View Poll Results: Cordless battery powered tool of choice?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milwaukee

47 42.34%
  • Ryobi

11 9.91%
  • Hilti

0 0%
  • DeWalt

38 34.23%
  • Rigid

3 2.70%
  • Bosch

5 4.50%
  • Harbor Freight

0 0%
  • Something else (name it)

7 6.31%
Page 17 of 24 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: The great PF cordless tool debate

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’d never heard of Metabo until this afternoon when I was in Lowe’s looking at air compressors. It’s probably a much better brand than I need for casual home use.
    Metabo is Hitachi. They re-named their line for whatever reason. Hitachi makes some very good air nailers and decent air compressors. We sell the snot out of their framing guns and rent them as well.

https://www.metabo-hpt.com/us/main-navigation/our-story

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Metabo is Hitachi. They re-named their line for whatever reason. Hitachi makes some very good air nailers and decent air compressors. We sell the snot out of their framing guns and rent them as well.

It is now. Metabo, used to be in the range of Hilti or Festool; lower end commercial, to higher end, end user. Now, Hitachi bought Metabo, and rebranded several of their items, as Metabo.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    OH! I almost forgot! I don't think it's been mentioned here yet.

I was at the beach of all places and I saw a new Milwaukee "tool:" an M18 battery adapter that converts battery juice to 120V AC for running low-load stuff like fans (that's what it was doing when I saw it) or electronics like TV's or computers, plus it has USB ports for charging cell phones and such. Pretty handy device for some people, I'd imagine. The lady using it said it would run her 20" box fan for about 3 hours on a 12.0Ah battery.
    I’ve been using one of those for a few weeks, love it.

https://www.amazon.com/2846-50-18-Vo...6265145&sr=8-8
    #RESIST

Over the top, spends way too much time dragging things out (thank god for 1.25x), but...

I totally agree with him re: maxing out AH for each size, and quality of cells being the differentiator, but he goes into more detail re: the High Output line and "Fuel" tools.

I don't necessarily agree with his preference for the 6.0 vs 5.0 just because the 6.0 is bigger/heavier. But I get what he's saying about the cost and generation.

CP 3.0
    XC 6.0
    XC 8.0
    XC 12.0 HD

Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ View Post
    bought for cash at the Sears in Landmark Shopping Plaza in Alexandria Virginia.

Attachment 68215
    I used to live across from that place. it was circling the drain 10 years ago, not sure when it finally died.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever. -George Orwell

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"

There are some good deals here if you like Hitachi/Metabo.

https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-reconditioned-tools.html
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    I’d never heard of Metabo until this afternoon when I was in Lowe’s looking at air compressors. It’s probably a much better brand than I need for casual home use.
    Metabo is Hitachi. They re-named their line for whatever reason. Hitachi makes some very good air nailers and decent air compressors.
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    There are some good deals here if you like Hitachi/Metabo.

https://bigskytool.com/hitachi-reconditioned-tools.html
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think y'all are confusing Metabo and Metabo HPT. While the German Metabo company was indeed bought out by Hitachi, my understanding is that the "Metabo" tools you're seeing in the big box stores are Metabo HPT and are in fact Hitachi-designed and -built tools. I don't believe that the original German Metabo line is being sold in the big boxes and I don't believe that any Hitachis have been renamed as "Metabo" without the "HPT."

IOW, if it says "Metabo HPT," it's Hitachi. If it says Metabo, it's the real deal. Confusing, I know. Probably the same guy came up with that who came up with the Beretta 90-TWO.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    You're wrong. I couldn't be confusing them, because I didn't know Metabo Germany was a thing. First I saw the name was when it was applied to Hitachis.

So is there a parallel existence, where the German company carries on doing German stuff in Germany for the EU market, while being owned by Hitachi and having its name applied in a sort of licensing agreement to the parent company in the rest of the world to essentially the same Hitachi tools that used to be Hitachis?
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

I’d like to see an M18 Fuel pressure washer.
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    You're wrong. I couldn't be confusing them, because I didn't know Metabo Germany was a thing. First I saw the name was when it was applied to Hitachis.

So is there a parallel existence, where the German company carries on doing German stuff in Germany for the EU market, while being owned by Hitachi and having its name applied in a sort of licensing agreement to the parent company in the rest of the world to essentially the same Hitachi tools that used to be Hitachis?
    As I understand it, Metabo HPT is a name that Hitachi came up with in order to sell Hitachi-designed tools under a name that sounds confusingly like they're the original Metabo tools.

There's no such thing as "Metabo Germany." I'm using that as shorthand for Metabo tools that were originally German designed and produced. Which are still produced in Germany and now in China as well.

My understanding is that yes, indeed, Metabo is allowed to operate and still sell it's original tools under the Metabo name. Not only in the EU but also right here. They are for sale today in my LWS (local welding supplier) as Metabo. There is no HPT in their name because there's nothing Hitachi about their design.

You won't find Metabo HPT tools sold in a welding shop. Metabo was very focused on the welding and metal fabrication trade before being bought out by Hitachi, which is likely why you hadn't heard of them before Hitachi took them over. I and guys like me have been using Metabo tools for decades.

I'm unsure about what exactly you're referring to when you say that I'm wrong, so hopefully some of this catch-all will help clear up whatever our misunderstanding is.

User Tag List