Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    I have the book. It’s an entry-level, but quite technical engineering-type treatise on early 80s 1 v 1 and 2 v 1 fighter tactics.
    It would be interesting to check out from the library, but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend spending 40-some dollars on it.
    Is there something more current that you’d recommend?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    Is there something more current that you’d recommend?
    Nothing that I know of, I’m afraid.

The market just isn’t out there, and the the Air Force and Navy write what they need for their own audiences, and don’t need to publish it.

It’s not a bad book. I just found the content a bit dry and technical.
    And that’s speaking as a guy with an undergrad degree in aeronautical engineering and a career flying fighters.
    Last edited by GyroF-16; 12-21-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GyroF-16 View Post
    Nothing that I know of, I’m afraid.

The market just isn’t out there, and the the Air Force and Navy write what they need for their own audiences, and don’t need to publish it.

It’s not a bad book. I just found the content a bit dry and technical.
    And that’s speaking as a guy with an undergrad degree in aeronautical engineering and a career flying fighters.
    It does lack the adrenaline of “there I was....” stories. ;-)

It was a real-eye opener for me. I had never really thought about energy management like that, or how differences in performance can actually play out in combat.

And I’m still amazed at how fighter pilots can keep track of the relative positions and velocities of all the players while maneuvering.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by peterb View Post
    It does lack the adrenaline of “there I was....” stories. ;-)

It was a real-eye opener for me. I had never really thought about energy management like that, or how differences in performance can actually play out in combat.

And I’m still amazed at how fighter pilots can keep track of the relative positions and velocities of all the players while maneuvering.
    Ok, that’s good to hear. Maybe my perspective was too narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Discussing tactics around Top Gun is like bringing a metronome to a rock concert.

Set popcorn to “on” and brain to “off” for this one
    Agreed, as long as it's not TOO off the wall; much like John Wick
    Rules to live by: 1. Eat meat, 2. Shoot guns, 3. Fire, 4. Gasoline, 5. Make juniors
    TDA: Learn it. Live it. Love it.... Read these: People Management Triggers 1, 2, 3
    If anyone sees a broken image of mine, please PM me.

User Tag List