Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA/prac tac Revolver

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    My m66 held up to my sweat much better than my m19
    That’s why I took a 686 instead of a 27.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I've honestly never tried shimming anything other than S&W cranes. I really need to try it. Hmm... but I'll need a new revolver to try it out on.

Well, sacrifices need to be made, I'll start shopping.
    I didn’t go crazy because I wasn’t confident in polishing everything. But the shims for the hammer did center it better do it would stop rubbing the frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Quote Originally Posted by OlongJohnson View Post
    The first part of the job is to smooth all the surfaces that might be rubbed if the shim wasn't there. Then shim.

The GPMC was advertised as having shims on hammer and trigger. Mine only had them on one, I think the hammer. I figured out how to make my own shims. (It's not totally straightforward to drill a round hole in 0.002 inch thick brass; think it through and use a few decades of experience making things.) Now I put them in anything where I think they'll help. Taking the lateral rattle out of a trigger makes a surprising difference in how it feels, even apart from the friction reduction. I went and bought a shim making punch tool on fleabay to make better ones faster, but haven't gone through any new pistols since buying it.

Per Iowegan's advice, I try to leave ~0.002" clearance. Measure the clearance, subtract 0.002", divide by two and round down. K&S sells a kit with a reasonable amount of stock in several thicknesses.
    #258 .001,.002,.003 & .005 Shim

K & S PRECISION METALS 258 BRS
    I found the same thing on my GPMC, just one shim, and still plenty of lateral play in the hammer, and a whole lot in the DA sear or “dog” as they call.

I ordered a kit from here: https://www.triggershims.com

Honestly I'm quite lost at the shims discussion [emoji848][emoji3166][emoji854]

Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Now that I figured out all the model numbers I'm going to be looking out for a 67 and if I have no luck then a 64. I see the trade ins for $250 so I'll search around this weekend for a 67 first

Edit - my first pick is the 67 because of the rear sight. If the 64 is anything like the 442 then I want a rear sight.

If you have experience with both, do you prefer the rear sight on the 67 over the 64 rear sight?
    I will alway choose an adjustable sighted revolver over a fixed sight gun, for general or duty use. Other factors do play in, such as price, availability, or just a cool gun. Or a package, like the 642/442, where adjustable sights hinder the primary usage.

In your shoes, if money isn’t an issue, I’d get a model 67 or 15. Actually a recent production GP 100 is a great bet, too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirolynmonbro View Post
    Honestly I'm quite lost at the shims discussion [emoji848][emoji3166][emoji854]
    Really thin little washers that are used to center up the hammer to keep it from dragging on the frame. Current production GP100 MC are shimmed from the factory.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by john c View Post
    I will alway choose an adjustable sighted revolver over a fixed sight gun, for general or duty use.
    Same here, mostly for the better sight picture. FAR easier to get good hits when you're in a hurry.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Revolver division for your first USPSA match is a strong move. Hope you had fun despite the heat!
    I did. It was a lot of fun.
    I was the top female revolver shooter and the top senior revolver shooter. (Came in last, overall. )
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Same here, mostly for the better sight picture. FAR easier to get good hits when you're in a hurry.

Okie John
    One thing I like about the standard barrel is the much more visible front sight.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    One thing I like about the standard barrel is the much more visible front sight.
    Yup.

I've got a skinny barrel model 10 with an orange painted sight that is totally satisfactory.

User Tag List