Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Corvette

2020 Corvette

Personally, I LOVE the look & sound of this thing.

Chevy Page

Car & Driver
    The 2020 Chevy Corvette C8 Will Start at Less Than $60,000!
    Last edited by rob_s; 07-19-2019 at 01:04 PM.

Site Supporter
    I just need that lottery win or sell a bunch of guns!

Well...

I was really prepared to hate it. But frankly, it looks way better than I thought it would. And much better than the outgoing C7, which looks like a cartoon.

That said, I'm not sure I could ever get used to a Corvette with the engine behind the driver. I get why they did it and at 60k, it will be the fastest mid-engined car in the price range. Stomping all over the Porsche Cayman (even the S), the Lotus Evora, and the Alfa 4C (as though that is even really a competitor...). And it may well stomp all over everything Ford and Mopar are putting out, as well as some of the 100k Euro and Japanese offerings.

Still not sure I could do a behind-the-driver Corvette though. And I worry if we're dealing with typical GM engineering. Or if they cost-shared and stole the Acura NSX platform? Finally, the lack of a three-pedal option makes it a deal breaker for me. I know many don't/won't feel the same way, I get it's faster with a dual clutch box, but I like my clutch pedal.

That said Chevy did smart, ripping a page from Lotus' playbook. "Let's cram a really reliable engine, into a mid-engined platform. Eventually we'll add a blower on top. And we'll sell it for 60-85k." And by virtue of being a Chevrolet you can actually get serviced in every frickin' town in every frickin' state they'll sell a bunch.
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 07-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.

They've been flirting with a mid-engine Corvette for decades yet I still find myself surprised that they actually pulled the trigger. I remember when the Corvette Indy concept car was introduced in the 80s...(back when a. Popular Mechanics subscription was my internet...)

Name:  screen-shot-2019-07-18-at-5-13-47-pm-1563484457.jpg
Views: 1674
Size:  59.2 KB

The Corvette had always been a lot of bang for the buck - this has real potential, but the Corvette has had the same basic lines since 1983. I wonder whether the branding will work here regardless of the merits of the car.
    Last edited by JSGlock34; 07-19-2019 at 01:58 PM.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

It's better than what I expected, but I expected the C8 to be truly hideous. I hate the fact that they couldn't make the C7 better, and make a separate supercar with a different name. I've had three vettes, and I'm a bit attached to the front engine layout

Hmmm...I see where they got the inspiration.

Name:  Corvette.jpg
Views: 1599
Size:  39.5 KB

Name:  GT.jpg
Views: 1615
Size:  64.1 KB
    Last edited by Hambo; 07-19-2019 at 04:20 PM.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

While the current model is a beast, I still like the looks of my C5Z (and wish I still had it). It really stood out as a different than the C5, while the C6/C7 look similar to the C6Z/C7Z. That said, the C5s pickup truck steering wheel and interior were terrible. BUT I didn't buy it for the interior or stereo.

The 2020 looks nice and I wish I could make it happen. Maybe down the road I can pickup a used one.

...that said, why did they make the interior super silly with the buttons???

I love it, but as I’m a dinosaur, I wish it would be offered with a manual.
    #RESIST

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rayrevolver View Post
    ...that said, why did they make the interior super silly with the buttons???
    Chevy's website has the answer:
    This fighter jet-inspired layout puts climate and...
    Because technology and cool.

I like it, but I'm sure I'll be sticking with my Camaro SS for a long time. While it's 6.2L makes a mere 426 hp and in a heavier car to boot, it lets me shift my own gears and is plenty fast enough to keep me entertained.
    Sorta around sometimes for some of your shitty mod needs.

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Well...

I was really prepared to hate it. But frankly, it looks way better than I thought it would. And much better than the outgoing C7, which looks like a cartoon.

That said, I'm not sure I could ever get used to a Corvette with the engine behind the driver. I get why they did it and at 60k, it will be the fastest mid-engined car in the price range. Stomping all over the Porsche Cayman (even the S), the Lotus Evora, and the Alfa 4C (as though that is even really a competitor...). And it may well stomp all over everything Ford and Mopar are putting out, as well as some of the 100k Euro and Japanese offerings.

Still not sure I could do a behind-the-driver Corvette though. And I worry if we're dealing with typical GM engineering. Or if they cost-shared and stole the Acura NSX platform? Finally, the lack of a three-pedal option makes it a deal breaker for me. I know many don't/won't feel the same way, I get it's faster with a dual clutch box, but I like my clutch pedal.

That said Chevy did smart, ripping a page from Lotus' playbook. "Let's cram a really reliable engine, into a mid-engined platform. Eventually we'll add a blower on top. And we'll sell it for 60-85k." And by virtue of being a Chevrolet you can actually get serviced in every frickin' town in every frickin' state they'll sell a bunch.
    It’s an amazing looking car.

Which is why I expect itll be 2 years before you can order one anywhere close to $60K. Knowing your typical GM dealer, they’ll “market adjust” base C8s to over $75k on the street .
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List