Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Corvette

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth_Uno View Post
    I fell in love with the C5 when it came out and I still want one. I still remember the Motor Trend article I read on it when I was 15.

I was *thiiiiiis* close to buying one a while back, as in I was at at the lot with papers in front of me, but my wife complained it was a manual and she couldn't drive it.
    I think the C5 convertibles are the nicest looking 'Vettes in existence. I love the body colored "waterfall" between the seats. I test drove one that was the same money and about the same miles as my Camaro, but the ride height made it difficult to see as useful in my city. I couldn't see over the hood of the sedan next to me to see oncoming traffic for a left turn, plus our roads are nearly to the point a moon buggy is a better choice.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

We aren't really saying that anything made after the C3 is prettier than the generations before it, right? I'm cool saying the C5 is the best looking of the generations since the C3, because it is...but they really can't hold a candle to the older stuff.

It's a toss up between a '57 and the '61/62. But these days, I think the '61/62 cars are my favorite Corvettes. A blend of new and old with the old front end, mated almost seamlessly to the new Stingray rear end.

Name:  52368291-199-1961-Chevrolet-Corvette.jpg
Views: 593
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  used-1961-chevrolet-corvette-forsale-8031-14846626-6-1024.jpg
Views: 583
Size:  88.2 KB

Former President Obama gets it - '63 Split Window is insanely gorgeous

Name:  1963-chevrolet-corvette-stingray-seinfeld-obama.jpg
Views: 528
Size:  68.5 KB

And though not my favorite generation, my wife loves her some early C3s, like this '71. In fact, as soon as we buy a house the next purchase after that will be a C3 Corvette for her.

Name:  1971-chevrolet-corvette.jpg
Views: 617
Size:  71.6 KB

I owned a C3. Nice looking cars, fun to drive. Not a patch on the C5 convertible, though.

Each to their own, of course. The first gen is too antique-y for me. No interest in them at all.

I can *appreciate* the first gen without actually ever wanting to own one, but the '63 split window is one of my top 5 dream cars.

I like the look of the C3 but IIRC they were pretty neutered due to govt emissions regulations that the manufacturers hadn't figured out how to "cheat" or work around yet. Maybe that's just the later years? Either way the design is tainted in my mind.

The C4 was the gen when I was in middle school, high school, and starting college, and so it's the car I remember the "rich kids" parents' buying for them. Kinda makes it a love/hate for me.

The C7 is my favorite (excluding the aforementioned '63). Or was, right up until last week. The C8 is a definite contender now for my favorite, but I'll want to see one in the wild first.

The C3s were definitely neutered, particularly if you had a CA compliant one. Looks were sweet, though, and the interior was fun for the time.

C4 was too much of a flying wedge to me. The interior looked dated almost immediately. I test drove one and instantly hated it.

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    The interior looked dated almost immediately.
    Like every other American car until a few years ago?

I've had Z06 in my screenname everywhere forever, I've always had a soft spot for Corvettes, but the C8 is almost a disconnect. I'm thankful that an American car company actually seems to give a shit about performance beyond 1/4 mile times and noise, but it'll take me a bit to come around. The C3 and C7 are my faves, with the C7 looking really fucking good. I'd almost rather see them dump the Camaro, keep the C7 and rev it to a C8, and have the mid-engine be a new car all together.

I'm unsure that I'll have a car that I can't drive from spring to fall, but if this slams the C7 pricing I could see a ZR1 in the future. I don't see that happening though, I think those prices will stay put, dealers will mark up C8's, and it'll be two years for the market to normalize.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Like every other American car until a few years ago?
    No. Some interiors are timeless, some are dated, and some are a mix.

vs recycled switchgear from economy cars and pickup trucks.

2020 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    No. Some interiors are timeless, some are dated, and some are a mix.

vs recycled switchgear from economy cars and pickup trucks.
    I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean the classic cars, I meant mostly the 90’s until not long ago. Specifically the new Camaros and the like. They just couldn’t compete.

Classics are classic for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by orionz06; 07-20-2019 at 05:27 PM.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I wasn’t clear, didn’t mean the classic cars, I meant mostly the 90’s until not long ago. Specifically the new Camaros and the like. They just couldn’t compete.

Classics are classic for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Oh, yeah, the '90s Generic Motors were pretty much everything was recycled from every other model. Big slabs of plastic, cheap-o buttons, rattling door panels, etc.

I think Lincoln still had some reasonable interiors in the 70's - 90's. At least you knew it was a Lincoln. Remember the vacuum speedometer that filled with fluid to indicate the speed? I still think those are awesome. I am a big fan of even the not-so-classic Lincolns, but my wife insists they are "old man cars" and was pretty excited when I sold my last one.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Maybe for the C9 they’ll ditch the fiberglass ?
    Yeah, what's wrong with aluminum?

It's worked on aircraft for a long time and it works for Ferrari.

In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List