Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA/prac tac Revolver

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Where at? I love shooting in shit weather. Embrace the suck!
    Bradford, RI.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    I shot my first USPSA match with a 4” 686 and W-W White Box ammo. Holster was a leather belt job made by a friend.

Hot AF, heat index was at/over 100. I had six loaders on my belt and went through them all on two stages. I screwed up on a disappearing target and had to make two head shots.

I might get some Comp-2 loaders, as I managed to screw up twice with HKS, dumping rounds in the dirt.

Did I say it was hot AF? I drank four bottles of water. Whomever developed car A/C should have gotten a Nobel and the Medal of Freedom.
    Revolver division for your first USPSA match is a strong move. Hope you had fun despite the heat!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Bradford, RI.
    Awesome. That's where I typically shoot. It's a great bunch of guys.

I feel I've missed nearly every shoot this year. Im really going to try to go to the next one.

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    This. Shims help the Rugers too. Especially around the hammer. The newer design triggers don’t need them.
    I've honestly never tried shimming anything other than S&W cranes. I really need to try it. Hmm... but I'll need a new revolver to try it out on.

Well, sacrifices need to be made, I'll start shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by 03RN View Post
    Awesome. That's where I typically shoot. It's a great bunch of guys.

I feel I've missed nearly every shoot this year. I'm really going to try to go to the next one.
    PM me if you're going to make it. We can sign up for the same squad.

(I'm old, my knees suck, and I move slowly.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

I shot my first USPSA match with a 4” 686 and W-W White Box ammo. Holster was a leather belt job made by a friend.

Hot AF, heat index was at/over 100. I had six loaders on my belt and went through them all on two stages. I screwed up on a disappearing target and had to make two head shots.

I might get some Comp-2 loaders, as I managed to screw up twice with HKS, dumping rounds in the dirt.

Did I say it was hot AF? I drank four bottles of water. Whomever developed car A/C should have gotten a Nobel and the Medal of Freedom.
    And sainthood for whomever figured out how to make ice! My next purchase needs to be a coffin-sized Ice chest

PM me if you're going to make it. We can sign up for the same squad.

(I'm old, my knees suck, and I move slowly.)
    Deal.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    I've honestly never tried shimming anything other than S&W cranes. I really need to try it. Hmm... but I'll need a new revolver to try it out on.

Well, sacrifices need to be made, I'll start shopping.
    The first part of the job is to smooth all the surfaces that might be rubbed if the shim wasn't there. Then shim.

The GPMC was advertised as having shims on hammer and trigger. Mine only had them on one, I think the hammer. I figured out how to make my own shims. (It's not totally straightforward to drill a round hole in 0.002 inch thick brass; think it through and use a few decades of experience making things.) Now I put them in anything where I think they'll help. Taking the lateral rattle out of a trigger makes a surprising difference in how it feels, even apart from the friction reduction. I went and bought a shim making punch tool on fleabay to make better ones faster, but haven't gone through any new pistols since buying it.

Per Iowegan's advice, I try to leave ~0.002" clearance. Measure the clearance, subtract 0.002", divide by two and round down. K&S sells a kit with a reasonable amount of stock in several thicknesses.
    #258 .001,.002,.003 & .005 Shim

K & S PRECISION METALS 258 BRS
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

Quote Originally Posted by 358156hp View Post
    And sainthood for whomever figured out how to make ice! My next purchase needs to be a coffin-sized Ice chest
    That’d be the Persians, IIRC.

If I had brought an ice chest big enough to lie down in, either I could have made a mint or I would have had to shoot people.

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    Revolver division for your first USPSA match is a strong move. Hope you had fun despite the heat!
    I did. It was a lot of fun.

User Tag List