Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gun storage while camping

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You sleep on top of your car?
    We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

I camp in a hammock, and gun on runs the risk of tearing the fabric. Holster comes off and goes with the wallet, and such in the hammock but certainly not on me. No kids or way of others accessing the hammock without me being very aware.
    Last edited by TheRoland; 07-21-2019 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    I'm not shocked people are sleeping with their guns. I'm shocked how many people are sleeping clothed.
    Indeed. I could never do that. Different strokes. Obviously Flori-duh ain't AK. Heck on various camping trips over the years I have been known to skip a bag altogether.

*sigh*. But my camping days are over, so I'm done in the thread. These days, my wife's idea of roughing it is a cold sandwich from Room Service.

Sometimes I need to bundle up more.

I spent 3 night bear hunting 2 years ago in 10 degree nights and 15 degree days with a 30 degree bag.

But yeah. I sleep with my gun on.

I don't sleep in a tent, sometimes under a tarp and twice my old hound woke me up by tensing up because of bears within a few feet of my feet. He made sure I was awake before he chased it. Nothing like falling back to sleep with a walker baying through the mountains.
    Last edited by 03RN; 07-21-2019 at 01:02 PM.

OP, if you are car camping and therefore weight isn't much of an issue, what do you store the gun in at home? Do you have a little lockbox? Is the child old enough to know not to touch the gun without you?
    I use a lockbox that’s big, securely mounted, and hard to reach. I also have a NanoVault that I use for air travel.

I sleep in a tent with a Glock 19 and a 5 year old.

The Glock 19 is in a Safariland ALS holster, condition 2. If I hand the unloaded gun in the holster to your average adult, they can't figure out how to get it out, but the gun and the kid are never left alone together.
    I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    I use a lockbox that’s big, securely mounted, and hard to reach. I also have a NanoVault that I use for air travel.
    Why not use the nanovault?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRoland View Post
    I camp in a hammock, and gun on runs the risk of tearing the fabric. Holster comes off and goes with the wallet, and such in the hammock but certainly not on me. No kids or way of others accessing the hammock without me being very aware.
    When I’m hammock camping, I sleep with my Hillpeople Gear Kit Bag on with pistol inside

I generally keep a long gun w/light in the tent, on safe, loaded/chambered, but in an unzipped padded case near where my right hand/arm naturally would fall next to my sleeping bag. My pistol is usually holstered with my pants nearby as well. My kids are not "old" but they are old enough to know to not touch/play with/investigate my firearms ( and I have brought them up knowing guns, and so have removed most of the mystique).. and the guns don't come out/off my hip until I am in bed. During the daytime, guns go back on my hip, or back into the truck.

I don't worry about them playing with them in the middle of the night. I don't want to be trying to unlock a safe, gun lock, or hard case in the dark while a bear ( or whatever) is attacking my family.

If I was in grizz country, or a place where there was known risk, I'd consider a pistol with a lanyard loop, and/or sleeping with the gun on/holstered.

Why not use the nanovault?
    It’s an option but not a quickly accessible one due to the key lock. I was curious how others handle these circumstances.

User Tag List