Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I don't get it...

I don't get it...

"Tay-K 47" a young rap artist from the D/FW Metroplex was found guilty an hour ago for robbery and murder, he beat the capital murder charge. He faces 5-99 years in prison for that conviction. And then it's Bexar County's turn to prosecute him for a separate capital murder charge.

https://pitchfork.com/news/tay-k-fou...murder-report/

This kid is 19. He committed the murder he was convicted for in 2016, in 2017 shortly after his arrest he cut off his ankle monitor and ran away, hiding out for a few months. During that time, he allegedly, committed another murder and a violent assault on a senior citizen (in addition to his actual absconding from house arrest). Meanwhile, the kid gets famous, because during his time on the lam, he releases a rap single which gets coverage and starts making money, gets signed to a record deal.

What am I getting at?

This shit right here:

Donald Glover discussed Tay-K in a profile in The New Yorker. “Tay-K was [16] and on the run for murder when he made this song [‘The Race’]. It’s a real Jesse James story,” he said. “Look at this kid! He’s a baby! He never had a chance! Y’all are forgetting what rap is. Rap is ‘I don’t care what you think in society, wagging your finger at me for calling women “bitches”—when, for you to have two cars, I have to live in the projects.’”

Glover added, “Young black kid in Texas with a murder on him.... He’s definitely going to die, and it’s sad.”
    It's not sad that this, now convicted, murderer is going to die. It's not sad that he is being sued by the victims of his crime seeking to claim all of the earnings he made from his rap single that he produced and wrote while being a fugitive. A song that accounts his crimes and glorifies them.

What is sad...is that people in our society think it's sad for him. He was directly responsible for the death of at least one person and potentially a second and the violent injury of a third and fourth persons.

I don't get it. This is what I don't get. Have we devolved so much in our society that we're willing to excuse the murder of innocent people, because they had a hard life? If so that is sad.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-19-2019 at 02:14 PM.

I hear you--although I do think it's sad, but so is chemo, and many other facts of life. I have nothing much to add, so here's a lady on a dock twirling double nunchaku. Makes about as much sense as glorifying predation upon the elderly:

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

when, for you to have two cars, I have to live in the projects.’”

Well, according to him, your wrong. I guess I'm extra wrong cause I have 3 vehicles. It really ain't about race, there's plenty of white trash in shitty singlewides singing the same sad song. Cause it isn't about personal choice, fo sho

I'm just glad he had a hit single so his victims can get some form of settlement. Matter of fact, all the proceeds should go to a victims trust fund, ill gotten gains and such.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post
    I hear you--although I do think it's sad, but so is chemo, and many other facts of life. I have nothing much to add, so here's a lady on a dock twirling double nunchaku. Makes about as much sense as glorifying predation upon the elderly:

NO FAIR!!!! No one should be able to twirl chucks with out the dreaded ball strike.
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    "Tay-K 47" a young rap artist from the D/FW Metroplex was found guilty an hour ago for robbery and murder, he beat the capital murder charge. He faces 5-99 years in prison for that conviction. And then it's Bexar County's turn to prosecute him for a separate capital murder charge.

https://pitchfork.com/news/tay-k-fou...murder-report/

This kid is 19. He committed the murder he was convicted for in 2016, in 2017 shortly after his arrest he cut off his ankle monitor and ran away, hiding out for a few months. During that time, he allegedly, committed another murder and a violent assault on a senior citizen (in addition to his actual absconding from house arrest). Meanwhile, the kid gets famous, because during his time on the lam, he releases a rap single which gets coverage and starts making money, gets signed to a record deal.

What am I getting at?

This shit right here:

It's not sad that this, now convicted, murderer is going to die. It's not sad that he is being sued by the victims of his crime seeking to claim all of the earnings he made from his rap single that he produced and wrote while being a fugitive. A song that accounts his crimes and glorifies them.

What is sad...is that people in our society think it's sad for him. He was directly responsible for the death of at least one person and potentially a second and the violent injury of a third and fourth persons.

I don't get it. This is what I don't get. Have we devolved so much in our society that we're willing to excuse the murder of innocent people, because they had a hard life? If so that is sad.
    This is just one small reflection of the crazy "value system" held by a sizable portion of this country.

It's sad but it's nothing new. We've been glorifying and building myths around bad guys since time immemorial it seems.
    Don't expect it'll change anytime soon.

I appreciate your sentiments, though, Rob.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    It's sad but it's nothing new. We've been glorifying and building myths around bad guys since time immemorial it seems.
    Don't expect it'll change anytime soon.

I appreciate your sentiments, though, Rob.
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but it's not so much that "we" are glorifying and building myths around bad guys but rather that the real bad guy is writing his own mythology in real time. He's directly using his crimes to build his brand and generate a legal stream of revenue, which many people apparently view as acceptable. I hope the victims' families get every last cent this kid ever makes.

(Time for sleep. Goodnight.)

Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    I don't mean to be argumentative, but it's not so much that "we" are glorifying and building myths around bad guys but rather that the real bad guy is writing his own mythology in real time. He's directly using his crimes to build his brand and generate a legal stream of revenue, which many people apparently view as acceptable. I hope the victims' families get every last cent this kid ever makes.

(Time for sleep. Goodnight.)
    I wasn't actually referring above to what this miscreant was doing but what we, (society at large), have been known to do in romanticizing those who run counter to the law (on any variety of levels).

I'd be happy if the jail falls down on top of him before he wastes another day of the taxpayers money or another breath of air.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidheshooter View Post

I could only get through 46 seconds of that before I had to stop..I could'nt take any more..

Site Supporter
    Is our society so devolved that we let the killer of 4 off for affluenza? We let a rapist off because he comes from a good family? Here's a breakthrough thought. People excuse hideous actions if they have an identity with the perpetrator. Child rapist billionaire who is friends with two Presidents (one to be), famous attorneys, etc. gets a BS sentence that isn't even real jail time. Ethnic, social class, religion, wealth - take your choice.

So this is a yawn when it comes to outrage. Folks get outraged when they have some hegative animus against the group that is giving a break to their own. Another yawn.

Bad guys are sometimes valued as they are seen as alphas that society needs to be the alphas for the tribal group.

User Tag List