Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA/prac tac Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Radar Love View Post
    I have a S&W Model 10 and a Ruger Security Six and have shot IDPA matches with both, lots of fun (and a good conversation starter...I'm usually the only revolver shooter) and definately recommend looking at police trade ins if you're looking for something fun and willing to do without features that newer models have. Something like this model 15: https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/...tails?id=53203
    My thoughts exactly. If you just want to dabble in revolver/IDPA shooting, visit your local pawn shop and find a good, used model 10.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete 10 View Post
    A 686 or 586 is prolly the best for action shooting. The S&W action makes it better for D/A actions shooting. I've never seen anyone shoot a Ruger revolver in an IDPA match, I suppose it would work if you can manage the Ruger trigger pull.
    Maybe I'm daft, but my GP100s trigger is really not bad

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Maybe I'm daft, but my GP100s trigger is really not bad

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk
    Mine wasn't either until I fell into a GP with a tuned trigger.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

A 686 or 586 is prolly the best for action shooting. The S&W action makes it better for D/A actions shooting. I've never seen anyone shoot a Ruger revolver in an IDPA match, I suppose it would work if you can manage the Ruger trigger pull.
    My experience is that today’s GP100 trigger is a lot better than 1995’s GP100 trigger. The Match Champion models are usually another step better.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Denny Reichard, who would have rather eaten glass then be caught carrying a Ruger, begrudgingly admitted my GP100WC had a good trigger. Probably not quite as light as you can go on a primer-sensitive game-gun only K-frame, but if you can't shoot it it's you.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

You could grab a $250 m64 and do nearly as well as anything else.

Ruger also offers GP100s in a 3 inch 6 shot with fixed sights, or a 2.5 inch 7 shot with adjustable sights. That 2.5 in 7 shooter really has my attention now.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You could grab a $250 m64 and do nearly as well as anything else.
    Either that or a Model 15 if one has to have adjustable sights. If you have a need for a field revolver with a bit more ooomph to it, then a 66 or a 686.

Whichever, a holster, a handful of speedloaders and some cheapish belt pockets for the loaders and you'll be good to go.

(Until you feel the need to go full gamer.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    If you are shooting for gun then a six round gun makes the reload timing a touch easier as many matches are 6 shot friendly. However, I will recommend that if the 442 is a serious carry gun - shoot it in a match! It will give you a feel for your performance, the problems of reloading under stress with a small capacity gun, etc.

I've been shooting my 642 in local matches lately. I shoot it decently. The reloads are getting smooth but clearly you are behind the curve as compared to a semi. It's basically a one opponent gun as many have said.

Shot a 6 round revolver today as I enjoy it and for practice with the platform if I do carry it. I have a fantasy of the government banning all semi handguns in a dystopian future.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    What little I do gives me the impression that the owners hope Colt will stop making them and they'll have another "collector's Colt"
    You could say that about any Colt, especially any Colt Revolver.

User Tag List