can be a great way to get started.

My old Makita cordless drill felt like a tool. Substantial and tough. The batteries died and replacement batteries are a ripoff.

Now I have a Dewalt 20v and it has lots of torque and the batteries seem solid but the drill itself feels like a toy.

I guess it doesn’t make sense to overbuild the tool when the batteries are what’s going to die anyway....
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    My old Makita cordless drill felt like a tool. Substantial and tough. The batteries died and replacement batteries are a ripoff.
    Way back in the 1980s, I bought my dad a Makita cordless drill. It was when cordless tools were first coming out, and it cost a small fortune when I was a poor grad student, but he loved his tools and I wanted to get him something nice.

I was a Makita user after that for a long time. I kept upgrading when new systems came out, until 8 years ago when yet another Makita battery died after a short life. According to the internet, it was a common problem. As you noted, a replacement battery was freakishly expensive, so I dumped all my Makita gear and bought a big 20V DeWalt kit, and have been happy ever since.

Site Supporter
    Batteries and how they are built maintained et cetera are going to be the life blood of cordless tools. I’d rather have a cord to deal with personally. Everybody’s gonna get a bad batch of batteries eventually

Quote Originally Posted by Cory View Post
    I wouldn't pick Dewalt (or cordless im general) for a circular saw.
    You should try one. We have sold a dozen Milwaukee 2830's to our contractor customers, and I have one myself. It will, no shit, keep up with a Skil Worm Drive without the hassle of cord on a ladder or roof. Yes, there are limitations in having a battery tool, but power and speed on this one is not one of those limitations. The pro-level DeWalt saw is reported be just as good.

Tools we now consider as good as corded or air versions in our shop are 4 1/2" grinders, sawzalls, 1/2" impacts, and grease guns.

User Tag List