Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA/prac tac Revolver

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Either that or a Model 15 if one has to have adjustable sights. If you have a need for a field revolver with a bit more ooomph to it, then a 66 or a 686.

Whichever, a holster, a handful of speedloaders and some cheapish belt pockets for the loaders and you'll be good to go.

(Until you feel the need to go full gamer.)
    I'm okay with a trade in or pawn shop find. I'd like a model with adjustable sights.. or just something better than the kind that come in the j frames.

So far I've got model 66, model 15, and gp100 to shop for.

If I get a chance to play with a 686 SSR or gp100 match champion I might go with that, but I'll start with something a bit cheaper first

I once got beat at a steel Challenge match by a guy with a slicked up 686. He won match overall and I took 2nd place with a Glock 19 and that was during a time when I was on top of my game. 3rd place was way behind me. Really impressed me as I've never seen a revolver ran like that.

I don't have anything useful to add..

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    Denny Reichard, who would have rather eaten glass then be caught carrying a Ruger, begrudgingly admitted my GP100WC had a good trigger. Probably not quite as light as you can go on a primer-sensitive game-gun only K-frame, but if you can't shoot it it's you.
    My GPMC came back from having the trigger housing refitted feeling a bit gritty, so I had to detail strip it and get all the grit out. While I was in there, I did a little deburring and smoothing. Came out as nice as any S&W I've tried (among the nicer DA pulls on any gun I've tried and SA competitive with production 911s), but I've never tried an S&W that I knew had been worked on by a competent person.

For the OP's mission, I would actually find a M67. I've seen people over on Benos report that the two-piece barrels are actually more accurate than the older ones. Haunt LGS, gun shows, big box stores with stacks of inventory they'll let you pick through, etc. until you find a really good one. The newer production is subject to some really ugly variation, but apparently some good ones do get through. You just have to work for them. And accept the lock situation.

If the OP just wants a general purpose revolver and may shoot it in a match for funsies, the 67 is still a good route, but I'd probably go back to lurking on GB to snag a silly deal on a used 4-inch GP.
    Last edited by OlongJohnson; 07-21-2019 at 10:03 AM.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Strange you should mention it, we shot a Revolver Special match yesterday. It was the setup from the previous USPSA match but pared down to 13-18 shots per stage, in many cases by only scoring one hit per target. One shot stop, woo, woo.

Nobody was shooting a real hideout gun, I think my M67 and a Security Six were about the smallest. M686 was most common, a couple M625s but there was one guy with a tuned Taurus!

And oh, yeah, the Heavy Duty...

Quote Originally Posted by Dagga Boy View Post
    The 6.5” Pre War HD was a non catalog special order and I read a blurb that only 17 have been documented. You would have needed to know exactly what you wanted to get one. The action was fantastic as well.
    So now we know where another one is. I don't know if it is one of the 17 or an 18th, but there it was, a 6 1/2" HD from the 1930s, originally bought by the shooter's Grandpa for his LE duty gun.
    Last edited by Jim Watson; 07-21-2019 at 10:31 AM.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

GP & SP triggers can come out really slick in DA with a spring kit, some judicious polishing and deburring the trigger housing. Do be certain to remove the trigger return plunger & polish the tunnel a bit and reinstall with your choice of springs. I tend to end up with the medium weight for some reason. I do like a really positive trigger return and find the light trigger return spring to be a bit laggy I know Wilson spring kits are popular, but after trying a couple of them on S&W revolvers I went back to Wolff, and that's where I'm a gonna stay. I do wish the DA trigger travel were a bit shorter, but I can deal with this with proper grip selection.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    GP & SP triggers can come out really slick in DA with a spring kit, some judicious polishing and deburring the trigger housing. Do be certain to remove the trigger return plunger & polish the tunnel a bit and reinstall with your choice of springs. I tend to end up with the medium weight for some reason. I do like a really positive trigger return and find the light trigger return spring to be a bit laggy I know Wilson spring kits are popular, but after trying a couple of them on S&W revolvers I went back to Wolff, and that's where I'm a gonna stay. I do wish the DA trigger travel were a bit shorter, but I can deal with this with proper grip selection.
    This. Shims help the Rugers too. Especially around the hammer. The newer design triggers don’t need them.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I shot my first USPSA match with a 4” 686 and W-W White Box ammo. Holster was a leather belt job made by a friend.

Hot AF, heat index was at/over 100. I had six loaders on my belt and went through them all on two stages. I screwed up on a disappearing target and had to make two head shots.

I might get some Comp-2 loaders, as I managed to screw up twice with HKS, dumping rounds in the dirt.

Did I say it was hot AF? I drank four bottles of water. Whomever developed car A/C should have gotten a Nobel and the Medal of Freedom.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    You could grab a $250 m64 and do nearly as well as anything else.
    There ya go.

Now that I figured out all the model numbers I'm going to be looking out for a 67 and if I have no luck then a 64. I see the trade ins for $250 so I'll search around this weekend for a 67 first

Edit - my first pick is the 67 because of the rear sight. If the 64 is anything like the 442 then I want a rear sight.

If you have experience with both, do you prefer the rear sight on the 67 over the 64 rear sight?
    Last edited by Mirolynmonbro; 07-21-2019 at 04:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I shot my first USPSA match with a 4” 686 and W-W White Box ammo. Holster was a leather belt job made by a friend.

Hot AF, heat index was at/over 100. I had six loaders on my belt and went through them all on two stages. I screwed up on a disappearing target and had to make two head shots.

I might get some Comp-2 loaders, as I managed to screw up twice with HKS, dumping rounds in the dirt.

Did I say it was hot AF? I drank four bottles of water. Whomever developed car A/C should have gotten a Nobel and the Medal of Freedom.
    Where at? I love shooting in shit weather. Embrace the suck!

I was at my son's first birthday party sat.

My m66 held up to my sweat much better than my m19Name:  Resized_20190720_133731.jpg
Views: 359
Size:  51.9 KB

User Tag List