Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SportCo Holdings Files Bankruptcy

SportCo Holdings Files Bankruptcy

This is a harbinger of things to come. Vendors are unsecured creditors and many manufacturers are owed millions that they likely may never see. In this market, that loss of revenue may be fatal. For buyers, this will result in fewer mechanisms for firearms, accessories, and ammo to get to the market. I know my local FFL used Ellett Brothers as a source of inventory. At least, he has no financial exposure, but hard-to-get items, like the Ruger Wrangler, will be harder for him to get. SportCo which is the parent company is reorganizing and plans to liquidate Jerry's and Ellett Brothers as part of the reorganization. Plus, there is a civil lawsuit arguing the owners of SportCo engaged in fraud.

https://www.thetacticalwire.com/feat...k9kWCsObc6xIO4

Yesterday, the “other shoe dropped” in the matter of SportCo Holdings, the company that owns, among others, Ellett Brothers and United Sporting Co. After months of rumors concerning their overall fiscal health, the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, saying it planned to liquidate it’s holdings.
    The top ten major unsecured creditors in the SportCo filing are (from #1 to #10) : Vista Outdoors ($3,299,326.61), Sturm Ruger ($3,196.842.10), Magpul Industries ($2,078,353.17), Savage Arms Rifles ($1,927,392.50), Bushnell Corp. ($1,879,795.66), Navico Company ($1,743,684.04), Henry RAC Holding Corp. ($1,467,618.00), Smith & Wesson Corp. ($1,386, 714.26), Garmin USA, Inc. ($1,150,579.41), and Fiocchi of America ($1,096, 632.70).
    According to the filing, that listing of individuals, managers and entities were collectively loaned a total of $188,864,420.94, ostensible to build Ellett Brothers LLC and the various affiliated subsidiaries. Instead, the suit alleges is the funds never used for their intended purpose. Instead the borrowers used them - along with proceeds of additional loans from other lenders- to enrich..themselves. In fact, the lawsuit claims that $183,169,466.94 of more than $188-million went to Wellspring IV- the controlling and largest shareholder of the borrowers. If that’s the case, this would unquestionably be the largest fraud case -ever- in the firearms industry.
    The story went on to report that H&K was losing a financial battle due to lagging sales, In fact, the report said, 2018’s losses were so significant that financial issues were only cushioned by “two bridging loans from an unnamed major shareholder.”

So severe was the situation that KPMG inserted a warning in their 2018 audit. The passage reads: “the lack of liquidity endangers the continued existence of Heckler & Koch. To ensure continued existence, significantly more revenue would have to be generated in the current year than the previous year.” Indications are that the necessary revenue generation hasn’t happened yet. Last month, H & K’s German workers approved a wage waiver, agreed to increase weekly working hours from 37 to 37.5 hours with no overtime, and cancelled a planned one-time payment of 400 Euros per worker. Earlier this year, H&K was forced to pay a multi-million fine over illegal arms exports to Mexico. H&K, meanwhile, remains in the competition for the new assault rifle for the Bundeswehr - which currently carries the company’s G36. But an issue outside rifle performance stipulated in the Ministry of Defense specs - is causing concern that H&K may be disqualified.

The issue? The overall fiscal health of companies being considered. H&K has asked for a change in the fiscal requirements, but the German report quotes politicians as saying any lessening of the fiscal requirements would be a very “political decision” -and not likely.
    More information on the lawsuit: https://www.thestate.com/news/busine...231381818.html
    Last edited by farscott; 06-12-2019 at 05:14 AM.

Just once I’d like to wake up to read a headline extolling positive news for the firearms industry and RKBA in general. Seems like all I hear about these days is one nut punch after another for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Site Supporter
    Not to be flippant, because this sucks a lot for the entire industry, but . . .
    Problems began a few years after Ellett Brothers was acquired by Wellspring Capital Management, a Delaware corporation, and placed under the control of Wellspring Capital Partners IV in 2008, according to the lawsuit.Wellspring formed SportCo and United Sporting to be parents to Ellett Brothers and its subsidiaries.
    I think I found the source of the problem . . . another “capital management” company sucking the lifeblood/cash/equity out of a company and then moving on to the next victim.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur."
    Disclaimer: I have previously worked in the firearms industry as an engineer. Thoughts and opinions expressed here are mine alone and not those of my prior employers.

That's sad about HK, they can make some really good stuff. Trouble with them as I see it, is they're generally overpriced, knocking the prices of the P series of pistols helped, they need to do the same with the rest..I mean, there's no reason a USP should cost around $800, $600 is more like it.. and how about sending the DA/SA guns out with decent DA trigger pulls? I have a HK45ct, and it has about 11lb DA trigger, and, to make matters worse, the hammer spring for a HK45c, fits it, and it only.. If HK wants to stay alive, how about listening to what your civilan customers want, instead of making what they think they want.. Hopefully, they'll figure out that they can't depend on military contracts to stay alive..

Quote Originally Posted by ralph View Post
    That's sad about HK, they can make some really good stuff. Trouble with them as I see it, is they're generally overpriced, knocking the prices of the P series of pistols helped, they need to do the same with the rest..I mean, there's no reason a USP should cost around $800, $600 is more like it.. and how about sending the DA/SA guns out with decent DA trigger pulls? I have a HK45ct, and it has about 11lb DA trigger, and, to make matters worse, the hammer spring for a HK45c, fits it, and it only.. If HK wants to stay alive, how about listening to what your civilan customers want, instead of making what they think they want.. Hopefully, they'll figure out that they can't depend on military contracts to stay alive..
    If they duplicated each MP5 “Pistol” Zenith makes and undercut them on price, it would definitely help their money problems. And a civilian MP7.

Site Supporter
    Multiple lessons here:

1) People who don't understand the industry or the products should not be running the company.

2) Manufacturers need a much better way to ensure that they get paid by their customer.

I wonder how much of a raise or bonus will be requested and approved by the court "because we need to keep these people from going elsewhere in these difficult times" after the manufacturers and employees have all been screwed?

With scenarios like this, I'm surprised credit terms are still a thing. You'll lose business without extending terms to a distributor but at the same time how much business does it take to cover 7-figure losses? NET Never terms probably have some finance department people looking for jobs at those creditor companies.

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinmove_ View Post
    Just once I’d like to wake up to read a headline extolling positive news for the firearms industry and RKBA in general. Seems like all I hear about these days is one nut punch after another for us.

Doesn't support the narrative.......

When someone unfamiliar with what they are asks me to explain what a PE is, I simply tell them they are just like bankers except 1/4 as bright and 4x more ruthless...

A friend from another distributor told me that the Ellet guys had a reputation for "living large" with lots of perks like executive retreats to the Carribean, etc. stuff like that. But the main problem was probably them taking on the inventory for a Hillary presidency and suddenly meeting the President Trump demand, a hole they were not at all well positioned to dig out of.

Obama was the greatest gun & ammo salesman of all time and Hillary might have been just as good.

So is now the time to panic buy some HKs?

User Tag List