Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    A bunch of you guys are real buzz killingtons.

This looks rad and I’m willing to suspend disbelief about his naval longevity because fuck yeah fighter planes!

Quote Originally Posted by jetfire
    This looks rad and I’m willing to suspend disbelief about his naval longevity because fuck yeah fighter planes!
    If there was a way to do some really good feel it in your chest theater quality sound or even better IMAX, I’d be happy just watching the fighter planes fly through a canyon.
    Last edited by txdpd; 07-20-2019 at 02:12 AM.
    Whether you think you can or you can't, you're probably right.

Here is a 2.5 minute clip from a little known indy film titled "Sleep With Me" where Quentin Tarrantino makes a walk in appearance and explains why the movie Top Gun is one of the greatest scripts in history because it is subversion, and is really a story about man's struggle with his homosexuality: "You can ride my tail."

Last edited by Ed L; 07-20-2019 at 03:06 AM.

“The sad thing is, I saw a lot of really good Officer's, I mean leadership I was in awe of, never get past 0-3 or 0-4.”
    Yup—I spent over 20 years as a US Navy officer; many of the best folks I served with got stuck at 03, 04, 05 because they focused on their mission and their troops and would not bootlick or play upper echelon BS games, and thus were sacrificed by the system. To paraphrase Pat Rogers--you may love the organization, but it does not love you back.

Name:  GKR and PJR CampP R130 2000.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  94.2 KB

“If somebody made a movie that totally realistically portrayed military life, nobody would watch it.”
    Wonder what folks think of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENY9Gf7JJi0 ?
    Last edited by DocGKR; 07-20-2019 at 09:49 AM.
    Facts matter...Feelings Can Lie

Site Supporter
    Doc
    Thank you for your service, past, present and future.

It is always a pleasure when posters with actual experience weigh in on a given topic. This is particularly true when you have BTDT in the Navy for example.

Be safe and well.

Quote Originally Posted by DocGKR View Post
    To paraphrase Pat Rogers--you may love the organization, but it does not love you back.
    Or, as we used to say, "I love the fuckin' Army, and the Army loves fuckin' me."
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by txdpd View Post
    If there was a way to do some really good feel it in your chest theater quality sound or even better IMAX, I’d be happy just watching the fighter planes fly through a canyon.
    Patch a YouTube feed of star wars canyon videos into iMax...?

I'd pay for that!
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

During my USN service, the two best officers I ever served under knew they'd never make flag rank. One was a Lt. Commander who served a tour as our XO, the other was an Ensign who was a mustang (prior enlisted) who served as my division officer. They were both very mission oriented men who also knew the mission couldn't be accomplished without taking care of the crew. They both put those priorities over their own careers and knew that limited their promotional climb, but they were good with that. While there are rare exceptions, it takes a certain kind of political animal to rise to flag rank in the military. Those needed to win wars are sometimes different than those needed to win battles and a different kind altogether can be needed to win the peace.

The same was true in law enforcement. Very rarely did I see good street cops rise through the ranks, in that sense the LE world is worse than the military. The number of sycophants and political snakes occupying the top echelon of law enforcement is truly toxic.

That being said, fifty percent of the folks in this thread really need to get the stick out of their ass. Top Gun was a ridiculous bit of '80's cheese that exploded through the envelope of plausibility. Top Gun redux looks to be no different. You're taking the subject far too seriously Francis. My only issue is that Tom Cruise is simply too old to play this kind of role and he refuses to accept that. He's actually a talented actor who could keep his career going even stronger if he'd embrace his age. (Something women are rarely allowed to do in Hollywood. Tom's love interests are always half his age as an example.) I think it will suck and I'm sure I'll see it anyway.

My favorite Top Gun story:

I enlisted soon after Top Gun premiered. On January 5, 1987 at 00:30 hours, I reported for boot camp at Naval Recruit Training Center San Diego. About eighty of us were herded into a room and told to set on the floor. A Filipino Chief Petty Officer walked in and asked us, "Who join Navy 'cause you see Top Gun?" About half a dozen idiots actually raised their hands. "Hahahahaha, you dum maddah fuhkas!" Then, "How many of you join Navy 'cause reecrootah tell you you be fightah pilaht?" A couple of idiots were even dumber and kept their hands up. "Hahahahahaha, you dumb maddah fuhkas! You no be fightah pilaht, I got yo ass now maddah fuhkas! I still remember the crestfallen look of shock on their faces.

Priceless.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Patch a YouTube feed of star wars canyon videos into iMax...?

I'd pay for that!
    I still think the old footage of French Mirage pilots is neat.

"You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Doc
    Thank you for your service, past, present and future.

It is always a pleasure when posters with actual experience weigh in on a given topic. This is particularly true when you have BTDT in the Navy for example.

Be safe and well.
    Did it occur to you I was well in my lane to post what I did? Or were you too busy virtue signaling?

Perhaps next time an Air Force vet comments about the status of the military - or intent to discuss the subject further elsewhere- you’ll simply read the comment as posted.

Returning to the topic, I came across a YouTube vid from a Navy pilot that fact checked the trailer. I’ll admit I was wrong about the CGI, period- most of the shots in the trailer are actual Super Hornet footage, albeit with Cruise in the back or at improbable altitudes. https://youtu.be/y6aAhfyWwNc
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

User Tag List