Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    For some unknown reason, they seem to have not cast Kelly McGillis to reprise the role of Charlie?

Attachment 40292
    I'm guessing she's doing community theater now...
    Last edited by ralph; 07-20-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Banned
    Real Top Gun

I was into 10mm Auto before it sold out and went mainstream, but these days I'm here for the revolver and epidemiology information.

Site Supporter
    Thanks, that led me to an article about a real F-14 test pilot shooting himself down during missile testing. It’s a first hand account and worth a read if you have a passing interest in naval aviation.

http://www.ejectionsite.com/F-14%20SHOOTDOWN.pdf

Since Mavericks age/rank is quickly becoming a meme , I’ll point out that it’s only an issue if we assume TGII happens in the present day. The Super Hornets been in active service since 2001, so the trailer footage could have happened at any time in the last 18 years.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    I noticed the Tomcat. It is from the Nimitz when it went back in time to stop Pearl Harbor (as then the movie chickened out on the fight). The plane returned later in the time warp to now, unlike the other F-14s.

In the original, the opponents were A-4s and F-5s. Going to be P-51s? I heard on the radio, someone say the opponents will be drones? That will be exciting.

Top Gun - Nine Things Hollywood Got Wrong About the U.S. Navy’s Fighter Weapons School - MilitaryHistoryNow.com

This bit is relevant to earlier discussions:
    A Real-life ‘Maverick’ Pinpointed the Problem

In July 1968 the Navy’s boss, Chief of Naval Operations Admiral Thomas Moorer, charged Captain Frank Ault to do a study to find out why and how a supposedly third-rate air force could go toe-to-toe with some of the best-trained fighter pilots in the world and blast them out of the sky. Ault had a reputation for bluntness, which at times bordered on outright insubordination. Despite this, he was given broad authority to investigate every nook and cranny of naval air operations. He and his team used it, seeking answers to a series of fundamental questions: Is the navy getting the best planes, air-to-air missiles and weapons systems possible and are shipboard crews and pilots actually trained to do their jobs? According to Ault’s findings, the short answer to these questions was a resounding “hell, no.” On Jan. 1, 1969, he gave Admiral Moorer what would become known as the Ault Report. It pulled no punches. In fact, the document knocked quite a few admirals’ noses out of joint. His report chapter-and-versed a whopping 242 failings, large and small, in shipboard and air operations that explained in detail what and why Navy pilots were failing in air combat over North Vietnam. The biggest culprit of all: the Navy’s new interceptor air combat doctrine. Pilots would need to be retrained, and fast.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    In the original, the opponents were A-4s and F-5s. Going to be P-51s? I heard on the radio, someone say the opponents will be drones? That will be exciting.
    Cruise has owned and flown a P-51 for many years, and of course there was one in the trailer. I read that he actually flew some of the aircraft in the movie...wouldn’t surprise me if he found a way to sneak his P-51 in there.

Thanks for the link, but what a poorly titled article. Not sure how any of that related to the portrayal of the school in the film - Top Gun certainly wasn't a documentary, but it briefly captured the salient points about why the school was founded. Several of the 'things' that the article says that "Hollywood Got Wrong" were explicitly mentioned in the movie.
    "When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    I heard on the radio, someone say the opponents will be drones? That will be exciting.
    Considering the ongoing buzz about replacing or augmenting manned combat aircraft with Unmanned Aerial Vehicles -- whether remotely operated, autonomous, or semi-autonomous* -- that's a plausible story line, including plausible reasons for retired fighter jocks to be involved.

*I.e., Warplanes: The Robotic Loyal Wingman, Warplanes: Britain Creates Robotic Wingmen
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List