View Poll Results: Cordless battery powered tool of choice?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Milwaukee

47 42.34%
  • Ryobi

11 9.91%
  • Hilti

0 0%
  • DeWalt

38 34.23%
  • Rigid

3 2.70%
  • Bosch

5 4.50%
  • Harbor Freight

0 0%
  • Something else (name it)

7 6.31%
Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The great PF cordless tool debate

The great PF cordless tool debate

Because it’s Sunday, it’s boiling hot outside, and I wish that my Ryobi stuff would die so that I could buy Milwaukee.
    #RESIST

Admittedly I'm not a pro or high end user...that said, I've gotten tremendous value out of the Black & Decker 20v system.

I use it on everything from cordless vacs and blowers to impact drivers, drills, lantern, hedge trimmer, string trimmer, reciprocating saw, circular saw and more.

Have only had to replace one device, (a blower), under warranty which they replaced within seven days on their dime both ways. Great customer service.

Have not had one battery fail in years of service with a rapid charger.

I use at least some of this equipment multiple times daily and it has been nothing less than stalwart.
    Last edited by blues; 07-21-2019 at 10:22 AM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Based on my knowing several pro users, Milwaukee appears to be the professional choice. I’m nursing along some Makita batteries as I have a drill, impact and circular saw but in the near future will have to update.

Now for the bigger argument: do the big box chains get lesser quality versions of the same tools?

I am another B&D 20V fan. It is obviously not Milwaukee or Makita, but I think it has strong value. I expected to kill the impact driver last year and it is still rocking.

Since they are a bunch cheaper and I ended up with a couple tools that I would not have spent Milwaukee money on, the reciprocating saw and the circular saw. I bought the circular saw because I thought it was cheap and cute, but figured it would be lame. With a carbide blade it is definitely NOT lame, and I just got great use out of it on the Extream Makeover Reloading Bench Edition project.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

When I was looking for a cordless drill for around the house use, I asked a friend who in turn talked to another guy who does handyman work...he recommended Milwaukee, so I went with that.

I bought a Makita cordless drill for my father way back in the 80s as a Father's Day gift. It was expensive, but I wanted to get him something special. When it came time to buy one for myself, I bought a Makita, and several subsequent generations as they increased voltage and evolved from NiCd to Li batteries. However, the last Makita I bought was junk, and so I switched to DeWalt 20V.

Everyone should be familiar with the youtube Channel AvE.
    He disassembles tools and comments on their build quality.
    He works in the mining industry in the Canadian wilderness
    so he knows something about tools. He has an amusing
    presentation style.

https://www.youtube.com/user/arduinoversusevil/videos

Name:  AvE.jpg
Views: 1271
Size:  17.1 KB
    Last edited by nycnoob; 07-21-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    "To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

"To achieve any significant technological breakthrough, much Derp must be endured." -Rich@CCC
    "Your shotgun is running a bit frenetic, you should add some lavender to your lubricant, that should calm it down." -Aray, Oils and Lotions SME

For years I made due with mostly corded power tools, and corded/gas on lawn tools. I had one cordless hammer drill, a Dewalt with a Ni-Cad battery, that was a "hand me down" from a relative. When I moved recently I decided to "cut the cord," on lawn tools and my hand tools.

I went with Ryobi for the following reasons:
    1. I'm not a pro using them all day five days a week, I'm an average DIY user, placing moderate demands on the tools. While some brands might be capable of taking more use/abuse, I won't be be dishing out enough abuse to justify the additional cost. Some tool buyers are like gun buyers, purchasing for a theoretical limit they will never approach, or buying features only a "pro" needs. For 99% of tool buyers getting "pro grade" tools, are like AR buyers insisting on CHF barrels. They won't ever come close to needing the "better" version, or buying earpro that is based on comms and a helmet, when they could get better protection at a lower price.
    2. I now live 20 minutes away from my closest friend in the world, and he has Ryobi tools. We can share stuff, or if we do a big project together, all our batteries can be shared.
    3. The sales H-D runs, including the recent "Ryobi Days" made it very inexpensive to get started.
    4. I now live fairly close to a Direct Tools Outlet, so I can get factory blemished tools, that still have the full warranty, at super low prices. I got the battery "Super Charger" with two batteries for $75, normally $160 at H-D. I got the heat gun for $47, when it's normally $100 at H-D.
    5. Ryobi offers a huge variety of tools, that I couldn't find easily, or at a decent price, in other brands. For example, the cordless heat gun.

Items 1, 3 & 4, on my list are why I went with the 40v Ryobi lawn tools. My friend doesn't do his own yard work, so tool sharing wasn't a factor.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    I voted Milwaukee as that is what I tend to buy, but Bosch makes good stuff too.

User Tag List