Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun storage while camping

Gun storage while camping

Going on a little overnight trip soon - car camping with a kid, not backpacking. I’d be interested to hear what you all do to secure pistols in a tent at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Gun Nerd View Post
    Going on a little overnight trip soon - car camping with a kid, not backpacking. I’d be interested to hear what you all do to secure pistols in a tent at night.
    Sleep with the gun on.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Sleep with the gun on.
    ...or at the very least in your summer weight sleeping bag, bivvy sack, mummy roll, whatever. It must be within your control if it can't properly be locked up.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

One of these locks w/ only one of the numbers off by 1-2 digits
    https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-C...16096458&psc=1

I agree with sleeping with the gun. But not strapped to my body. I'm thinking that would be uncomfortable. Depending on what you are sleeping on, pad & sleeping bag or cot with bag or blankets. In bag I would keep it on the side of the bag. On the cot with blankets and bag. And most likely a pillow, under the pillow.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Huh.

Good question.

I would be tempted to put gun in holster in my boots, just inside the tent flap. I do that with my glasses. Point being I'm blind without em, and the first thing I do on waking in a tent is look for my glasses. Then I want my boots on. I generally have gym shorts at least so if I need to go water a rock at 2am I'm gtg.

Second would be in the tent hammock. I tend to like glow-in-the-dark stuff (see above) so I would put gun in holster near my GITD flashlight and eye glasses case.

Yeah I dunno about sleeping with it on. Can't see how that would be comfortable on just a Big Agnes pad or Thermarest in a sleeping bag.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-21-2019 at 08:56 AM.

For almost twenty years, since going to Alaska, my wife and I have been sleeping wearing a handgun, while out in a tent. When a bear or other intruder comes through your tent in the middle of the night, that is not the time to be wondering if you put your gun in your boot, beside you or whatever. I don’t even notice the handgun while sleeping anymore.

https://www.akfatal.net/Huffman%2006-25-05.htm
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Banned
    When I was in the Army we were required to sleep with our M16s in our sleeping bags with us, you get used to it. I doubt I'd even notice a Handgun.

Pistol is secured in its holster, on me. It doesn't take much imagination to realize that a pocket knife can open a tent real quick. Can't imagine how fast a bear could open one up.

I carry in my normal AIWB position, typically sleep on my side, and will buch up the bag or blanket to support the weighted gun if need be. For whatever reason switching to SH OWB does not work for me while camping. I also clip a Streamlight Microstream on the neckline of my shirt or jacket.
    Taking a break from social media.

Tenting is one time I really like my Vertx sling bag. We use a rooftop car tent, and the Vertx wedges nicely along the inside edge, right next to me, with the zipper pull partially open where my right hand naturally falls on it. That set up affords me access to a reasonably large handgun, almost instantly. Caveats: no kids, 7 feet off the ground, not Alaska. OMMV.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List