Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Homemade Case Lube, Must Be Popular On Amazon...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    That particular lanolin was not on Prime, so I got one that was.

I only wanted one spray bottle, and it was an add on item, so I bought some coffee to hit the $25.
    I've been applying it with one of these (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) with reasonable success.

Making it myself wouldn't save anything.

I bought 8oz of Frankford Arsenal spray lube on Groundhog Day in 2017 and loaded close to 30,000 rounds. I ordered another bottle when I looked up the order because I'm almost out. The math is: 2 bottles (16oz) for $20=five to six years or 60,000 rounds.

I just threw away whatever was in a 2oz bottle of RCBS case lube that was at least 15 years old, and had been used for all single stage loading and case forming. I'm pretty sure the new bottle I have is #3 since I started reloading in the Reagan era.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I was thinking more on ample supply than cost saving.

I bought 8oz of Frankford Arsenal spray lube
    Hmmm, didn't know that option, might have done that offa Amazon.

I like this stuff

Using it for the first time. My research on concentration showed between 8:1 and 10:1, so I just took a shot at it and didn't fill the bottle, so I could reduce if I wanted to, and I probably hit approximately 8:1.

Right now I am forming the 300BO cases, and I am running them through an RCBS small base 223 die I have forever in station 2, and then through a Lee 300BO die in station 4, before cutting them off in the saw, and the effort is almost nil and the stroke is very smooth.

I might even consider adding a little more alcohol. Maybe...

I might even consider adding a little more alcohol. Maybe...
    I like this stuff! I did dilute it some. No idea of the ratio but is just tinted the color of the lanolin and it is still working great.

While I get your point, and it's a solid one, I make my own with some 90% rubbing alcohol, vegetable oil, and a little dish soap. Cost is maybe 50 cents and last me a year or two

It wasn't that I was trying to save money when I first started doing it about 15 years ago, it was that I wanted to be able to easily wash off the lube with soap and water when I was finished sizing rifle brass. The 3 or 4 lubes that I tried were really difficult but my formula comes right off.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    While I get your point, and it's a solid one, I make my own with some 90% rubbing alcohol, vegetable oil, and a little dish soap. Cost is maybe 50 cents and last me a year or two

It wasn't that I was trying to save money when I first started doing it about 15 years ago, it was that I wanted to be able to easily wash off the lube with soap and water when I was finished sizing rifle brass. The 3 or 4 lubes that I tried were really difficult but my formula comes right off.
    Making it because you like to make you own stuff, or because you want a specific formula are reasons enough to do it.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I made my own with 1 oz of Lanolin and a bottle of Heet in the red bottle. It's gotta be the red bottle. Works real well.

Quote Originally Posted by 4given View Post
    a bottle of Heet in the red bottle. It's gotta be the red bottle.
    It is my understanding the Heet red bottle is the easiest way to get the purest alcohol.

It is my understanding the Heet red bottle is the easiest way to get the purest alcohol.
    Yep, 98.5% Isopropyl alcohol.

User Tag List