Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Small engine design rant!

Small engine design rant!

Why can't they make oil changes simple? My snow blower (which I sold when we moved), and now my riding mower, had the drain port/plug situated in places where it was impossible to drain the oil without making a mess. Space is so tight, You can't even get something in to divert the oil away from the rest of the machine.

So for both I ended up getting a Drainz-It hose: https://www.amazon.com/Drainzit-Oil-...gateway&sr=8-1

That makes the oil changes hassle/mess free, but the first change, so it can be installed, results in oil getting all over the machine and the ground. I understand the desire to keep costs low, by the manufacturer, but adding an extension, whether a hard pipe, or a hose like the Drainz It, would be a y small cost. Not having that installed from the factory meant I spent a ton of time cleaning up spilled oil, and then the space to install the plug was so tight it was a royal PITA putting on the hose. Same situation with my old snow blower.

My push mower is even worse as there is no drain. You have to flip the mower over to drain oil from the fill port!
    Last edited by DMF13; 07-20-2019 at 06:13 PM.

You can vaccum it out 😎

Warm up the engine a little to thin the oil. Makes it easier.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

No shit, my lawn mower doesn’t even have a drain plug. You have to turn it upside down to empty the oil.

I never thought I’d have to make sure an engine had a drain plug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you have enough yard you need a power mower (as opposed to a reel-type or even a weed-eater), but not enough that you need a riding mower, wouldn't an electric mower make more sense? Seriously, an electric mower and two or three batteries costs slightly more than a gas mower. It's also so much quieter, smells better, and will never require an oil change. My mother uses an electric, rechargeable, lawn mower. She got a matching weed-eater. It can even hang on the wall in the garage, because the electric motor doesn't care of it's turned sideways or upside down or whatever.

I have 2/3 of an acre, and just got a rider, which I added the Drainz It to this afternoon. I use a "hand me down" push mower, that is 25+ years old, and apparently indestructible, for doing the spots not easily mowed with the rider. If that old push mower ever dies I'll replace it with something like this: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...hless-mower-v2

I actually looked at getting an electric rider. Unfortunately, none of the current ones are set up for conveniently removing the batteries for charging. I store my lawn tools in a shed at the back corner of my lot, and I'm not going to run electricity all the way out there any time soon (probably ever).

6 years without an oil change on my cheap ass $199 Poulan lawn mower. I discovered the first year that I'd have to flip it over to change the oil. I said 'F it and see how long it lasts without a change. I added a half quart yesterday and it's still going. I do 11,000 sqft with it three times a week. I'll just get a new one when it dies. I'm a Stihl dealer and I'll likely replace it with a battery mower next. We have a battery trimmer and it kicks ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch View Post
    No shit, my lawn mower doesn’t even have a drain plug. You have to turn it upside down to empty the oil.

I never thought I’d have to make sure an engine had a drain plug.

I actually gave up on changing the oil in my push mower. Now if it's a little low I just add a little 5W-30 synthetic. The last full oil change was over 8 years ago with conventional SAE30. It doesn't really burn oil so it's still running mostly on that ancient SAE30. The darn thing just won't die.

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I have 2/3 of an acre, and just got a rider, which I added the Drainz It to this afternoon. I use a "hand me down" push mower, that is 25+ years old, and apparently indestructible, for doing the spots not easily mowed with the rider. If that old push mower ever dies I'll replace it with something like this: https://www.ryobitools.com/products/...hless-mower-v2

I actually looked at getting an electric rider. Unfortunately, none of the current ones are set up for conveniently removing the batteries for charging. I store my lawn tools in a shed at the back corner of my lot, and I'm not going to run electricity all the way out there any time soon (probably ever).
    A gas riding I totally get. The electric ones being plug-in as opposed to hot swappable makes them a hard sell in many places.

The Ryobi you linked is a lot like the one my mother uses. I think her’s might be a 24v? I dunno. I haven’t looked at it close enough to notice. My preference for mowing lawns is, “Pay someone else to do it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DMF13 View Post
    I actually gave up on changing the oil in my push mower. Now if it's a little low I just add a little 5W-30 synthetic. The last full oil change was over 8 years ago with conventional SAE30. It doesn't really burn oil so it's still running mostly on that ancient SAE30. The darn thing just won't die.
    Last oil change I did was when it blew a head gasket last year. That’s probably the last one I’ll do. I don’t even check the oil often in the fucking thing any more to be honest. It and the craftsman snow blower I bought have been the two biggest pieces of shit I’ve ever owned.

When it does I probably will go the electric route. I replaced my gas string trimmer with an electric one that’s basically disposable and I’m much happier.

We live in the age of disposable products. Most people either don't know how or won't to change the oil. I'd wager this gets factored into the design so they can cut every penny from their manufacturing costs.

User Tag List