Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun storage while camping

In all my years backpacking and climbing from the northeast to AK to Canada, I've only seen a bear enter a tent while occupied once. (In Algonquin Park on a canoe trip a few decades ago. I had to paddle over and rescue the newlyweds.)

I've seen them in camp many times, and the results of encounters where blood was drawn only two or three in hundreds of nights spent in the outdoors...from primitive and wild to less so.

Point being that with a little bit of care and forethought, it's not a daily occurrence.

Two legged critters is a different ballgame. Not everyday, but something certainly to be mindful of.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sleep with the gun on.
    This is the answer. It isn’t that big of a deal.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Going on a little overnight trip soon - car camping with a kid, not backpacking. I’d be interested to hear what you all do to secure pistols in a tent at night.
    Just to over emphasize what has been emphasized already: keep the gun on your person. Especially with a child near by. It is tempting to set it aside and forget about it.

Hammertime
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    For almost twenty years, since going to Alaska, my wife and I have been sleeping wearing a handgun, while out in a tent. When a bear or other intruder comes through your tent in the middle of the night, that is not the time to be wondering if you put your gun in your boot, beside you or whatever. I don’t even notice the handgun while sleeping anymore.

https://www.akfatal.net/Huffman%2006-25-05.htm
    https://youtu.be/akSjCFfKAMo

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    We use a rooftop car tent.
    Very interested,please expand. Brand, pros, cons, vehicle. Separate thread if you’re drift averse.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Site Supporter
    I've never been camping with kids, but typically I sleep with the pistol in the holster right next to my head. Sometimes that means in an unzipped kit bag; other times it means in my AIWB holster. Either way, the night sights are visible from my sleeping position. Neither is a good option if you have little kids on the loose. The last time I was out, I was hammock camping, and I slept with the gun on my person in my regular AIWB carry position. That arrangement worked very well. If you're going to keep the gun in a holster beside you, consider something along the lines of a Safariland 7377, as drawing one handed from this holster while it is unsecured is easier than drawing one handed from any of the kydex holsters I have experience with.

Kids will explore everything in and out of reach. Especially when you’re asleep. No way would I leave a loaded firearm accessible in a tent with a small child.

I’d go with a lock box or on your body (assuming you can’t be disarmed by the kid in your sleep).

My kids are well trained and grown now, so I don’t have that problem anymore. I don’t sleep with a holster, but always put my gun in the same place next to me. And this is one more reason I like tritium night sights.
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie
    Shabbat shalom, motherf***ers! --Mordechai Jefferson Carver

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    Tenting is one time I really like my Vertx sling bag. We use a rooftop car tent, and the Vertx wedges nicely along the inside edge, right next to me, with the zipper pull partially open where my right hand naturally falls on it. That set up affords me access to a reasonably large handgun, almost instantly. Caveats: no kids, 7 feet off the ground, not Alaska. OMMV.
    You sleep on top of your car?

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    You sleep on top of your car?

I've never done it but look at the images in this link.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Read: Harrison Bergeron

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    I'm not shocked people are sleeping with their guns. I'm shocked how many people are sleeping clothed.

OP, if you are car camping and therefore weight isn't much of an issue, what do you store the gun in at home? Do you have a little lockbox? Is the child old enough to know not to touch the gun without you?
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

User Tag List