Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IDPA/prac tac Revolver

IDPA/prac tac Revolver

Hey dudes

Thinking about shooting a revolver in a "practical tactical" kind of match for funsies. I have a 442 but thinking I would have more fun with a 6 round gun. I'm not looking for a match gun, just something practical for carry with 6 rounds. Any suggestions?

While it's not exactly an airweight, the Colt Night Cobra might be something to consider. On sale for 499.99, with free shipping....

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=129486

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Reese View Post
    While it's not exactly an airweight, the Colt Night Cobra might be something to consider. On sale for 499.99, with free shipping....

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=129486

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
    Has anyone got serious time on one of these? They've been out a couple of years but I don't see much written about them. What little I do gives me the impression that the owners hope Colt will stop making them and they'll have another "collector's Colt"

Well the S&W 686 SSR and Ruger GP100 Match Champion were kinda created for exactly that role.

The Wiley Clapp or plain Jane GP100’s would work just fine too. So would a S&W 66 in 4.2” or 2.75” barrel length.
    Quote Originally Posted by caleb View Post
    Oh man, that's right. I forgot that some people feel like they need light SA triggers in DA guns instead of just learning to shoot the gun better. You can get a Redhawk DA trigger pull down to 10 lbs, and if you can't manage that you suck and should probably just practice more.
    *RS Regulate Affiliate*

Shooting from concealment? IWB or OWB? I grow fonder of my 4" GP100 with every range trip. A real pussycat when running .38 Specials...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by feudist View Post
    Has anyone got serious time on one of these? They've been out a couple of years but I don't see much written about them. What little I do gives me the impression that the owners hope Colt will stop making them and they'll have another "collector's Colt"
    I love mine. Not much to report, frankly-it’s a 6-shot revolver with great sights and a great trigger, and mine hasn’t broken anything yet, so all upside, in this day and age.

Craig/southnarc and Darryl/dagga boy have said positive things about their copies, too.
    ”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This is the way I'd go as well. Especially if you get into high round counts the S&Ws are way easier to keep in time and way more people know how to keep them running. I have lots of Rugers but haven't shot one out of time yet

Quote Originally Posted by Hizzie View Post
    Well the S&W 686 SSR and Ruger GP100 Match Champion were kinda created for exactly that role.

The Wiley Clapp or plain Jane GP100’s would work just fine too. So would a S&W 66 in 4.2” or 2.75” barrel length.

Site Supporter
    A six round Ruger GP100 is definitely a viable option. With the compact grips it's easily carried. The grip peg also helps if you're a fan of shooting full house magnums a lot. As a gun to shoot a lot of matches, you'll probably never shoot it out of time, and it's accurate.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

I have a S&W Model 10 and a Ruger Security Six and have shot IDPA matches with both, lots of fun (and a good conversation starter...I'm usually the only revolver shooter) and definately recommend looking at police trade ins if you're looking for something fun and willing to do without features that newer models have. Something like this model 15: https://www.kingsfirearmsonline.com/...tails?id=53203

A 686 or 586 is prolly the best for action shooting. The S&W action makes it better for D/A actions shooting. I've never seen anyone shoot a Ruger revolver in an IDPA match, I suppose it would work if you can manage the Ruger trigger pull.

User Tag List