Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Top Gun Trailer is Out

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrunner View Post
    I thought the same thing and that's why I'm going to pass on this movie.

Within the first 30 minutes, someone will say "he was a legend back in the day, but then he got screwed when he bucked the system." The middle part of the movie will be him trying to prove himself against the young pilots, butting heads with the brass, and questioning retirement. Redemption will come when he saves the world from communism, probably by sacrificing himself.
    Slow night at work last night so I did some research. Assuming Maverick was the Commander Air Group he would have been an 06 (Captain/Colonel). In the trailer Tom Skerritt says that he can't be promoted whatever they're going to say he did if it was so bad that he was permanently passed over for promotion they would have already been processing him for separation and he never would have had a CAG slot. Even if he just was randomly passed over for promotion to Rear Admiral (lower half) the most they would have let him stay on active duty was 30 years

A bunch of you guys are real buzz killingtons.

This looks rad and I’m willing to suspend disbelief about his naval longevity because fuck yeah fighter planes!

Trying to decide if this version of the trailer is better...

"When the phone rang, Parker was in the garage, killing a man."

I don't mind a formulaic movie involving jets, but it's Tom Cruise that kills it for me. I just don't like the guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    Slow night at work last night so I did some research. Assuming Maverick was the Commander Air Group he would have been an 06 (Captain/Colonel). In the trailer Tom Skerritt says that he can't be promoted whatever they're going to say he did if it was so bad that he was permanently passed over for promotion they would have already been processing him for separation and he never would have had a CAG slot. Even if he just was randomly passed over for promotion to Rear Admiral (lower half) the most they would have let him stay on active duty was 30 years
    This is probably the most accurate piece of Top Gun 2, Virtual Reality. Politically unpopular officers usually top out at O-6 and sometimes lower. Sometimes that’s justified by performance, others it’s a result of telling the truth too often.

If we really want to max out the “Reality Lens” an orders-violating screwup wouldn’t have been within ten miles of Miramar in the first place. Then there’d be no movie, and thus no amazing A-4 vs F-14 footage.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Far Upper Midwest. Lower Midwest When I Absolutely Have To
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPAKevin View Post
    For some unknown reason, they seem to have not cast Kelly McGillis to reprise the role of Charlie?

Attachment 40292

“....Take your breath away....”

Val Kilmer is in it? I saw him in person a few years back and he was in VERY rough shape. Obviously fighting serious illness of some kind. He literally looked like a homeless man. I’m glad he beat or has controlled whatever it was.

I vividly recall a sim check back in the day when the original first came out. The instructor and the captain (good buddies) had seen the movie the night before. The sim tech gave us all an odd look when we walked down the gantry afterwards.
    Last edited by entropy; 07-19-2019 at 08:56 AM.
    Working diligently to enlarge my group size.

Site Supporter
    GardoneVT

"Politically unpopular officers usually top out at O-6 and sometimes lower. Sometimes that’s justified by performance, others it’s a result of telling the truth too often."

On what direct experience do you base that on? In what branch(es) of the military did you serve? At what rank?

thx

DB

Site Supporter
    Who is Tom going to fight? Shooting down some third world adversary as in the original is not that exciting. Fighting a near peer force seems politically incorrect.

I know, Amazon delivery drones are taken over by Skynet and Tom saves the day with daring acrobatics through suburban neighborhoods. Look for the shirtless shuffleboard game in age appropriate athletic male bonding competition.

Oh look, Mavericks's on the highway to the retirement home.

Gag.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

Quote Originally Posted by entropy View Post
    Val Kilmer is in it? I saw him in person a few years back and he was in VERY rough shape. Obviously fighting serious illness of some kind. He literally looked like a homeless man. I’m glad he beat or has controlled whatever it was.
    He played a washed up detective in The Snowman(2017) and looked Mickey Rourke rough. Time is not often a friend to actors and actresses.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
    Who is Tom going to fight? Shooting down some third world adversary as in the original is not that exciting. Fighting a near peer force seems politically incorrect.
    Name:  tomcruisealiens.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  9.6 KB
    Last edited by NEPAKevin; 07-19-2019 at 12:24 PM.
    "You can't win a war with choirboys. " Mad Mike Hoare

User Tag List