Page 2 of 34 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Corvette

Gucci gear, Walmart skill Darth_Uno's Avatar
    I fell in love with the C5 when it came out and I still want one. I still remember the Motor Trend article I read on it when I was 15.

I was *thiiiiiis* close to buying one a while back, as in I was at at the lot with papers in front of me, but my wife complained it was a manual and she couldn't drive it.

Maybe for the C9 they’ll ditch the fiberglass ?
    Don’t blame me. I didn’t vote for that dumb bastard.

I’ll pass on the recommendation to read the book “All Corvettes Are Red”. It charts the tortuous odyssey which was the C5 Corvette development program. At one point the engineers had to literally embezzle development money from GM to finish critical testing, as the suits had cancelled the Corvette and all official funding.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I was *thiiiiiis* close to buying one a while back, as in I was at at the lot with papers in front of me, but my wife complained it was a manual and she couldn't drive it.
    Shortly after we got married, we decided we wanted a 4x4 (after nearly high-siding my wife's Grand Am on an unpaved forest "road"). After walking away from multiple good deals because they were manual, I talked my wife into learning how to drive a stick. We would take my little 5spd Toyota coupe to the nearby high school parking lot (this was Summer) and practice. I made her practice over and over again starting and stopping. Once she got that down, we worked on getting the car moving, shifting to 2nd, then 3rd, then back to 2nd. Once she was comfortable with that, I started having her drive us home from our sessions. Eventually, within a month or so, she was comfortable enough to drive our new (to us) 4x4 to work on her own. That was 17 years ago. We've purchased two other manuals since then. She prefers automatic, but can and does drive a manual in any situation.

So, what are you waiting for?

Chris

DO NOT GO QUIETLY INTO THE HMMMMM OF BATTERIES!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Mid engine at $60k and sub 3s 0-60? That is the sound of Porsche Cayman prices falling into the basement. I doubt it will affect 992 sales though.

Styling? Have to see it in the flesh. Butt might be too big.

Need to see some leaked YT videos of it going around The Ring. And an official time.

And GM build quality? How is that these days?

How will it be as an everyday driver? Sightlines?

Hope they sell a bunch.

2020 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post

...that said, why did they make the interior super silly with the buttons???

Wait.

Are you saying this row of buttons will be on the actual car?!

Bwahahaha.

Shirley, they can’t be serious.

Edit: I was so fascinated by the buttons I just noticed the steering wheel. It’s square. With a 12 o’clock strip.

Square.

What.

The.
    Last edited by RJ; 07-19-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well...

I was really prepared to hate it. But frankly, it looks way better than I thought it would. And much better than the outgoing C7, which looks like a cartoon.
    When we bought our C6 (used), I always thought the C7 was a sharper looking car. We just didn’t want to drop that kind of coin at the time. Fast forward 5 years to just a couple months back, and we picked up a 2019. Seems we get a lot more comments on it, than we did on the ‘09.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    That said, I'm not sure I could ever get used to a Corvette with the engine behind the driver. I get why they did it and at 60k, it will be the fastest mid-engined car in the price range. Stomping all over the Porsche Cayman (even the S), the Lotus Evora, and the Alfa 4C (as though that is even really a competitor...). And it may well stomp all over everything Ford and Mopar are putting out, as well as some of the 100k Euro and Japanese offerings.
    Weren’t they already doing that with the Z06 at least? Granted you’re looking at 80K, instead of 60.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I love it, but as I’m a dinosaur, I wish it would be offered with a manual.
    I knew for a while they were ditching the stick, but was pleasantly surprised they are offering a DCT instead. That was the one thing I wish I had in our ‘19. Wife’s one concession was no stick this time. Our ‘09 was a manual. I countered with, if we can’t have a stick, than it has to be a Z06.

User Tag List